Thread: MTV Anniv.: online video yearbks..No Fixx

MTV Anniv.: online video yearbks..No Fixx

With MTV's 25th anniversary underway, it has setup on its site a yearbook feature where it presents 15 to 30 videos for each year from 1981 onwards.

MTV yearbook site

It reads on the site: "Select a date above to play our selection of music videos from any year since MTV went on the air--- from the pioneers of the early 1980's to the groundbreaking clips of recent years"

And yet... No Fixx! Seems wrong not to include at least one of their videos given that The Fixx were definitely one the bands that helped the network get off the air and were also very innovative.

Looking at roughly just the years the band were video-active on MTV, (1981-1991), here is a list of the artists they *did* decide to include and the number of videos included for each:

13 videos: Madonna
    8 videos: U2
    7 videos: Prince

5 each:
    Bruce Springsteen, INXS, REM, Steve Winwood

4 each:
    Aerosmith, Eurythmics, Fleetwood Mac , Genesis, Michael Jackson, Van Halen, Whitney Houston

3 each:
    Billy Joel, Black Crowes, Bon Jovi, Cure, David Lee Roth, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Motley Crue, Phil Collins, Poison, ZZ Top

2 each:
    Belinda Carlisle, Cars, Chris Isaak, Color Me Badd, Cyndi Lauper, David Bowie, Depeche Mode, Huey Lewis, Joan Jett, Lindsey Buckingham, Lita Ford, Rod Stewart, Talking Heads, Wang Chung, Warrant, Whitesnake

1 each:
    .38 Special, AC/DC, a-ha, Air Metal, Alannah Myles, Alice in Chains, Andrew Gold, Aretha Franklin, Asia, B-52's, Blondie, Bobby McFerrin, Bryan Adams, Buggles, C+C Music Factory, Cher, Cinderella, Clash, Crowded House, Damn Yankees, Deee-Lite, Devo, Dire Straits, Donna Summer, Dream Academy, Electronic, Elvis Costello, English Beat, Eric Clapton,Escape Club, Europe, Faith No More, Farm, Foreigner, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Georgia Satellites, Gerardo, Go-Go's, Hammer, Ian Hunter, Jane Child, Jane's Addiction, John Mellencamp, Journey, Julian Lennon, Keith Sweat, Kiss, Lee Ritenour, Living Colour, Lone Justice, Los Lobos, Love and Rockets, Madness, Mariah Carey, Marky Mark, Michael Sembello, Natalie Cole, Naughty By Nature, Neil Young, New Order, Nirvana, Paul Simon, Pete Townshend, Peter Gabriel, PhD, Pointer Sisters, Pretenders, Primal Scream, Queensryche, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Robin Lane & The Chartbusters, Run-DMC, Scorpions, Seal, Simply Red, Sinead O'Connor, Skid Row, Sonic Youth, Sparks, Stevie Nicks, Suzanne Vega, Tayor Dayne, They Might Be Giants, Tone-Loc, Tracy Chapman, Travelin' Wilburys, Twisted Sister

Although they were unfortunately excluded from these 'yearbooks', the Fixx seem to be in good company though. Here are some artists that also had no videos included in the yearbooks:
    Duran Duran, Rick Springfield, Pat Benatar, Culture Club, Police, George Michael, Bangles, Sting, Wham, Billy Idol, Pet Shop Boys, Howard Jones, Men At Work, Human League, ABC, Simple Minds, Fine Young Cannibals

I wonder how they made the decisions which videos to include and I wonder if anyone even alive from that era was responsible for making the selections. Sometimes I get the feeling only very young people staff those VH1 and MTV shows that look backwards at music history.

What a shame. It would have been good exposure to younger audiences if they were included.

The *******s! off with their heads.
    I am the winner in any event.

Yeah, I looked at that last night, and thought I'd overlooked them on '82 or '83. Kind of shocking that "One Thing" isn't there, considering how much airplay it got back then - that should've been a no-brainer. In a way, it's just another example of how out-of-touch that network has become with its own self. Have the reality shows spilled over onto VH1 Classic yet? It's only a matter of time.

Re: MTV Anniv.: online video yearbks..No Fixx

[Although they were unfortunately excluded from these 'yearbooks', the Fixx seem to be in good company though. Here are some artists that also had no videos included in the yearbooks:
    Duran Duran, Rick Springfield, Pat Benatar, Culture Club, Police, George Michael, Bangles, Sting, Wham, Billy Idol, Pet Shop Boys, Howard Jones, Men At Work, Human League, ABC, Simple Minds, Fine Young Cannibals

I wonder how they made the decisions which videos to include and I wonder if anyone even alive from that era was responsible for making the selections. Sometimes I get the feeling only very young people staff those VH1 and MTV shows that look backwards at music history.

What a shame. It would have been good exposure to younger audiences if they were included. [/B][/QUOTE]

All I can say is ... A BIG FAT WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!! To the BIG WIGS at MTV.........

CONSIDERING... along with the FIXX .... all the bands that the excluded where pretty much the " FOUNDING" artist that were played on MTV.....
    I believe that PAT BENETAR was the second video ever played on MTV behind "VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR" ......

I agree...it would have been good exposure to the NEW MTV generation.... because not only would they have seen GREAT bands.... but at a time when MTV ACTUALLY played music video.....

imagine the concept.......HMMMMM...... leads one to ponder......
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

It's kinda sad. When MTV came along in the 80's everyone who listened back then expected that brand new relationship between videos and music would continue. Instead, around 1990, it was downgraded to the point where you have something very different today. Videos are hardly ever played. Cy said it best in the recent Knoxville interview: that in the 80's, the song was still paramount despite the explorations of the video medium, whereas nowadays the image seems more important than the music. It has become a producer's medium now where the talent of the artist is less important than the marketability of their look.
    I feel bad for today's generation. They won't get to experience what it was like to watch a network which was responsible for such open and broad exchange of music between bands and fans.

I read that MTV has deliberately decided to downplay this 25th anniversary to their current audience. They don't plan on mentioning it or doing any on-air retrospectives. The reason? They admitted they don't want today's audiences to know they are 25 years old. They want to stay young and hip in the eyes of their younger viewers. Can you imagine a music network **discouraging** the exploration of past artists and their music? It's all part of the dumbing down of America IMO. This corporation wants to keep their audience as uninformed and naive as possible, the better to make their decisions for them as to what they should listen to.

This is happening in movies, music and politics. A wealthy, powerful uberclass keeping the majority underclass ignorant and easy to manipulate. The gulf will eventually widen making it even easier for the elite to maintain their power, wealth and privilege. The free-thinking middle class then shrinks down to nothing. No, I don't think I'm stretching things here.

Yeah, I think the 80's station on Sirius is celebrating more than MTV. Mark, Alan, Nina and Martha are currently all DJs on that station, and have been advertising MTV retrospectives to broadcast all day today.

Originally posted by Mick Warwell
    I read that MTV has deliberately decided to downplay this 25th anniversary to their current audience. They don't plan on mentioning it or doing any on-air retrospectives. The reason? They admitted they don't want today's audiences to know they are 25 years old. They want to stay young and hip in the eyes of their younger viewers. Can you imagine a music network **discouraging** the exploration of past artists and their music? It's all part of the dumbing down of America IMO. This corporation wants to keep their audience as uninformed and naive as possible, the better to make their decisions for them as to what they should listen to.

This is happening in movies, music and politics. A wealthy, powerful uberclass keeping the majority underclass ignorant and easy to manipulate. The gulf will eventually widen making it even easier for the elite to maintain their power, wealth and privilege. The free-thinking middle class then shrinks down to nothing. No, I don't think I'm stretching things here. [/B]

Well said Mick, I agree with you totally. Unfortunately, I don't see any changes happening in the near future. Very sad for the future.

I've thought for some time that MTV and VH1 needed major re-staffing.
    This is a joke.

No Duran Duran?
    The "Hungry Like The Wolf" video caused a huge stir in music at the time.

No Police?
    Hello? Research Department? Hello? Anybody there?
    Ever heard of an album called "Synchronicity"?

No Fixx?
    Just my humble opinion here....
    I felt that videos like "Saved By Zero" helped put MTV on the map.

Sheesh........how pathetic.

MTV missed the boat
    mich112670

This is a very interesting link to the first hour MTV ever broadcast. What a blast from the past!

Unless you lived in NY or NJ, you missed it. I know I didn't get MTV until a couple of years later.....

Tara Lyn
    You know me, I'm the dark horse that just might win the race.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circum spice"
    Sign of the times...

I work with the public, so I see first-hand how moronic people are becoming...so this really doesn't surprise me.

Sheesh!!

But WE know which end is up --- and THAT's the important thing!!!

TatGirl
    Explain the cosmic forces to me.....