Thread: My Fixx Checkbook!

My Fixx Checkbook!

Hi Gang:

I have a project that's in the planning stages right now.
    Wanted to let you know about it.

You've seen those "custom made check designs" from time to time.
    Maybe someone wrote you a check that had a sports theme?
    Or flowers, animals, nature scenes, etc?
    You see these images on the background or the watermark of the check.

OK, I want one with an image of The Fixx.

I am told by the company that produces my checks that they will need me to send them an image via e-mail. Then they will include that image on my next re-order and send me my new checks with that design included.

Before I proceed, do I need anyone's approval/permission to copy an image from the Street Team page and send it on to the check company?
    Ed?
    Clive?
    Street Team Staff?
    Just let me know.......

And of course the thinking behind this: whenever someone receives a payment from me, they will know who our favorite band is.

So if we are to go ahead with this.....why not spread the word?

Be glad to hear your input.

John

That's a cool idea, but I have yet to find the courage to pay for new checks. However, I would gladly pay for a new cool red FIXX checkbook cover. It would also make a nice reminder when I pay the bills as to what my priorities are, and what to save the pennies for.
    I am the winner in any event.

Ed would be the one to talk to on that one..

STILL stuck in the water slide at the Vegas Hard Rock pool...
    If you want to use the logo, you need to clear that with the band.

If you want to use a photo, it would need to cleared with the photographer.

If you're making a few to sell to others, you need the photog (if using a photo) and band to approve.

A lot of places make you certify that you are the photographer or prove that you have permission to use the photo or logo before they will create a product with that image. (We do at walmart.com, for all photo products including photo checks.) This protects the company from being held liable if indeed there wasn't permission and the photog/company/band sues - it puts the responsibility back on you.

If you're thinking of using one of the photos, most of the street team/promo photos are mine, and I have not assigned the authority to anyone to approve them for any sort of use. In fact, I didn't even know they were being used as the official street team/promo photos until today - a bit of confusion around communicating that, it seems...

Thanks,
    Bash
    Last edited by Bash; 07-19-2006 at 11:58 PM.
    web site | blog | photos | Twitter (primary)
    ----
    "And the Vino di Vici will flow like a river in spring,
    Now the fix(x), the fix(x) is in." - Elbow

Originally posted by Bash
    ...I have not assigned the authority to anyone to approve them for any sort of use.
    Then how did they end up as official band photography?
    You must have submitted them to Ed. Were you specific with Ed as to how they could or could not be used?

Sounds like you need to communicate your feelings on this with Ed.

STILL stuck in the water slide at the Vegas Hard Rock pool...
    Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
    Then how did they end up as official band photography?
    You must have submitted them to Ed. Were you specific with Ed as to how they could or could not be used?

Sounds like you need to communicate your feelings on this with Ed.
    Submitting a photo doesn't make it official band property. The photog still owns the copyright, and if the photo is used for anything without the photog's consent, it literally opens the band up to liablilities. (Of course, I'm not going to sue them...)

My photos were submitted to be used as posters, and that project never took off. He told me they were gonna be used in the closing credits on the DVD. That was fine, too. But I didn't know they were now being used as promo material (apparently, the band asked him to start using them, but Ed forgot to tell me) so I didn't know to look for them in printed materials, etc., so I could capture them for a portfolio. When I found out yesterday, I did talk with Ed about it, and he now understands the issue and a little more about assigning photo credits, also. But since he doesn't own the rights to the photos, he legally cannot approve them for use on any projects.

I can imagine most people would want to use the logo on their checks - I know I would. But if someone does want to use one of my photos, just PM me.
    Last edited by Bash; 07-20-2006 at 08:52 AM.
    web site | blog | photos | Twitter (primary)
    ----
    "And the Vino di Vici will flow like a river in spring,
    Now the fix(x), the fix(x) is in." - Elbow

Thumbs up

Hi Bash! I just noticed your new picture of Cy up there for promo. It's such a beautiful shot in my opinion! I hope you feel honored, not offended about the whole deal. Let's see...there was a reason I was going to post here...oh yeah! A Fixx checkbook cover! That would be great! ...and in big letters, it should say "HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH? "
    ...It's what you WILL find...you WILL find...

Excellent Slogan for a checkbook Cygnet! I have to get one! Although my account needs to be "saved by zero."

I am a big Styx fan and I got this in my email the other day. It's only a matter of time before more bands do this: (Click on the "fan checks by style -rock stars" and see more)

http://www.styxworld.com/goout.asp?u...uctid=9xsypchk

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Very cool. I especially liked the Hendrix Checkbook Cover. I think we all need FIXX Leather Checkbook Covers with matching checks.
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

Hey Angie!

That is exactly what I had in mind for this project.
    Thanks so much for that link.

Meanwhile:
    My order is almost completed at this point.
    Will come back and report when I receive the finished product.

And Hello Everyone:

Back again to let you know that I received my new checks today!

The check company placed a black-and-white logo in the upper left corner of my check. The band name stands out really well, which is what I wanted.
    And there is a shot of Cy behind the mike to go with it. The image is attractive and well-defined.

I would have preferred a watermark, or even a complete background(such as the example Angiekay showed to us above). But I am definitely pleased with the logo. I can tell you that it is the most noticeable item on the check. It's obviously the first thing that catches your eye.

In pursuing this project, I received the permission of two of our distinguished photographers to use their work. My plan is to change designs from time to time and use images from both of them. And I am truly grateful they granted me this privilege.

So now....whenever I write a check....how easy to start a conversation about the band!!! And you can be sure I'll mention the guys when I make a purchase at the CD store!!! Just a little something to grab more attention....

And oh yeah: This will remind me to make more transactions by check and thus not use the ol' credit card as much.

Unless I can get a Fixx VisaCard.........

Originally posted by Angiekay

I am a big Styx fan and I got this in my email the other day. It's only a matter of time before more bands do this: (Click on the "fan checks by style -rock stars" and see more)

http://www.styxworld.com/goout.asp?u...uctid=9xsypchk
    Those are pretty cool! I have a friend that is a big Coop fan so I just sent him that link.