Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Meaning Of Saved By Zero

Smile The Meaning Of "Saved By Zero"

Greetings fellow Fixxtures,

I was at work the other day and during break I was explaining about maybe having a picture taken at my wedding with a Fixx cap on. Well a woman that I work with was asking who the band was and what songs they sing. I told her that they sing One Thing Leads To Another, Red Skies, and Saved By Zero. You know…. the tunes that most people would remember. She said that she remembered the tunes and she also said that Saved By Zero was a depressing song because it’s about suicide. I’ve heard that same interpretation from other people before. Now I’m sure a lot of you Fixxtures out there already know that suicide is not what the song is about but just in case anyone isn’t sure then let me give ya a few words taken directly from the Shuttered Room/Reach The Beach songbook that also quotes Cy on the meaning of Saved By Zero……

The Fixx’s impressionistic songs are inspired by events in their lives as well as in the world around them. “Saved By Zero’s” minimalist view came from the experience of touring. “Part of the routine,” said Curnin “is becoming more lightweight, doing away with encumbrances. Zero is the point of relaxation.”

The image that stands out when I think of SBZ these days is of a Calgon bubble bath after a long and stressful day, ahhhhh... remember the good old days of Mr. Bubbles and rubber ducks floating in the bath?

Octo

Last edited by Octopulse; 10-27-2001 at 10:21 AM.

Saved by who? You a man, or god, a trusted unknown thing?

Hi, good point you have, I don't want to make it sound like I know what it's all about, even if you do =). This is not meant to be a correction on your part, or even mine. Saved by zero is not about killing yourself, it's about zero(nothing!). In the long run you are right! In the short run, those who did not kill themselves are not about the meaning of song in that sense, I'm still alive and well, it's the nature of who we are! If I am one man who is weak(sometimes we all are, even me =(........., the song may make me kill myself because the words may make me feel like I'm left with nothing(zero). In my heart, I do care about those who are weak and kill themselves! Not because of the Fixx, but the way the world has shown them! The world makes us feel like we are left with "0". So the fixx in this sense are left with blame. A song can have a million meanings, despite the results, but really only have one meaning, where we misunderstood. I'm not here to say I know it all, or even know what I'm even talking about! For example, saved by God! Is he there? Or is he nothing! Who is zero? The SOF? Me! Some man with pointed ears? I'll point the fingure at myself: I'm looking at all I've typed so far, I can't dig any deeper. Can um me, no, I meant to say you....? The Fixx know! SOF! I thank them above all of everything! When I hear someone say it's hot when I come around, I now the Fixx made me learn that I'm the SOF! Maybe I can't understand who the Fixx are in a sense I don't know how to start my car, damit! The fixx spread the word and it got to me, a pig, a SOF, I don't need CIP!!!!!!!!!!!!~!!!!!!!!!!!! In paris???? All in all, as the Fixx do, it can be wrong to spread the truth because it is a bad thing! If it's really a bad thing, then we are used to living the lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I'm not here to say the Fixx are gods, but they know, as well as you do, nothing is constant, except change... so be careful! If the Fixx are mortal, then why do they care? Hell, if I only live for at least 80 years, what the hell do I care to save the world for my later children? For one thing, your bloodline is IMORTAL in a sense! Your childrens children! Thats what the Fixx are really fighting for, if they are old or young, it doesn't matter. Is what we know, If we could "Loose Face" to save the future way after us, I will loose it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why these guys are real men!!!

Well, saved by zero, if I care, who am I saved by if i care!!!
    The public at large, and children, I hope we don't miss out............................

Romenhal...

SbZero

saved by zero= no one or nothing is gonna save you when you finally close your eyes. Were all gonna be subterranean worm food, unless you get creamated and ruin their feast(s)!!! Life is short-enjoy every second like it's your last.

This is... of course, done w/ a sense of humour!!!!

Diamond, I assume you are suggesting Cy had an atheistic slant here. Maybe Cy meant for the song to be a double-entendre and giving only the one meaning in the songbook interview? Ya know the more I think on this one now the more I suspect that maybe a dual meaning is what he intended. Of course people will take home their own meanings and alot of artists intend just that. Interesting, someone should ask Cy about this sometime if possible. Has anyone else out there seen any other qoutes from the band on SBZ, or maybe asked one of them personally about the song?

Octo

ps.... I havent forgotten about your Michelob offer D, I hope someday maybe we can get around to it. Too bad we couldnt have met up at the NYC show, just a bit green with envy here . Hey, how about putting up a pic of your Phantoms painting you once mentioned, I would be interested in seeing it.
    Last edited by Octopulse; 08-07-2001 at 02:40 PM.

absol-f*in lutely about that michelob (even though i'll swag a labatts!) meeting. I don't know if i have a digital version of that painting. I did one of JWO also in 87.(it's3.5x5ft) I was gonna give it to him, but i'd have to disaasemble it- and someone would have to restretch the canvas. maybe ebay or here... it's alright... nothing great i was still a student- mind you.

I'd like to still stop at Cptn rain's and either color copy or take it and high quality scan the pic of the gang w/ me as the 6th member!! LOL!
    Only 4 weeks til school starts, i'll go use my scanner and get some pix up soon. dAmn, I have a whole scrapbook full- my place is the unofficial fixx museum! Jpegs...here i come!!!!

later octavius!

Octavius.... hey I kinda like the ring of that one. Hey let those jpegs and scrapbook fly, they would make an interesting thread maybe? Ive got a pretty good Nikon digital, maybe the folks at Capt. Trips will let you get a pic of that pic outta the frame if they wont let ya take it for a copy. In 4 weeks I start school as a full-time student again after 17 years away...... just a bit nervous .

Octo

ps that night back at the show in Utica, were you one of these people?

1. The guy who asked if the band was coming out for a meet and greet and I said yes because they were good about that kinda stuff.

2. The guy who asked to look at the pick Jamie handed me after the encore, which my girlfriend was holding on to the moment.

3. The guy who inquired about where I got my original Phantoms CD sleeve with all the pictures in it?

Last edited by Octopulse; 08-08-2001 at 07:45 PM.

ps that night back at the show in Utica, were you one of these people?

1. The guy who asked if the band was coming out for a meet and greet and I said yes because they were good about that kinda stuff.

Nope, i was there at 2 pm and watched the soundcheck and hung w/ them all afternoon, even when the bar musclehead tried to send us out- we stayed inside. And afterward smoked butts w/ rupert/adam, and a guinness w/jwo.

2. The guy who asked to look at the pick Jamie handed me after the encore, which my girlfriend was holding on to the moment.
    Don't think so...

3. The guy who inquired about where I got my original Phantoms CD sleeve with all the pictures in it?
    no- i have all the vinyl and knew that was originally in there!

I had a red Coca cola tshirt on during the day- and a navy blue/white horizontal striped for the evening...
    Spent most of time out back after the show, until they all came in for the group wall photo- w/ me in it!!! lucky me right?

pix of my paintings...

The phantoms one was done while i was in high school 1985, and is made of 9 panels of those store bought student canvases. it is about 5 ftx5ft. I had em 'graph it during 86 tour.. It was an exercise in scale enlargement- got a 98 on it!

The JWO painting was taken in 86, and started in college in the spring of 88 after returning home from London (college) in december on dec21... exactly one year to the day of the explosion over Lockerbie... Guess what airlines I flew home on...?
    Pan Am flight 103.... Spooky huh?
    A rendition of the picture ala the 80% completed painting.
    Of course you always want to go change a ton of things-
    but i left it alone - to reveal the style i was into during that phase of my life!

I was offered $200.00 for this in college, should've taken the $ and ran... but it was my good luck charm in my dorm room (if you know what I mean!)... plenty of women on the train!!!! LOL!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Diamond05; 08-09-2001 at 11:35 AM.

jwo jpeggers!

Oops.... don't think it'll let ya attach 2 things in one post...
    darn PCs (i'm still learning!) MAcs still rule the graphic world!!

this one is 3.5 ftx 5 ft i think!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up

Now thats dedication and artistry!! Well done. If you cant give that pic to Jamie then maybe have him sign it someday. Dont sell it dude, you may live to regret it. Get it signed and keep it, really. My only attempt at Rock n' Roll painting was of Boston's 2nd album. Ya know how on the vinyl record you could open it up and look at the front and back for the long view of the cover. My old man was remodeling the house and i grabbed a ceiling tile and draw that cover on it in colored pencil. It wasnt bad for a beginner but not as good as your paintings though. It hung on my bedroom wall for years. We gotta do those beers soon dude.... were only an hour apart, keep it in mind. Someday we are gonna do a show together as well, its only right. Mark those words D.

Its beer thirty!!!!!!!!,
    Octo

Alright, see if you can find out when tripps is open (so we can go steal that photo and run to a kinkos or something!) and THEN drink some ocean blue.....LABATTS blue....!!!! I'll have to bring my scrapbook w /me i guess!!

d

Alright, see if you can find out when tripps is open (so we can go steal that photo and run to a kinkos or something!) and THEN drink some ocean blue.....LABATTS blue....!!!!

I'll have to bring my scrapbook w /me i guess!!
    So if its open early afternoon i can get out of work and come down to
    "You-tech-a" as th swimming pool q's lead singer said when they opened for the fixx in 84!!!

d

Hey Diamond,

Me and the misses had to go to the County Building in Utechca for papers for our marraige license so I swung by Capt. Tripps place seeing how its only a block away. They are only open 9pm until 2am, so its looking like night time if you wanna check on your pic.

About beer.... I'm on a Corona and lemon slice kick this week, its so hot, I actually dont drink that much, maybe a couple beers a week if that, drank 3 last night and didnt even catch a buzz and that is not like me at all , Must be the heat cause I'm actually quite the lightweight.

Octo

Originally posted by Octopulse
    I'm on a Corona and lemon slice kick this week...
    drank 3 last night and didnt even catch a buzz
    What do you expect? It's Carona! (and that's why it needs the lemon slice) Try Heineken, or if you can afford it, Spaten.

Cheers
    Steve

Californians.... they dont know anything about humidity

To hell with the meaning of Saved By Zero.... LETS TALK ABOUT BEER!! sing along everybody!!............ maybe.... someday.... saved by beer oh (look of pleasure on oh).... I will.... conquer.... this heat around me.... so maybe I'll win.... saved by beer oh.... (somebody call Weird Al).... ok I'll stop now.

Salvation and the way to that point of relaxation here this week is two slices of lemon, hand squeezed over a freezy cup, get as much juice out as you can and drop the rind in, slowly pour that weakling Corona inside, ahhhhhh. The citric acid is the key, ya just gotta drunk a little eckstra.... woah, is that a buzz?, oh its beer so bong since I've had that feeling

Octo
    Last edited by Octopulse; 08-11-2001 at 07:11 AM.
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast