Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So, what IS it?

The memory stick CAN indeed come loaded with a live show.

Ira has been brilliant with recording the last few shows on his laptop and having the show converted to appropriate size files immediately after the show.

As fans buy them, Ira loads them with the show.

What's the cost on that?
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

I know

I was at the show in Detroit this past weekend. I was not sure what it was until my friend at the show told me. The thing on a string is supposedly the current show you are at......you plug it into your computer and you can watch the show on the computer anytime you would like. In Detroit they played at the DTE Energy Theater....they have the show on the big screen tvs. I believe the Fixx takes the video from the show and transfers it to the 'thing'. They charge $25 for it.

My self, I would of like to have it.....but did not have any additional money to spend at the show. I was also very unfamiliar with this product and decided to pass. Now if the Fixx makes these available at a later date at the show I would probably do it but would prefer to have the video transfer to a dvd. What happens with a lot of these type of products is that they become obsolite after a few years. If I am going to purchase it I want it forever. I guess lack of product knowledge also contributed to me not buying one.

About the show, The Fixx were awesome. Some bands have it and some do not. The Fixx gets better with age. Also, on the show....Tommy Tutone opened up. He was ok....only given 30 minutes to play. Pushed his newer stuff and played snippets of older stuff. Guess you can not blame him if he is only given 30 minutes....kinda a shame....wondered why he even bothers getting 30 minutes. The Knack in my opinion was the worst of the three....sound was kinda muffled. At least the Fixx and Tommy Tutone had good sound. The Knack seemed like cartoon characters. The Lead Singer thinks he is Paul McCartney....the Drummer who was the only none original was the best of the band and kinda looked like Jack Black. I only knew 5 Knack songs and wondered afterwards how the heck did the Knack become headliners. The Fixx played the setlist everyone is seeing....left out Driven Out, but still a strong set...great show.

After the show the Fixx and 'Tommy Tutone' talked with fans and signed autographs. The Fixx guys are great.....think Ruppert and Jamie are the best but all the guys are great. Funny thing about 'Tommy Tutone'. The lead singer was signing Tommy Tutone as his signature. His name is Tommy Heath...Tommy Tutone is the band name. I heard him in interviews in the past ...it used to bother him that he was called Tommy Tutone. Guess that changed....I told him his name wasn't Tommy Tutone and he said you guys changed his name for him. He also, seemed pissed that I didn't buy one of his shirts when I asked for an autograph. That stuff didn't matter to the Fixx. I didn't purchase anything because I have all their stuff at home....they didn't seem to mind...great guys.
    Last edited by Crucified; 06-05-2006 at 01:09 PM.

I'm about 98% sure that the memory sticks for the Detroit show contained AUDIO ONLY. Ira's laptop that did the recording was not back in the video trailer, rather, it was atop the mixing board.

STILL stuck in the water slide at the Vegas Hard Rock pool...
    Originally posted by Steve Pariseau

As fans buy them, Ira loads them with the show.
    Now, THAT'S cutting edge. Brilliant!
    web site | blog | photos | Twitter (primary)
    ----
    "And the Vino di Vici will flow like a river in spring,
    Now the fix(x), the fix(x) is in." - Elbow

Can they be taken from the stick and burned to a dvd or cd by whoever purchases the stick? See one of the reasons I did not buy one was because I did not know what exactly can be done with these....was no promotion beforehand. So my friend was wrong no video....just audio.

I can't imagine why you would not be able to download the stick onto your computer, and then onto a disk. Isn't that how they work? the regular ones that I use function that way, but then again they could be like CDR's vs. CDRW's too. Either way I will be getting one!

The price is good and the idea very novel. Are there other groups doing the same? This is the first time I have heard of this tech.
    I am the winner in any event.

You can dowload the date from the memory stick to your computer.
    You can put it on a CD-R
    You can load into an iPod or mp3 player
    You really have the freedom to do whatever you want with it. It is not encrypted with any limiting anti-piracy codec or anything like that.

Who knows where this could go, too.
    Perhaps someday the band may decide to hide little surprises on the sticks as well. You just never know since the possiblities are enormous.

Yes, I wish I knew more about it before the show. Being something totally new I was hesitent to buy it. Knowing that I could of burned the concert I was at onto a cd would've been a plus. I don't sit around my computer to listen to music. Guess, there is always a next time.

Fixx Stixx

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    I'm about 98% sure that the memory sticks for the Detroit show contained AUDIO ONLY. Ira's laptop that did the recording was not back in the video trailer, rather, it was atop the mixing board.
    They're 128mb so that would hold a show at about 128mbps - not audiophile quality but not too shabby. Great keepsake either way. I'd rather have a 1gb stick though!

No way could it hold any video..
    With mental wingo I'm nearly flying

I don't care if there is no video on the Stixx, I just wanted to get an audio of the opening number "Chase the Fire"...I thought they were especially fine with this one, as always of course, but it was my first time hearing this great song live, and as an opener was a real treat.
    I am the winner in any event.

AVAILABLE NOW!

We'll update the list of gigs ASAP!
    well... WE'VE BEEN BUSY!! sorry...
    New T-shirts too (but sold out of XLs on the road fast!). SORRY!!!!
    We'll get more XL -and XXL- just as soon as we need to manufacture another run.

http://www.thefixx.com/STORE.shtml

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123