Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Skies on Howard Stern

Red Skies on Howard Stern

'Red Skies' was featured on the Stump the Booey (a Name That Tune/Artist game) segment of the Howard Stern Show on Thurs. Gary, the staff member, identified the song/artist correctly. The female contestant couldn't identify the artist and, because she lost, had to get naked.

Any exposure is good

pun intended

I'm not sure that any exposure is good. I have a transcript of the bit and the later discussion that occurred on the aftershow. It wasn't very complimentary towards the band. Mind you, this is a talk show that unleashes unrestrained criticism and cynicism on just about everyone and everything so when they took swipes at the band, the band was in good company.
    I was going to post the comments but I thought it would just bring fans down.

thanx Mr Sulu! LOL~
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Re: 321

Originally posted by Diamond05
    thanx Mr Sulu! LOL~
    Is this a comment only a trekkie would understand? Care to explain it?

nothing more than your technical way or expertise-

thats all nothing more nothing less-

Originally posted by Diamond05
    nothing more than your technical way or expertise-

thats all nothing more nothing less-
    Expertise, what expertise? I'll dumb it down for you next time. LOL~

Part I: playing "Stump the Booey" in the studio:

Four 80's songs have previously played. The first song “Cruel Summer” by Bananarama was answered correctly by both contestant Sarah and Gary "BabaBooey" Dell'Abate. Only Gary guessed the second song “Ride Like the Wind” by Christopher Cross. Neither Sarah nor Gary were able to identify "New World Man” by Rush. Both correctly guessed “Party All the Time” by Eddie Murphy. One more song to go...
    Howard: We're still in a game. You got one more shot Sara to tie it up.
    Robin: ...if Baba Booey misses it!
    Howard: That's right.
    Howard: "Party all the time, my love wants to party all the time" You could die waiting for the vocals
    <Eddie Murphy's song vocals begins>
    Howard: ...and then the vocal comes on and you really want to die!
    Robin: <laughs>
    Robin: didn't he play this song at his weedding?
    Howard: yeah. you knew that marriage was doomed. bababooey's in the lead. we're this close to seeing sara with her towel off riding the symbian.
    Sara: you really don't want to.
    Howard: oh we want to! i dont care if you've got baloney ****. i want to see them!
    Robin: <laughs>. now now.
    Sara: did i mention that if i win, i'm giving $500 to Beth for the north shore animal league?
    Gary: yeah, you should have read her story. she really needs the money..it cost her money to get here. she's already in the hole.
    Howard: what do you need the money so bad for baby?
    Sara: everything, um..
    Howard: you're out of luck? huh?
    Robin: what? the rent?
    Sara: i am out of luck
    Howard: that nude modeling not paying?
    Sara: that dried up
    Robin: calls dried up. <laughs>
    Howard: <laughs>
    Sara: actually i'm writing private parts 2. i'm a freelance writer. and uh.. i'll send that to you when it's done.
    Howard: alright. now bababooey, don't let me down. you know i like to see 'em naked.
    Howard: alright, here we go.
    Sara: i have to say i'm at a disadvantage.
    Robin & Howard: why?
    Sara: in this goofy getup and holding the towel, i mean it's hard to --- you know he's all relaxed and definitely it's nervous being here...
    Artie: wahh!
    Howard: wahh, too bad. alright, here we go. here's your fifth and final song. if you get this wrong sara obviously you lose, and even if you get this right and gary gets it right, it's a tie.
    Robin: and in bababooey's defense, he has homefield adavantage. you're playing in his court.
    Howard: that's right.
    Gary: except my baloney **** are in my shirt.
    <Howard begins playing "Red Skies" (React version) from the beginning>
    Howard: listen to your song, c'mon this counts
    Robin: they're both writing
    Howard: you gotta hope for Gary to get it wrong. and you know what sarah? you're not writing and gary is!
    Robin: oh no!
    Howard: gary's got that arrogant toothy beaver look that he has on his face when he knows
    <song continues to play>
    Howard: alright
    Gary: w-w-wait
    Howard: i'm not stopping it. i'm letting both of you think. sarah hasn't really written anything yet
    Robin: all these songs have long and really bad intros.
    Howard: that's because the songs blow, they figure if you give a long intro it'll be good...
    <Howard accidentally lets song get to the point where identifying lyrics begin: "red skies at night...">
    Howard: everybody had enough?
    Robin: oh poor sarah. Well she doesn't have a chance anyway.
    Howard: wait a second, sarah wrote something but its a suicide note!
    <everyone laughs>
    Howard: sarah, is there nothing on your paper?
    Sara: i think its "red skies.. at night", but I dont know the ...
    Gary: how'd u get that? <laughs>.
    Sara: it came to me
    Gary: cuz the guy said "red skies at night"? <laughs>
    Howard: yeah.
    Sara: i don't know the artist
    Howard: ok let's go to gary
    Gary: originally i thought it was "some like it hot" by power station ...that's what it sounded like. but then i realized it was "red skies" by the fixx with two x's.
    Howard: yeah, "red skies at night" by the fixx with two x's. that is correct. you spelled it properly. bababooey you beat her by 2.. not one.. by 2 songs! and sarah, now it's time for you to pay the price of losing. you did not get the $5000 prize from the comedy movie "accepted". and are you ready to disrobe now?
    Sara: i guess if i have to be.
    Howard: alright, let's...
    Robin: this is a bad time not to know all the songs that bababooey knows.

Part II: Later, on "The Wrap-Up Show":

John: the 80's... you know, the 80's songs: there are a finite amount of songs that charted. i mean we played this one teddy and this is the one that gary couldn't get. and i'm gonna talk about how hard it was to find this song. <plays "New World Man" by Rush>
    Gary: i got a question guys....
    John: but now we're back... we're talking about stump the booey and my question to Fred, before you guys came in... Robin's here, Gary's here, Jason, Richard...um..how's he going to lose? i mean like it's so difficult to beat..he's so good, so good...
    Gary: but i could've lost today. no, no, because someone could've known that one. i thought the other four that we played... to me, we're relatively easy... but my weakness is.. generally is...
    John: ...cool bands!
    All: <laugh>
    Robin: yeah. it was the Rush song you didn't know.
    Gary: well, if you think Rush is cool then you go stand out alone and hold that sign up!
    John: that's true
    All: <laugh>
    Robin: oh, what? ...like everyone's lining up for the Fixx?! <laughs>
    All: <big laugh>
    Gary: robin, i'm didn't say they were cool. i'm just saying i knew them.
    Jason: f-i-x-x <laughs> fixx with two x's.
    John: i love when robin comes on the wrapup show, i really do
    Gary: i'm not sitting around telling you eddie murphy party all the time was cool. i'm just saying i recognize them.
    John: here's something really depressing. while stump the booey was going on i go to the interns and i'm like: "when were you guys born?" '87, '85... forget that they don't know them...like, they weren' t alive when they were created!
    Robin: yeah!
    John: but shannon said that party all the time was remade and is now a dance mix
    Robin: is it? somebody remade it?
    John: so eddie murphy may get that singing career after all
    Gary: was there any reason for that? uhh.
    John: i have no idea. but you [gary] always feel supremely confident when walking into that..
    Gary: yeah, you know its funny. i was thinking about this today it think the hotter the girl the more nervous i am
    Robin: yeah
    Gary: because...
    Fred: so today it was no... <laughs>
    Robin: no challenge! he was completely relaxed
    John: gary was yawning during "stump the booey"
    Gary: no, because when the girl's superhot, howard will sometimes look me in the eyes and say "now booey don't lose!"
    Robin: and the pressures on.
    Gary: and then i feel pressure!
    John: ...and speaking of pressure, jason and richard are here as well, can you guys talk about how you get the songs for the contest. because there's been so many. Like how do you find ones that are gonna challenge gary but at the same time not be so obscure, you know, they gotta fit the list.
    Robin: <laughs> i dont think they've met that criteria yet. they're all obscure to me.
    Jason: we've been working mainly off the top 100 billboard lists from each year. you don't wanna put anything from the top 10 or top 20 'cause that's too easy. and then we were thinking that we don't wanna do anything in 100 to 75 'cause that would be too obscure. we were kind of dealing off like a middle ground there...
    Richard: yeah, like the rush song. howard asked if that was a hit. it was like #40 in 1985. we looked it up yesterday.
    John: we actually keep a list of every song we've ever used so we don't repeat songs and it's starting to get big. i'd say there's probably a couple hundred songs on there
    Richard: its getting tougher as it goes along definitely
    Robin: i have to say that you have heard these awful songs <laughs> that's the one thing you can say.
    John: Right and i think you said this to me robin during the break... with the intros.. it could be any song from the 80s
    Fred: right
    John: i mean the fact that sarah got that "party all the time" from that intro, i thought was pretty impressive
    John: yeah gary actually did that today. he started writing a song then crossed it off and wrote a whole different song
    Gary: i think, i mean those.. like billy ocean, paula abdul songs all start the same way and then duran duran and the fixx....
    Fred: ...i think they use the same tracks and just change the melody and the lyrics
    Gary: i think that the 80's had three producers: one for rock, one for dance, and one for...
    Fred: .."ok, now bring in the big drum sound!"
    Gary: exactly!
    John: i thought today was a good mix. you had two relatively easy songs up front, then the rush song which you didn't get. then the fixx song wasn't that easy even though howard played it through the title <laughs> the guy sang the title...and she still couldnt get it
    Richard: we always mark where the title of the song comes in... like at fifteen seconds.. and i think he went past that....

I enjoyed hearing the song on Howard, but didn't expect to hear anything positive about it, especially from Robin (I think her taste in music is horrible). One of the things I find surprising about Howard's show is how long these people have been in the radio business, and how ignorant they are about a lot of music over the years. They certainly seem to have short-term memories about a lot of groups, too. I guess being a radio listener and big music fan, I'm going to retain a lot more information, and have more varied tastes than people who actually work in the business. I don't know, I could be wrong about that, but it sure seems that way. One thing's for certain, I clean house everytime Stump The Booey is on. The songs they play are so easy to name, and Gary answers them like he's some sort of music genius (he at least is the most knowledgeable of everyone on the show).

A friend of mine just told me last night that he was listening to The Edge (local alternative station), and Depeche Mode's "Enjoy The Silence" was playing. When the song finished, the DJ raved about how he loves DM, and that's a favorite song of his, and he urged listeners to go out and buy the great album that it's on, titled..ahem.."Generator" (actual title: Violator). I mean, I'm a part-time DJ myself (minus the plastic personality), and it blows my mind sometimes when I hear some of these people talk on the air. I sometimes think these people just make up **** to sound knowledgeable. I even heard a Sirius DJ talking about how Paul Young of "Everytime You Go Away" fame was dead (it's actually Paul Young of Mike & The Mechanics). A little research goes a long way.

Robin Quivers was very sick at one time.
    And my sympathy and concern for her health were genuine.

But now she comes at us with:

"Oh, what?.....
    Like everyone's lining up for The Fixx?"

Can we send her the photos from Santa Cruz?
    Might give her an eye-opener......

I think the whole recipe to the show is a bunch of friends sit around and unleash jaded criticism on everyone and everything as if they are doing so in the privacy of their home. Of course, they aren't... it's being broadcast to millions. This is part of the appeal of the show because it is very honest and open and the criticism is often targeted at Hollywood or politics where hyprocisy begs for that kind of commentary as 'oversight'. But the problem is that this attitude also gets directed towards other people and things which are undeserving of the negative comments.

tenohtwo is right about their ignorance about music. For people who have worked for so long in that business they are pretty oblivous about it. And he is right when he says stump the booey is a cinch to play for anyone who grew up in the era of that music. They are not the most detail oriented people. Robin's news for example frequently is a full 1 or 2 news cycles behind everything else.

I was surprised about their critical barbs against the Fixx and even more so regarding Rush who I thought was so well-thought of by critics as to kindof be above criticism. All in all they are just misinformed. This is the same bunch who extolled the virtues of The Cult a few weeks ago. The Cult is a good band but not altogether different from The Fixx sometimes (see "Crucified", for example). After hearing he liked that band a few weeks ago, I actually thought Howard might dig some of The Fixx's later stuff if he ever got around to hearing it. But ignorance is bliss I guess. If they keep a closed mind then they'll never know any different.
    Last edited by Mick Warwell; 07-23-2006 at 10:51 PM.

Originally posted by Mick Warwell

I was surprised about their critical barbs against the Fixx and even more so regarding Rush who I thought was so well-thought of by critics as to kindof be above criticism.

Is anyone above criticsm? is that wishful thinking? it's a cruel world out there.
    I am the winner in any event.

Originally posted by The Queen
    Is anyone above criticsm? is that wishful thinking? it's a cruel world out there.
    Well you're right. Noone is above criticism, nor should they be. But the Stern show cast always seem to try to remain hip in the eyes (ears?) of the audience. For this reason, I thought they would have been reluctant to publicly criticize a music group held in high esteem by public and critics. That's what I meant. Because I can't remember the last time I heard anything negative about Rush.

Even if Stern did like that song or a Rush song, he is only gonna admit that he likes "tough cool sounding ****-rock"! He is so worried about being hip and modern that he constantly dissin' what he wouldve liked in the past- He is the biggest critic- the whole show is based on getting off on criticizing everything and everyone. One of my friend's always called that "environmental masturbation!"
    But it is blast to listen to most of the time-

So he picks on everyone equally, so i wouldnt take too much offense or agree with howard's musical tastes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast