Thread: Ways to Accelerate Fixx Breakthrough?

Ways to Accelerate Fixx Breakthrough?

Although today's younger generation have resources available to them more than any generation before them, it is still a chore to look back into the history of rock and roll and try to acquaint oneself with all the bands and music of yesteryear. That's why it is incumbent upon rock critics, deejays and station programmers to assist the new generation by mentioning bands from the past and playing their music. It's also helpful when current bands share their influences with their audiences. I think this is a sore point for The Fixx. Critics and deejays have dropped the ball. They have failed to sustain the reputation and song legacy of The Fixx. VH1, deejays on Satellite radio and rock critics sometimes refer to The Fixx as a one-hit wonder or as a new-wave synth band that stopped in the 80's. Other critics and deejays who know better are content in letting this erroneous characterization persist. It's really an injustice not just to the band but also to the next generation of potential fans who are missing out on their music. So how does the band reclaim their legacy? **They need to be reevaluated on a national or global scale.** They haven't yet reached this reappraisal point with the general public and rock critics but I believe their continued touring gets them closer and closer. By touring every year, playing old songs and new, they can only gain momentum and new fans. There is just no way that they can lose fans with the way they play. So their audience should build every year. **But how many years would it take before they reach critical mass word-of-mouth?** The question is: Can this breakthrough point be accelerated with some other event? Check out some of the ideas I listed below. I think some of these ideas alone or in combination could accelerate the breakthrough point of The Fixx and lead to a reappraisal by critics and public and ultimately a reclaiming of their musical legacy.

1) Playing in a worldwide concert on the order of Live8 and stealing the show
    2) Writing, recording and performing the next James Bond song and then possibly getting an Oscar nod for it and playing it live at the ceremony
    3) Having a highly regarded artist (eg. Jagger, Sting, Bono, Debbie Harry, Tina) publicly praising the band and then having this soundbite hitting the news wires & MTV
    4) Having a current hot band (eg. Franz Ferdinand, The Killers) publicly praising the Fixx on MTV or in Rolling Stone as a signicant influence
    5) Having VH1 do another program this time polling critics and fellow artists on the top unsung bands and having The Fixx place high on the list
    6) Surprise billboard commentators with a solid debut on the Top 200 album chart which would generate some press
    7) Having a track from new album show up on the modern rock chart alongside current bands
    8) Scoring another top 40 hit (hard to do in this day of narrow radio)
    9) Having some kid on American idol cover a Fixx song (odd I know but that's a huge audience exposure there--Soulful version of Secret Separation?)
    10) Tina Turner puts out a new album and rerecords 'When Push Comes To Shove' off of 'Mayfly' as a scorchin' duet with Cy Curnin, complete with video too
    11) Scoring a grammy nod, even if it's only for best DVD for 'Stage2'
    12) Having a Time/Newsweek article praising their 9th CD and scolding rock critics for dropping the ball; Headline? "The Fixx: Right From the Start"
    13) Having a rap artist heavily sample one of their songs and seeing it go to #1 with The Fixx credited as co-writers (mixed feelings about this one)
    14) Having one of their songs such as "One Thing" used as the theme song to a top ten show on TV
    15) Aliens land on Earth, snub Bush's attempts at a welcome and then insist on meeting only with The Fixx (okay, this one's just for levity.. or is it?)
    16) Scoring the opening act gig on one the biggest tours of the year
    17) Contributing a great song to a really popular blockbuster movie and having it prominently played in the film
    17) Peers and critics surprise everyone by nominating The Fixx next year to the Hall of Fame. Maybe they'll choose them for their innovation over more obvious pop choices like Culture Club, Human League, Wham etc. The HoF have to nominate *someone* from the new wave era!

WAIT!! #14 is nearly achieved providing that "The Evidence" becomes a hit show and "One Thing" is made the permanent theme and not just used for current ads.

===>Any other ideas not listed that could accelerate the band to the 'breakthrough point' ????? Any ideas about the ones listed??
    Last edited by Mick Warwell; 03-17-2006 at 04:35 PM.

So maybe it's dreammmmmm time, close your eyes and drift away....

Mick.... are you related to Octo? maybe a long lost brother??? LOL!
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Awesome ideas, Mick. Simply amazing.

9) Having some kid on American idol cover a Fixx song (odd I know but that's a huge audience exposure there--Soulful version of Secret Separation?)
    I actually considered trying out for American Idol just to cover a Fixx song, but I highly doubt I can sing that well (plus I don't think I'd be pretty enough).

All I can add for ideas is doing what I do best: Leaving messages on the white board of my classrooms/offices that mention the Fixx. The last one I did went sort of like this:

The Fixx
    *LIVE*
    Santa Cruz, CA
    June 30, 2006
    8pm-9pm

It was up there on my U.S. Government for, like, two weeks, then my teacher accidentally erased it and said, "Ah, I shouldn't have erased that..."

Well, I do what I can...

13) Having a rap artist heavily sample one of their songs and seeing it go to #1 with The Fixx credited as co-writers (mixed feelings about this one)
    Personally, I don't like seeing my favorite songs getting bastardized by commercial hip-hop (I can see what you mean by having mixed feelings...).

15) Aliens land on Earth, snub Bush's attempts at a welcome and then insist on meeting only with The Fixx (okay, this one's just for levity.. or is it?)
    LOL!! I'd love to see that...

I'd prefer a hip-hop sample to a bad cover done on Idol.

2 - Bond - I like it. "Cameras in Paris" would work great, wouldn't it?

8 - hard to get a top 40 hit with zero, ZERO airplay

16 - how about opening for U2?

14 - in addition to the theme music, how about blending in some newer songs into the course of the show? For suggestion:
    Are You Satisfied? - Played while pondering how the crime occured
    Roger and Out - Played while investigating a probable suicide
    No Hollwood Ending - Murder scene
    Two Different Views - Pondering evidence
    Ocean Blue - In conjunction with a sea-side setting

Also, to add another idea to your list (I think this was attempted) - Get VH1 to play the Touch video.....or maybe something from Stage Two - I like "Are You Satisfied"

I noticed that the New Cars got on Leno. How 'bout the Fixx.....maybe Saturday Night Live, too.

And no, I wasn't referring to you, Inkblot, with regards to Idol. I just don't care for covers in general.

Best wishes,
    Mike

Originally posted by Mike Dillard
    And no, I wasn't referring to you, Inkblot, with regards to Idol. I just don't care for covers in general.

Best wishes,
    Mike
    Oh! I wasn't even thinking about that...

...Well, I'm not really the biggest fan of cover versions, I must admit. But American Idol could be good exposure...

The only other thing I can think of at this time that might help is getting a whole group of people to request Fixx songs from certain stations that normally don't play their songs, then hope that the DJs put two and two together and start thinking, "Hey, if the public likes this..."

But wait - mainstream radio is usually controlled by biased record companies. Hmm...unless I find a way to "take over" those stations for a day...

Fixx fans should be calling XM, Sirius, webradio sites, radio stations etc. to request Fixx songs. If every fan requested a fixx song somewhere even just once a day I think it would help spread word of mouth....especially on satellite radio. I feel bad for the current generation. They just haven't been introduced to the band. Maybe the use of "One Thing" on "The Evidence" show or in that videogame that's out will cause the younger generation to check them out. I dunno. Frustrating.

Originally posted by Mike Dillard

I noticed that the New Cars got on Leno. How 'bout the Fixx.....maybe Saturday Night Live, too.
    That would be great!

The Fixx were on Saturday Night live in the 80's onetime. I missed it . It would be great if they could be on again!
    mich112670

I find that the best way to promote them is to just play them anytime anyone is around, like in the car, or when they are in your home. Often times, they will hear Touch, or Roger and Out, and say 'dang! who the hell IS that? they sound great!'....and then I have made some new fans or restored some older ones that just lost track of our boys.

Play the music!
    I am the winner in any event.

It's always amazing to read all the efforts put into "ideas" here.
    PLEASE keep them coming, because undoubtedly, we don't think of E V E R Y T H I N G. We are appreciative. At the same time, please have enough faith that the many hands at work here are aware of the obvious practices of this biz and they work toward them every single day - out of a hundred, one does break through. Things such as "The Evidence" simply find us; Having Tina Turner record Cy's song, well, that may be a bit more difficult to achieve. But hey, anything can and will happen... and do you know why? THAT'S RIGHT! There is a new record on the way. THAT is step one. iTunes, Leno, movies, meetings with aliens - that is step two, WHEN THE TIME COMES.
    For today, look at the Tour Page and see how the year is shaping up. Plenty of adventure ahead.
    As for the rest of it... it WILL break through. And even more will find us still.

Queen,

I do the same thing, when I can, in my shop. Play the music.
    And have had Cygnet's cards (all gone now) on the front counter and in my purse. My cel ring (intro to Deeper and Deeper) has spurred interest, too.
    Those cards were the best thing ever--great Fixx conversation starters and a takeaway reminder.

Kim
    My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
    ~Dalai Lama

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    ~Adam Savage

Originally posted by msmith1
    Queen,

I do the same thing, when I can, in my shop. Play the music.
    And have had Cygnet's cards (all gone now) on the front counter and in my purse. My cel ring (intro to Deeper and Deeper) has spurred interest, too.
    Those cards were the best thing ever--great Fixx conversation starters and a takeaway reminder.

Kim
    Great to hear others doing that too. I have them playing often in my studio too, and when people come in they say, 'oh wow, haven't heard them in ages" or something favorable, always favorable!!!

I try to play their newer stuff a lot too, to show that they are indeed around and evolving.
    I am the winner in any event.

The bumper sticker idea was kicked around on this board a while back. Maybe some should be distributed at the table outside concerts along with the t-shirts and such. Also, would perhaps more people buy fixx hats than t-shirts? Just a thought.

Here's an exciting opportunity.

There is a new show on DirecTV called CDUSA. It happens at 6:00 pm ET on Ch 101. According to cache of the website (site was down at the time I'm writing this) the show features "live performances, interviews, & celebrity dish". According to the article in the OnDirecTV magazine, "Its performance heavy format (about 60 percent in-studio performance footage) sets it apart from other popular music shows..." and "With up to seven musical performances per episode, 'The nearest equivalent to this show is really an awards show, like the Grammys,' says executive producer Conor McAnally."

Well, the Fixx are certainly now fine-tuned with doing live performances, eh?

Cheers,
    Mike