Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Economic T-Shirt idea

Economic T-Shirt idea

I looked at the pictures posted on the first post in this message board, at link http://www.thefixx.com/STREET.shtml , and I had an idea, based on having previously purchased T-Shirts in bulk. Before I discuss further, remember that T-Shirt costs are driven by these factors:

1. Number of T-Shirts purchased (the obvious buy more pay less principle)
    2. Number of colors used and number of sides printed. Each additional color increases the cost, because each color causes an additional run by the screening machine. If you want the back printed it will increase cost also. (my idea only uses one color, on one side)
    3. Type of T-Shirt purchased. You can go cheap here, but I would not recommend cutting costs by choosing a light weight T-Shirt. Fans will be happy with a quality product. The heavier 6.1 ounce T-shirts are the better ones, and the Gildan Ultra T is the best selling screen print T-Shirt in this class. The Hanes Beefy-T would also be in this same range, but usually is more expensive. Also, white T-Shirts are cheaper than any other color.

Design proposal:
    1. Use the logo "The Fixx" shown at the link http://www.thefixx.com/STREET.shtml - the picture in black writing with white background.
    2. Use the following website to help you see my example on screen- go to http://www.customink.com and click on the link "For your group or event". Then, click on the link in the bottom left titled "Design Lab". Save the logo from the Fixx website to your hard drive, then upload it to the CustomInk site. Unlock the size parameters (you will see a "locked" box checked), then increase the logo size to 10" x 6.5" and click the "center" button.
    3. Purchase 500 or more white T-Shirts with the Black logo on the front only. This keeps screening costs at a minimum, with cost per T-Shirt down to around $4 each.
    4. These white T-Shirts could probably sell for $10 to $15, but even at $10 are a $6 profit. This would be an alternative to the higher line items normally sold, while still retaining a decent profit per item.
    5. Possible memorabilia aspect: Since its white, with lots of "free" space, it could also be used by fans to get permanent marker signatures from band members along with Fixxtures that they run into at a particular concert. It is a way to capture a memory in Ink.

Possible alternatives: Red T-Shirt, with "The Fixx" logo in white. At that same customink website you can see what the different colors, both T-Shirt and logo, would look like. Cost per T-Shirt for colors other than white, for 500 purchased goes up to around $5 each ($1 more than plain white).

I didn't list all the pros/cons, but I hope this helps to bring in a lower cost clothing item to the band's merchandise table.

BM
    I've been lurking...

STILL stuck in the water slide at the Vegas Hard Rock pool...
    A couple of things about this:

First, a white shirt with black ink would look pretty "generic", even if on nice shirts in a good silkscreen. Also, not sure how well white would sell - when working the merch table on the CA tour, people went for black whenever we had their size, and chose the red shirts as a runner up. Darker colors tend to go first.

Second, $20 isn't so bad for a shirt, expecially when you compare it to the bigger shows, where t-shirts are heading towards $50 a piece!

It's good to know about this kind of custom service, though - I'm sure when it's time for another run of t-shirts, the guys will try to balance cost and a quality product as usual. This is one more option that could be considered, so thanks for putting it here.
    web site | blog | photos | Twitter (primary)
    ----
    "And the Vino di Vici will flow like a river in spring,
    Now the fix(x), the fix(x) is in." - Elbow

Bash,
    I was just looking for a way to add to the table. I thought these might make a good addition, not compete with the existing shirts. I thought the potential for having them signed was also something beneficial.

Is there already a red with white lettering shirt?

BM
    I've been lurking...

Yeah, there is a red skies shirt. It works well for signing. Folks also bought the black one that has "One Thing..." on the back in white, and had the guys sign the white letters. Most people wanted their DVD signed, or brought CDs from home for a scribble, as oppossed to a t-shirt, though.
    ----

Please, no white teeshirts.
    I am the winner in any event.

Okay, I admit, the white T-Shirt idea seems to have fizzled here, but even if you go with a color option using my suggestion, you can still make a 50% profit selling a $5 cost shirt at retail $10 (and maybe they could sell for more).

Bash- based on your comment, I would offer a contrasting view: I agree that trends have moved items to a premium range at other concerts, but I would hope that the band does not fall into the "trend" of other bands who outprice their fans. After all, shouldn't there be a "minimalist T-Shirt" for those who are "Saved by Zero"?

Not meaning to jumble ideas, but speaking of... I wonder if they ever thought of offering a shirt with "The Fixx" on one side, and a logo that says "Saved By" with a big Zero around it, on the other side?

Just trying to brew some ideas....someone turn off the stove.

BM

ps I bet if the white T-Shirt had the "Reach the Beach" cover art on it, it would sell (just had to throw that out). I'd hate to see the screening cost for all those colors, but that would be one worth paying $20 for. The white T-Shirt would match the white album cover outline.
    I've been lurking...

I think there has been a black shirt with gold THE FIXX on it (looking very much like the current web site design). Currently, there's a shirt with "Saved by" and "The Fixx", all surrounded by a zero. It's gold on a rich brown shirt.

I think the main concern with a very basic shirt is that it wouldn't be the usual visually-compelling product the band has always been associated with. Nothing wrong with offering up ideas, or methods for making the shirts. It gives others a chance to pipe up and say what they're interested in or wouldn't buy, and also to share any sources they may know about for merchandise.

Meanwhile, who knows what the band may do next? Possibly something we never thought of.
    ----

Originally posted by Bash

Meanwhile, who knows what the band may do next? Possibly something we never thought of.
    Ain't that the truth............................
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

How The Heck

HIYA !!

Please tell me.... how the heck does one STOP Pippi's revolving pictures so I can see each one, one at a time? I'm getting dizzy !!

Personally, I would love to see Orange (my fave color) t shirts with a darker lettering and art concept. This would allow for signatures with a black sharpie, and still might be dark enough to attract the masses. I like the beached male (great name BTW) idea of lower cost, higher profit shirts that we can sink our teeth into.

Curious though, when (not IF) the Fixx re-emerges into the mainstream, kinda like Duran Duran did, don't you think the sales price will go up with increased demand? Perhaps this is why the shirts should be the highest quality from the gitgo. I can imagine a signing meet and greet with hundreds of people waiting in line (not unlike Santa Cruz), keeping the poor guys at the table for hours! Opinions? Am I crazy... don't answer that bash!

Pip, again, just what the hell IS that in your hair? And, you better lock up your daughter Sue... please tell her I said hello. Hope to see you in 17 days!!!!! I'm at the same place as you...PM me.....

Love To All,

Dr. Roger

Re: How The Heck

Originally posted by Doctor Roger

Personally, I would love to see Orange..........

Dr. Roger

ORANGE.....the other white tee shirt.
    I am the winner in any event.

Doc / All interested in this thread,
    I just had a follow-on idea, since you mentioned Orange. The logo for "The Fixx" (like the one I mentioned in the first post) could be put on many different colors of T-Shirts. I'm not sure if varying the T-Shirt size changes the cost, but off hand I don't think it does.

You would then get to choose your 'fixx", so to speak. Not sure if it would make sense to always use the same font color (white for dark shirts, black for light shirts)., or vary the font to coordinate it with the T-Shirt color.

I would guess that a T-Shirt seller would still offer the same bulk purchase price for the entire order. Example, if 500 shirts are purchased, could have 50 shirts of different color, but still cost $5 each. That would be 10 different colors of shirts for the one bulk purchase. I know that some colors will sell more than others, but in the long run the "marketing analysis" could kick in for reorders of the more popular colors.

Also, I'm seeing a potential advertising benefit as well. There may be concert goers who, if they hear at the beginning of the show that there are T-Shirts as low as $10 at the table, you might find that the vending sales go up a bit. I admit that I'm miserly, and wouldn't normally visit the table unless I felt I was getting a good deal. The advertising part comes by simply having more T-Shirts out there, being worn.

Quick note on the price: I input many different colors of T-Shirts, and all say that an order of 500 would be $4.98 each, so it is approximately $2500 total. Doesn't seem like a high cost investment, but I'm not on the inside and don't know the ends/ways/means of the band manager's strategy.

Again, just brain storming here.

BM
    Last edited by Beached Male; 08-08-2006 at 07:49 PM.
    I've been lurking...

You guys....

..you make me hussle.
    (That's not a complaint.)

Finally updated our little PayPal friendly Store. And in perfect time I see.

http://www.thefixx.com/STORE.shtml

The USB FIXXSTIXX are up there now, as are the 4 T-Shirts we have.
    NO! We DON'T HAVE XL!! I under-manufactured and we sold out FAST. WHO KNEW?? (everyone but me) We'll make more and fine tune designs along the way, so keep the suggestions coming. We don't carry umbrellas, especially for brain storms!

And This

Regarding the price of the shirt..... I agree that the value is at LEAST 10 bucks.

BUT, when you consider the fact that the band will SIGN that shirt, and occaisionally allow you to take a quick picture makes it worth at least 30 bucks, not to mention the memory associated with that shirt for a long time.

Consider also, that a true fan seeking a signature, and getting that shirt signed, would probably NOT ever wear it. I have one of those from (Please don't laugh) Three Dog Night, and I'd never wear it. Same if I had a Fixx signed shirt. That's just my take on the shirts. So, if it's going to last and become special in time, I say provide a higher quality and ask a few more bucks for it. It's worth it! Just my humble opinion.

Dr. Roger

MAybe embroidered shirts- send them the .eps file and you have something nicer and longer lasting than a generic one color tee...

my friend does all our race team stuff for a good price....

here's a quick shot from my phone...

the fronts of our pullover jackets (meltdown logo that i made)

and the back of the jacket's top neck area is the new trendy cool place to put logos..

*Except Northface- thye have been putting there logo on the back offset to the right side shoulder area...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Yo! Beached Male! I'm sorry I didn't respond to this sooner...you must be really dry by now (still waiting for the tide?)...

White being my favorite color (Cygnet means, as well as a baby swan, "The White One")...I love your idea. White doesn't mean it has to be poor quality, though chances are that at $4 apiece, they probably would be, but I will check into this site. I'm up for weighing all possibilities. A cream-colored jersey, for example might be nice (and it wouldn't be the first time for The Fixx).

Orange...that's Doc's favorite color. I'm sure he'd like that! We all have our own tastes. Thank you for sharing your (great) ideas!

Rhonda
    (How did I get involved in tee-shirts?...Karma... fate...it just happened).

(I'm so nutsy, I'd like to do a whole line of FIXX sportswear! Fixx bedding...Fixx bathroom fixtures (I just thought of that one)...anyway, keep up the good work!)

I think we should shave "The Fixx" into a hillside somewhere. Does anybody have a really BIG lawn that's visible from a freeway?

Go Team! Go Team! Go Team!
    ...It's what you WILL find...you WILL find...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast