Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Your Help

Unhappy Need Your Help

Hello All,

I know there are a lot of smart people here with diverse backgrounds. I need your help. This is totally unrelated to music or The Fixx.

I got rear ended last week and they are probably going to total my car. The accident is totally not my fault and I am probably going to end up getting screwed.

Here is why. I had a 1998 Chevy Malibu in great condition. Needless to say it not in great condition now. The repair place says it is going to cost $5000 to fix the car. The car is probaly worth $4200. Therefore, the Insurance Company will likely total the car.

This will leave me at best with $4000 and no car. Has anyone been in this position and what can I do?

Fixxation

First off, I'm sorry about your accident and I am guessing by you posting that you didn't get hurt...that is good!

$4000 for an eight year old car is not that bad. You can get a decent used car for that amount. It might not be what you had or what you want, but in the circumtances you are being given, I hate to say you might not be given a choice. I hope at best that the person who hit you had insurance? It's a tough decision to make whether to take the money and get something else or pony up the remaing amount to get it fixed. My car is my baby and I would have to find someway to get it fixed, but that's just me.

Okay, that probably wasn't much help, but good luck!

Sorry about your crash

I used to own a body shop, and you can by the car back off the adjuster and the insurance company, for usually 20% of the check that they will cut to you,, If you want to re-fix the car, rear enders are really very easy to fix (just a shell basically) no engine,, major wiring harnesss,,just as long as there is no roof buckling,,, and the like, if you want to private message me for my e-mail adress and send pictures i will talk more about the car after seeing the pictures

as far as a replacement vehicle try a volvo or a saab I know some people that have survived some pretty outrageous accidents in those cars my ex-girlfriend wrecked a new 1997 saab so hard it took the distributor off the engine and she came out without a scratch,,,,,,,,,you should have seen this saab it was horrible loooking, but thank goodness she came out without a scratch, and yes th car was totaled, and needless to say she did not want a thing to do with that car any longer...

I am glad your not hurt

Sincerly johninpittsburgh (Yes he is a certifiiable car lunatic)
    johninpittsburgh

Sorry to hear about your accident, Engels!
    Hope that you will find a good solution for your problem...

Take care, Heimo

Oh Fixxation! I'm so sorry!
    Had a similar situation, a few years back.
    You may not like what I had to do, but it's what I had to do, nonetheless.
    I had a cool car that had basically an invisible target emblem on it.
    It was hit like 6 different times, always at some Holiday, by some idiot.
    Mother's Day, Easter, Christmas time, New Year's, 4th of July, Labor Day...paranoid these days, don't like to drive on/near the Holidays.
    The last/final time, a shiny black Navigator killed my car. The frame was so torqued from being pulled back and forth from the other accidents, that this really did it...totalled it out late in the day, one Christmas Eve. You can imagine trying to get a rental that time of year, that time of day...UGH!
    So, anyway, took the settlement and got a real beater which I had for about 4 years before had enough saved to down pay on the VW.
    You may be in a similar position... for awhile it's not glam, but it's wheels.

Kim
    My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
    ~Dalai Lama

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    ~Adam Savage

Wow!

Hello All,

First of all, yes, I am fine! A little neck stiffness which has gone. Thank you all, for you kind words and suggestions.

Johnninpittsbrgh, I will get back to you. I have not heard from his Insurance company concerning the vechile. This is all based on my conversation with the Autobody repair place.

AngieKay, Johnninpittsburgh, Heimo and msmith1 you are all wonderful people! Thanks for taking the time to write. It shows me why Fixx fans are a cut above the rest! I am overwhelmed!

I will read through each of your messages again. I just wanted to reply and say THANKS!

Fixxation

If you decide to take a payoff for the totaled car, INSIST they pay you what it would cost to buy a car just like the one you lost. They will try to pay you the low blue book value for the vehicle. JUST SAY "NO!". Find a car just like yours that recently sold and insist they pay you the amount it recently sold for.

Don't back down.
    Be strong.
    You'll get the money.

Thanks Steve

Hello Steve,

Alot of people have told me that. Apparently, they get 10 quotes from Auto Trader and average them. I am fully expecting a fight with his Insurance company. After all, as my brother-in-law said they would go out of business if they paid you more than the car was worth.

Good advice though, I need to stand firm. I am too nice of a guy sometimes and you know what happens, you get screwed.

Thanks Steve,

Fixxation

Steve

Steve, I must say I really like your advice:
    "Don't back down."
    "Be strong."
    And that can surely apply to other matters where things have to be negotiated.

And yes, Fixxation, you are a nice guy.
    And we like you that way.....

Smile Thanks Shoey

Hello All,

Once again I must say I am very touched by all of your emails. Johnninpittsburgh you a great person and thanks for your private email. I don't want to sound ungrateful for your offer but I am not sure I want to deal with fixing the car. But I may still call you when I get more information.

I should have more information for everyone on Friday. I will keep you posted.

Shoeman, Thanks! That means a lot to me. I try to live my life being good to people. I think about all the turmaoil on this earth and I wonder maybe we should just be nicer to each other.

Anyway, when I find other people out thiere like Johnninpittsburgh and the rest of you here in Fixx Cyber Space it gives me hope for this world!

Thanks again everyone!

Fixxation

Re: Sorry about your crash

Originally posted by Johninpittsburg
    as far as a replacement vehicle try a volvo or a saab I know some people that have survived some pretty outrageous accidents in those cars
    Two years ago I got a telephone call from a friend in the middle of the night and he asked me if i could pick him up cause he had a bad car accident and would need a kind of taxi to bring him home.

The reason for the accident was beeing to fast and crashing into an unexpected end of a traffic jam. Something about seven cars must have beem involved and there have been some people with injuries. The car of my friend looked like a pressed packet of scrap metal. I could not believe that he was still alive.

The car was a Volvo S60!

May all our journeys be save!

Take care,
    Heimo

I have heard that Volvo's are safe

Hello Heimo,

Yes, I have heard that Volvo's are safe. It is going to come down to how much the Insurance Company gives me. I know there is no price that can be put on safety but I don't think I will be able to afford a Volvo or Saab. I guess it is worth looking into.

Fixxation

Fixxation...

Listen to Steve, because he is RIGHT... He was AWESOME with all the advice (and time) he gave me in helping me buy my new car... I walked in there armed like a knight ready for battle.. and I got a GREAT deal and would NOT let them screw me with the interest rate because of my sad credit situation...

PS .. THANKS AGAIN , STEVE..... because I LOVE my baby .. and if you would ever get your hind end out here for a show... I may even let you drive it ... but only after you pass the Jeanne Scrutiny Driving Test...

Big hug ... O
    LOL!!
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

I might as well start my next thread

Hello All,

I am thinking of buying a Nissan Altima around 2002. I probably can't afford the $10, 000 price sticker but I was wondering what you thought?

Realistically, I have around $5000 to $6,000 to spend. That is assumeing a generous amount from the Insurance Company.

I have 2 votes for Volvo and 1 for Saab.

Fixxation

Nissan!

Go for a Nissan!

I have 2 Nissan Quest vans. The first is a 1994 with 421,000 original miles on it! Still runs great. I wore out the drivers seat and that's about all I had to change. That's an average of 41,000 miles per year.

The other Quest is a 1995 with 160,000 miles on it....just getting broken in.

I've had lots of cars over the last 31 years, but none compare with Nissan.

Good Luck,

Dr. Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast