Thread: Jamie's Guitar Work

GREG_R, I BELIEVE THAT IF THERE WERE SUCH AN ANIMAL THAT A PERSON WOULD HAVE TO HAVE A MILLION GIG HARD DRIVE TO DOWN LOAD SUCH A MASSIVE REQUEST! ITS HARD ENOUGH TO GIVE HIS PLAYING A DESCENT OR ADEQUATE VERBAL DESCRIPTION LET ALONE TRY TO PUT IT DOWN TO A LEGIBLE TABLATURE FORMAT THAT ANY OF US COULD UNDERSTAND! I AM A FAIR GUITARIST MY SELF AND CAN ONLY MARVEL AT THE QUALITY AND PERFECTION BY WHICH HE DELIVERS HIS UNMISTAKABLE STYLE OF PLAY.THER ARE SOME THINGS IN LIFE WE JUST HAVE TO ADMIRE FROM THE SIDE LINES! I FEEL THAT THIS IS UNDENIABLY ONE OF THOSE MUSICAL BEAUTIES THAT WE NEED TO SAVOR AS SO "ORIGINAL" THAT THERE IS ONLY ROOM TO DREAM OF THE POSSABILLITY TO RIVAL ITS STANDARD OF QUALITY AND STYLE!
    UNDOUBTABLY IT WOULD BE A REMARKABLE FEAT TO ACHIEVE THIS AS A GUITARIST, BUT THE MARRIAGE OF STYLE,AND THE INGENIOUS INTERPRETATION OF THE MUSIC AS A WHOLE PIECE OF WORK, ARE THE VERY INGREDIANTS THAT MAKE "JAMIE WEST ORAM'S" STYLE SO UNIQUE TO ITSOWN THAT TO STYLE OR TRY TO RECREATE ONES STYLE AFTER SUCH PERFECTION WOULD ONLY SPELL DISASTER TO YOUR OWN STYLE OF PLAYING.GRANTED ,TO INCORPORATE THE "LITERAL" GUITAR STYLE OF PLAY INTO YOUR OWN "PERSONAL STYLE" WOULD BE A PLUS IN ANYBODIES BOOK! YOU WOULD PRACTICALLY NEED A LIFE TIME TO UNDERSTAND AND IMPLIMENT HIS STYLE OF PLAY INTO YOUR REPITOURE. THERE ARE NO OTHER GUITARIST'S OUT THERE THAT COMPARE, IF THERE IS ...PLEASE INFORM ME OF SUCH!!!!I MEAN I AM CONSTANTLY IN THE AIR WAVES LISTENING AND HAVE YET TO ENCOUNTER SUCH A GUITARIST TODAY AND I AM PROBABLY THE OLDEST "FIXXTURE" ON THIS FORUM.
    PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE POSTED THIS "REPLY" WITH THE UT-MOST RESPECT FOR YOUR POSTING AND THAT I'M ONLY EXPRESSING MY OPINION ABOUT YOUR SUBJECT "TABS" FOR J.W.O.'S PLAYING.WHAT CAN I SAY ......HE'S AN AWESOME GUITARIST!!!!!!!! "REPLY"????
    SINCERELY, INDY14

Thumbs up

How about UNIQUE, FRESH, & ORIGINAL. His Guitar is magical- I've played it -and got the pix to prove it.

Hey Indy Boy, Do you write for a livin'? Charles Dickens comes to mind....

JW-O's playing definately fits his personality. Like a painter- you can see how the character influences the music/art being presented. He captures the mood better than anyone. Can you feel the asylum patient "losing it " during the FOOL's guitar solo. Very vivid 'eh?
    I like those last songs on the albums...
    James lets loose at the albums conclusion. Then it's all over....

Question Jamie's Guitar Work

Hello fellow fans,

My early years were so influenced by the Fixx that desided I would learn to play the guitar as much like Jamie as posible. I find much of the finer details to be very tricky to pick out by ear and there are virtually no TABs or guitar resources that I can find, devoted to the Fixx. Anyone out there with Fixx guitar information? Think Jamie would be interested in giving a few on-line lessons to some die hard fans?

Greg_R

Smile

I have been working on several Fixx songs on my guitar. The Woodland album has some great guitar work. The solos on the end of Driven Out and Outside are really nice. Jamie'e playing reminds me some of Alex Lifeson from Rush, and the Edge from U2. He is a master with his effects.

portland oregon USA, usually in front of a 'puter
    Speaking of effects, does anyone have a list of all the stuff he uses in his stompbox kit?
    I have always been looking for the combo of effects he uses to get that sound.
    chorused, yes, but not thickly chorused
    octaved?(definitely has octave tones in it, but not exclusively)
    Phased or flanged...? Sometimes it seems a little
    delayed... of course
    I have seen a not too clear picture of the pedal board, but I can't make out some of the pedals he uses.

I know he has a Rat, a MXR stereo chorus, Boss chorus ensemble(???) Sansamp box, Boss EQ, Boss compression sustainer, but i can't see a couple of the boxes in the picture...
    life's too short to drink cheap beer.

OK mello now ya got me goin, the white one at the bottom middle looks like a boss digital delay to me, but the one on the top right has got me a bit curious....

OK guitar freaks, who can be the first to name the mysterious black gadget

My guess.....

It's his stash box, f***in' stoner Jamie!

ps If you want a good start on Jamies sound Ide check out the DG-20 pickup assembly from EMG, same pickups that Jamie uses plus some active EQ controls, a little pricey though about $250-$275. I have one in my strat and I absolutely love it.
    Last edited by Octopulse; 01-25-2002 at 06:13 PM.

I believe the black mystery box in the top right is this....

DOD a/b Box

ahh, never really thought of this til' now, I can't remember where that pic came from, it's not mine, so Jamies pedal board picture is courtesy of an unknown fixxture, so if it's yours... thanks!

Pretty boring post huh?

Octo
    Last edited by Octopulse; 11-14-2002 at 11:05 AM.

re

I had some shots i took of hius R2D2 rack unit he used back in 84-87... Dont think i have one thats that close up.. have to take a look

d

A joke from a punk website... (not from me personally!_)

What's orange and looks good on a hippie.....?

FIRE!

Hey, nice topic!

Jamie's setup looks like this (what did I win? ):

P.S. If anyone's interested, my humble guitar stomp box setup is:

MXR Distortion +
    Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
    Ibanez Compressor II CP-835
    Boss OC-2 Octaver
    Boss GE-7 Equalizer (Jamie)
    Dynamic Stereo Chorus
    Tech21 Tri-OD triple SansAmp (Jamie)
    Electric-Sound Digital Delay S-1024 (19" rack model)
    Electro Harmonix Mouth Tube/Talkbox (Frampton)
    Last edited by guido; 11-09-2002 at 04:11 PM.

r2d2 from 1986 walkabout days

Here it 'tis! J W-O's r2d2 unit from 86. I can't remember whats in it
    except the YamahaSPX90. Rup had one as well, And CY had one at the sound board too..

I know the guitar player article from 86 on JWO listed all the specs... but i have two copies... One i gave to Jamie since he never got to see the finished article and the other's buried somewhere in my memorabilia stuff....

*hope it comes out clear 100dpi@ 4inches....... tba!~
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I remember the YamahaSPX90, Jamie had it on the Calm Animals tour as well, I had one myself around 88-90. Unfortunately with that unit you could only use one effect at a time, i think the MarkII which came afterwards may have let you have 2 at once, it was a good unit for the time though and Jamie used the YamahaSPX90 mainly for the stereo chorus

Cya
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

Style of Jamie

I'm just starting to build me effects and the pics are great of Jamie's set up. There is no doubt that trying complete mastry of Jamie's style is beyond me but I do want to learn as much as I can from his creations. Woodland helped a lot but there is still so much to learn from his style. The whole band has such a rare coroperation of creative styles I hope they never stop composing. I'll post some of my incomplete observations of chords and licks if anyone is interested.

Runlightly

The last time I saw the Fixx was Oct 2000 in Seattle Washington. Jamie was tearing into the Deeper and Depper solo and broke a string. While he was switching guitars he hit a note and then hit his delay with long repeats and feedback. The note went on while he swaped guitars. I was really impressed with that, it really went smooth and did not take away from the mood of the song at all.