Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phantoms Reissue/'remaster'

Skippy, I completely agree with you about Phantoms. I've always stated that it's their Sgt. Peppers. It's such a perfect album from beginning to end and it's my all time favorite. Does anyone remember when "Phantom Living" was used on Miami Vice? I remember being so psyched that a Fixx song was being used on the show. That show was always one step ahead on the musical pulse.

I had no idea Phantom Living was in Miami Vice. What a great song. I can see how they would use it now that I think about it. Any idea which episode?

It seems that much of the Fixx music sounds so cinematic. I predict a huge hit with a film song.
    Skippy

As a serious audiophile I love reading people complain about cd remasters from recordings originally released on vinyl.....a rule of thumb people, it's best to listen to music on the format it was originally released on. I could care less about cd quality when pristine vinyl copies of certain bands' complete catalogs are sitting on my wall, this is THE ultimate listening experience...Japanese Led Zeppelin, Queen or Clash vinyl eats any cd release for lunch!

also, I own the One Way Phantoms cd, sounds fine to me....who cares if the stereo is flipped or whatever the problem is....

Originally posted by The Whistler
    As a serious audiophile I love reading people complain about cd remasters from recordings originally released on vinyl.....a rule of thumb people, it's best to listen to music on the format it was originally released on. I could care less about cd quality when pristine vinyl copies of certain bands' complete catalogs are sitting on my wall, this is THE ultimate listening experience...Japanese Led Zeppelin, Queen or Clash vinyl eats any cd release for lunch!
    Pardon me if this comes across as mildly offensive, but this is typical vinyl snobbery. In no way, shape or form can vinyl compete with a CD. The technical specifications alone demonstrate that. Furthermore, just because it was released on vinyl misses the entire fact that studio recordings have master tapes. While the master tape was used in conjunction with vinyl's limits, there is no reason why a well produced "remaster" can't sound as good (if not better) than an old LP. Of course, there is the rare occasion with CDs have been mastered from vinyl when the original master tapes are lost but that's a different story. I like being able to select my track, scan, copy to my computer (which can be done with vinyl but it mildly annoying) and be free of clicks, pops, crackle and background hiss. My CDs won't wear out from repeated use (though they may delaminate in 30 years) and I don't have to worry about a miscalibrated needle ripping up the vinyl. In a way, though, I do kind of agree with you that certain instances of vinyl are better than CDs. You know why though? Because the engineer doing the CD remaster didn't know what the hell he was doing.

in any case, the original release format can't hold a candle to hearing the original master tapes, played back in the control room. the final, commercially released product has always been a compromise between the highest fidelity master and the consumer's playback capability.

Originally posted by marathon
    in any case, the original release format can't hold a candle to hearing the original master tapes, played back in the control room. the final, commercially released product has always been a compromise between the highest fidelity master and the consumer's playback capability.
    Agreed. Interestingly enough, a number of modern recordings (on CD) are actually worse than their vinyl counterparts (when they do a dual release - like Depeche Mode's Playing the Angel). Engineers are now deliberately pushing the CD to its limits and causing my CD, not the equipment, to CLIP. Bah. It's ridiculous. Loudness war.

last album i had mastered had just that problem. i sent it to the guy who'd done the various Wilco and related releases. since i was small potatoes to him, he just absolutely smashed the living daylights out of the audio program. audible distortion throughout. but boy, was it "loud." when i dared to complain and call the job unacceptable, he went way overboard the other way. sigh. it turned out sounding fine, hewing closer to my original mixes, but a knowledgable friend with a Finalizer could have done the same job for free.

Unfortunately, in this day and age louder = better. Sort of like the days when bigger equaled better.

I am impressed by the technical knowledge of the replies. The original post seemed to concern the technical aspect of the remaster. I bring the technical aspect back to the general proposition that Phantoms was just a great album. Whether you bring out the dynamics in vinyl, or push the digital limit with CD's, it is that kind of original music that just blows your mind.

The recent update seems to suggest a turning point for the band. I hope whatever decisions are made will keep in mind the masterpiece of Phantoms, and consider the legion of true fans that can't wait for the next Fixx album - the next Masterpiece.
    Skippy

I can't believe this coversation is taking place.

What's so shocking about it?

nothing, cds for me are just a format of convenience, nothing more, I say this while playing Shuttered Room on vinyl, on other forums people will argue which remaster of a cd is better, whatever there's only so much they can do to the masters before it starts sounding crappy...I urge people to go back to the vinyl format, find excellent copies of fave records (a fun challenge) and have the ultimate listening exp. for music from the vinyl period...I'm just a hardcore vinyl guy that sticks to his standards.

That's fine with me if you want to listen to vinyl only. My point was that there's no rational argument that vinyl is superior if the engineer doing the remaster knows what the hell he is doing. Of course, there are all the other factors of source material and so forth.....but we'll just call all things equal for the sake of argument.

Disagree, there is alot lost in the analog to digital transfer, it is not my opinion, but fact based on the technology that vinyl is superior for music originally released on that format The best engineer in the world couldn't make the Queen remasters sound good (and my buddy assisted on the Day at the Races remaster) they sound flat. Let's not argue whether frozen fish is better than fresh fish...some people may prefer frozen fish.

Originally posted by The Whistler
    Disagree, there is alot lost in the analog to digital transfer, it is not my opinion, but fact based on the technology that vinyl is superior for music originally released on that format The best engineer in the world couldn't make the Queen remasters sound good (and my buddy assisted on the Day at the Races remaster) they sound flat. Let's not argue whether frozen fish is better than fresh fish...some people may prefer frozen fish.
    All of the technical specifications for CDs in terms of sonic reproduction vastly exceed that of vinyl. While you are correct in stating that information can be lost in an analogue to digital transfer, you are exaggerating the amount of imformation that is lost in a conversion process. In the early days of CDs, your argument certainly holds more weight than it does today. Technology has come a long way in reducing the amount of information lost dramatically. Many methods of reducing errors exist, the most obvious being over sampling. Regardless, the information you refer to that is lost is usually outside the accepted range of human hearing 20hz-20khz. As one ages, the frequency range at which one hears is greatly reduced. The vinyl advantages also drop off dramatically after each play given that is a format that wears out (even more so depending how the equipment is set up).

The fish example does not fly because your statement that vinyl is inherently superior is not true.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast