Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback for the Band on recent tour stuff

Feedback for the Band on recent tour stuff

I'm hoping we can use this thread to give some quick feedback for the band on recent stuff going on in the tour.

1. "Chase the Fire" is an excellent lead off song, and I highly recommend it stay a regular as your choice of lead off songs.

2. Please have someone step up to the mike and announce prior to the concert that the show is being recorded, and will be sold on a USB stick after the show. I noticed at the concert that people who were leaving after the encore didn't clearly understand the USB recording announcement after the show. I think it's better to announce this while folks are still sober also. Many people who would never normally buy stuff at the retail table may be inspired to stop in as a result (even miserly Ebay shoppers).

3. Keeping the 3 new songs together as a package was a great middle set within the concert. Cy's announcement prior to the sub-set that they were new was also a good info plug.

BM

ps Rupert, I caught you lurking just before I typed this...
    I've been lurking...

Smile Nice Feedback

Hello Beached Male.

I really don't think Cy likes sells things. They need to have someone a non Fixx member promoting the merchandise.

I know Ed is also working on having more stuff after the show to sell. It is my understanding that the merchandise really doesn't make much money for the band.

However, I feel that when fans wear their Fixx garb it helps to keep The Fixx in the Public Eye.

Fixxation

Fixxation- I meant that the announcer (usually someone who works for the club/theater) should do this, not Cy. Common club courtesy, there's normally someone outside the band that announces them to come on stage. If the club doesn't offer up this, then the band's roadie lead should do it. It would be appropriate to announce to the crowd, prior to the band introduction, to inform them that the show is being recorded and sold on USB. Just a marketing tip on my part, based on the slight (buzzed) confusion I noticed on the exiting crowd from a concert I went to.

BM

ps Fixxation- adding an edit rather than a reply- I see your reply below and now understand what you were saying. True, and agree, etc. etc.
    Last edited by Beached Male; 06-29-2006 at 12:28 AM.
    I've been lurking...

Smile Yes I Agree

Hello BM,

I was not referring to your take on things when I mentioned that Cy doesn't like to promote the merchandise. It was just an observation. Which I agree with him if that is his true feeling.

You are 100% correct they need someone to step up and do the selling. I have seen shows where the venue helps promote the band well. But I have also been to shows where they didn't and no one else did either. Chase The Fire would be a great intro song!

From what I rememberr All Is Fair was their intro song for awhile. Lately, it has been Touch. Liner is popular at the Santa Cruz/ San Francisco gigs.

Fixxation
    Last edited by Fixxation; 06-29-2006 at 12:53 PM.

Re: Feedback for the Band on recent tour stuff

Originally posted by Beached Male
    I'm hoping we can use this thread to give some quick feedback for the band on recent stuff going on in the tour.

1. "Chase the Fire" is an excellent lead off song, and I highly recommend it stay a regular as your choice of lead off songs.

2. Please have someone step up to the mike and announce prior to the concert that the show is being recorded, and will be sold on a USB stick after the show.

3. Keeping the 3 new songs together as a package was a great middle set within the concert. Cy's announcement prior to the sub-set that they were new was also a good info plug.

In response to your suggestions by number:

1. YES!!!! excellent choice, keep it for a long time!

2. Good point.

3. The 3 new songs are wonderful, and keeping them together flows very nicely.
    I am the winner in any event.

They Heard ...

Dear BM and Fixxation,

You'll both be glad to know that your suggestions have already been implemented. The band has asked whoever introduces the band to pre-sell these merch items. This announcement has been made during the last 5 or 6 shows and they response was great as a result.

You are both correct with the logical approach to selling merch. I agree that the announcer should highlight the items (quickly) before and during the encore intro. That's what I've been doing when I introduce the band. Sales of FixxStix, shirts, and DVD's are up.

It's great when we are all on the same page in the name of promotional progress! Thanks,

Dr. Roger

Re: They Heard ...

Originally posted by Doctor Roger
    ...I agree that the announcer should highlight the items (quickly) before and during the encore intro. That's what I've been doing when I introduce the band. Sales of FixxStix, shirts, and DVD's are up.
    And here is our good Doctor in action doing just that...

Smile Thanks Doc you Rock!

Hello Doc Roger,

Thanks for stepping up to the plate. Each one of us can make a difference and help The Fixx out!

Thanks again,

Fixxation

Time for some feedback to surface, now that the current tour block is over, with a bit of rest for the band.

Personally, I have a "memory lane" tidbit to throw out first....1986, I throw in the cassette of "Walkabout" for the first time, crank it up, then "Chase the Fire" comes on...I turn to my friend and say- "that's the best song they've done, the beat is complicated, but very catchy". I often second guessed that initial impression, but now that the band has used it successfully as a lead-off song, I find my memories vindicated. Hearing it live was special.

Okay, Dr. Roger is definitely the spokesman of the tour, among other things. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions out there?

BM
    I've been lurking...

I remember the first time I saw The Fixx ('91), they opened with Chase The Fire, and I thought 'what a great opener'. Strange to think that song was only 5 years old at the time.

Too bad they never put together a tour with Rupert Hine/Thinkman - that would've been classic. Imagine the setlist.

is it me or does it look like ROGER is missing a leg in that announcer bit photo? LOL!

MAYBE... a prerecorded message that could announce ahead of the show..

With a sexy British woman's voice!!!!

"Good evening- tonight's show is being recorded, and yes you can buy the show you are about hear directly after this show at the merch table.....and do not forget to pick up a shirt,cd or full length concert- they will make great gifts for fans of all ages!

So without any further adooooooo...... would you PLEASE put your hands together

(name of the city)

for MCA/RCA/BMG/Impact/ etc... recording artists- all the way from London, England.....

Adam, Cy, Gary, Jamie, and Rupert.... (alpha order!) unless does it during the show!

THE F I X X !!!!"

Start taping the USB Fixxie stixx before the announcement so THEIR city is mentioned in the recording- or Cy can personalize the city after Chase the fire.. "Good evening.. DENVER! how are you?"

jsut a thought
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Originally posted by Diamond05
    is it me or does it look like ROGER is missing a leg in that announcer bit photo? LOL!

Start taping the USB Fixxie stixx before the announcement so THEIR city is mentioned in the recording- or Cy can personalize the city after Chase the fire.. "Good evening.. DENVER! how are you?"
    LOL Dave. I hadn't noticed the illusion in that picture.

As for keeping announcements intact, perhaps with new bigger stixx. The first round of stixx were quite limiting. Sometimes the whole show doesn't fit on the stick at a reasonable compression ratio. The Santa Cruz show, for example, is missing a song due to space limitaions.

I agree that Dr. Roger is the spokesperson for the tour........keep it up DOC!
    "Please take part to find your soul...read between the lines. Please take part and play your role....read between the lines"

Thanks, But ....

Thanks for the compliments, but.....

Although I appreciate your comments, I am just the announcer (MC) and Ira's helper for misc. tasks. My dream would be to work each day for The Fixx and Ira when they once again return to superstar status, complete with a full time tour of the U.S. If "spokesman" means introducing and touting merch, then I am your guy. If it's a business discussion, then it's Ed and Ira. I guess I'm considered a "Front Man" or "Advance Man".

My comments are just that.... my opinions on merch, touring, friends, etc. I have no authority to speak on behalf of the band, that's for Ed and Ira to do. I enjoy my new and old friends that share our common thread... love for The Fixx and sincere appreciation for the music they produce. Don't get me wrong... when I'm on stage doing my thing, I am in 7th Heaven as I love to try to get the crowd feeling as giddy and excited as I feel when I'm at a Fixx show. Special thanks to Ira for originally suggesting that I go do it, and for continually allowing me to help out. These are the memories that will stay with me forever.

BTW, special thanks to all the Fixxtures who were in Las Vegas and helped me give props to Pat Travers! he actually contacted me to thank us for the rousing public rendering of the chorus "Boom Boom, Out Go The Lights". He truly is a friend and big fan of the Fixx. He said that a friend of The Fixx is a friend of his.

Looking forward to the next tour starting in New York on Nov. 21st. best of health to all until we meet again.

With Much Love and Appreciation,

Dr. Roger

Doc / All,
    I think most of us know you are in an "unofficial" capacity, but it's great to see volunteers not only helping out, but doing it with great skill. Kudos to you. Hope to meet you one day.

A small negative from the recent tour block, is that "Outside" seems to have been temporarily set aside. I realize it is tough to fit in, with the other slower tempo songs already on the bill, especially 2 of the newer ones that have a similar slower melodic style.

I've been listening to 2 different recorded concerts from the FixxStixx, and I think Cy needs to work on a specific line in "Remember Me When I'm Gone". The second time he sings "While Icarus flies blind", seems like he's struggling with the word "flies", and it doesn't come off as smooth as the first time that same line is sung. Maybe he should sing "While Icarus (pause) flies blind" (with "flies blind" at the same higher note). Could be solved 100 different ways, just thoughts.

BM
    I've been lurking...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast