Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Meaning Of Saved By Zero

On the Ultimate Collection CD, Adam says this about the song:
    "Living hand to mouth, but doing what you want to do almost makes you want to sing about it"

Perhaps that will help you a bit?

Yes. It was discussed before. Can't find the original discussion at the moment.

It has something to do with being free of any encumbrances to finding yourself. When they are reduced to nothing, you are saved by zero.

post edited for spelling
    Last edited by dejapete; 02-03-2005 at 07:14 AM.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy

After reading several somewhat different answers from the band to this question, posted on several sites over the past few years, I feel that If you asked someone in the band about this one you may "get the drift".... somewhat

and "the drift" sorta depends on who, and when, you ask.

I did read an article, that I unfortunately cant locate now, from someone who inquired to the band about the meaning, and they got an answer that went something like this....

"when youre lying on the floor, theres nowhere left to fall to"

http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.ph...+Saved+By+Zero
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

cyence fixxion Guest
    One of my finest memory of THE FIXX was in "91" meeting CY after a show and asking him what "SAVED BY ZREO" was all about and he said -- Starting at the bottom and working your way up ,being able to appreciate things more when you have had nothing before. If you got to start some place it might as well be ZERO!!! It was along time age and I was nervous just to be talking to him, but that is what I got out of it

I read once..somewhere .. that it was about ...not setting false expectations for yourself .. to be happy with the magic that suurounds you ...and if you expect nothing.. then that is what you'll get.. then you will have no reason for being disapointed .. just room to be yourself and accept the surprises of life with wonder...

Smile Thanks Everyone

Hello All,

Thank you for your great replies. I will pass this on to my friend. Octo so HAPPY to see you back! I have missed your posts!

Take Care,

Fixxation

Interesting, so how do you all feel about how or if the video relates?

I would definately say yes...
    What I get from the video is "being true to yourself" and not letting sterotypes of what you "should be" direct your course...

The artist is frustrated with what he wants and believe in.. and the expectations set upon him

the scene with the little boy painting and the father going off .. he obviously does not want his kid inside painting when he should be outside tossing a football...like johnny jr. down the street.... looking back the artist is still trying to deal with the expectations that his father put on him and he is still internalizing that he has " disapointed" his father.. because of his choice to follow his heart and not be stuffed in a"conventional corporate career"

The scene where the old man burst in...looking for I am guessing, the rent... the artist knows he can make more money by painting what is "fashionable" but again.. he will not lose face to others expectations just to make a buck.. .. thus the destroying of the canvas with a knife..

The scene where he and his friends are sitting around talking,eating drinking and laughing... the only scene where the artist actually looks happy and at ease... with his friends who understand, accept and believe in him with out question.....

One of the last scene... he is handed a check... he really doesn't look happy to have the money... despite the fact that all of his "external" problems may be solved....for awhile....

Saved by Zero .. meant that nothing on the outside is going to fixx what is wrong on the inside.... Beauty fades...money does not buy happiness... it only eases the pain....how much is or will be enough??

take the blind man walking around the gallery... do you think that the art that he has invisioned in his mind and soul would be any more beautiful if he could see????

This is only my perception of the video...I may be right on ... or completely off... but then again ... isn't that the benefit of all us seeing things with Two Different Views
    Last edited by Jeanne Thelen; 02-08-2005 at 05:21 PM.

cyence fixxion Guest
    To JEANNE..... "nuff said"
    That kicks my ass

One of the last scene... he is handed a check... he really doesn't look happy to have the money... despite the fact that all of his "external" problems may be solved....for awhile.... Saved by Zero .. meant that nothing on the outside is going to fixx what is wrong on the inside.... Beauty fades...money does not buy happiness... it only eases the pain....how much is or will be enough?? take the blind man walking around the gallery... do you think that the art that he has invision in his mind and soul would be any more beautiful if he could see????
    I like this very much Jeanne! I put the DVD in my computer and read your take as it played. Same message the Fixx has been singing all these years.....

That's a really good interpretation of the video Jeanne! Very well said

I've always wondered...

... the shots at the beginning and end of the video - outside of the roof of Club Zero... did they do that in hommage of "Citizen Kane"? There is a shot in that movie when they show the club where Kane's second wife works and it's very similar.

It's been a while since I've seen either the video or the movie but that recollection always stuck with me. Or I could be full of sh*t! Have a nice day...
    "... the nighttime falls around our bed, in peace we sleep entwined, and your love flows through me, though an ocean soothes my head, I burn for you..."

Wink

I don't think anyone who posts here is full of sh*t.

Well, thanks Char... I appreciate it

Actually I don't think I'm full of it anymore - I got off my lazy butt and found the spot in "Citizen Kane" that I was thinking of (since I have the video tape I was happy to see it was very near the beginning!) along with the Saved by Zero video... and that had to be their intention - I forgot that it's raining in both scenes too, and the way they both zoom down into the skylight. I snapped a picture of each scene... I'll try to attach them here (never done that before... good luck).
    "... the nighttime falls around our bed, in peace we sleep entwined, and your love flows through me, though an ocean soothes my head, I burn for you..."

Heck... I knew that wouldn't work if I tried it... and I thought I was good with computers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast