Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want the "old Fixx back"

I want the "old Fixx back"

Most of all the new material that The Fixx r playing is very melancholy and low tempo. Where have the heavy guitar riffs and synthesizers gone? Come back please!!!! I can't take much more of this!!!

Thoughts?

The Hankster aka Izzo
    We'll know for the first time
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line

Re: I want the "old Fixx back"

Originally posted by HENRY IZZO
    Most of all the new material that The Fixx r playing is very melancholy and low tempo. Where have the heavy guitar riffs and synthesizers gone? Come back please!!!! I can't take much more of this!!!

Thoughts?

The Hankster aka Izzo
    I think they write songs now with a mind to how they will sound played live. They have moved away from songs that rely too much from studio production tricks. As for the lyrical content, I think as you get older you become mellower and the band has drifted more towards progressive rock lyrics for that reason.

Having said that.. I kindof agree with you. I miss the slick funky side of the band. I always thought a perfect CD would be an even mix of the old funky new wave stuff and the newer progressive rock concert-conducive stuff.

Who knows?.. maybe the studio versions of "Remember Me" or "Give It Up" will end up sounding more 'old school Fixx' once recorded. I really like "Life Goes On" which is definitely of the newer sound and if they just slapped the live version on the upcoming CD I'd be fine with that as well.

Smile New Direction

Hello All,

Everyone has an opinion on which direction The Fixx should take musically. I know where Izzo is going but I have to say I like it all.

As long as they are writing and playing music that they love I am fine with that.

I find too many bands today get away from their roots to please the record companies and not themselves. I believe The Fixx are playing music they love not what others want.

Fixxation

The Fixx have earned the right 2 do whatever they want however at a live performance "most of us" like 2 get amped up. Therefore when Jamie, Adam, and Rupert crank up their instruments u can feel it in your soul. The slow stuff IMO doesn't make it in a live performance. The slow stuff steals away the musicianship of this band. Jamie with the incredible riffs, Adams's drum rolls and Rupert's Synth. We have all seen The Fixx live and u know everyone gets amped up for: Red Skies, Deeper, Saved, One, Fatal ect. Listen to Fatal Shore live. Unreal! Leave the slow stuff on the CD.

The Hankster aka Izzo

ps: would love to hear RTB, Outside, and Running added 2 the setlist.
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line

Cool

Hank:

If i recall last year when the boys played in Chitown someone kept screaming they sounded like the beatles maybe they took it literally?

IZZY....

Quote: from hank IzzO

"Most of all the new material that The Fixx r playing is very melancholy and low tempo. Where have the heavy guitar riffs and synthesizers gone? Come back please!!!! I can't take much more of this!!!"

then you ask in your next post to hear to RTB and outside..... TWO slow, low tempo tunes...

are you drinking or partying like a rockstar when you wrote this ? LOL!

make up yer friggin mind!!!!!

I dont think they will ever write the same album twice- if you desire that theory check out the ramones or smithereens.... they made the same sound for years..... novel idea- but artistically stale and predictable and safe.... some people like that tho!

personally it would be awkward to see them trying to be angry OLD men.... you do that sh*t when your young and foolish enough to think you re gonna change the world...
    and as you get older you realize youre a microscopic puzzle piece and dont waste much of your tired energy complaining -cause nobodys listening- then you get real old and ***** about everything but no one can hear you unless their hearing aid is up full blast! LOL!

let the new young kids be the pissed off fools for the time being....

oh and i think everyone believes in something sonically rivals any of the ole stuff- cause its sooooooo wide open and cerebral- its sometimes not what you play..... its what you DONT play.....

PS.... just a guess, you re fave fixx cd must be calm animals if you crave that type of sound listed above.????

all the best-

d3
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Re: 321

Originally posted by Diamond05
    IZZY....

Quote: from hank IzzO

"Most of all the new material that The Fixx r playing is very melancholy and low tempo. Where have the heavy guitar riffs and synthesizers gone? Come back please!!!! I can't take much more of this!!!"

then you ask in your next post to hear to RTB and outside..... TWO slow, low tempo tunes...

are you drinking or partying like a rockstar when you wrote this ? LOL!

make up yer friggin mind!!!!!

I dont think they will ever write the same album twice- if you desire that theory check out the ramones or smithereens.... they made the same sound for years..... novel idea- but artistically stale and predictable and safe.... some people like that tho!

personally it would be awkward to see them trying to be angry OLD men.... you do that sh*t when your young and foolish enough to think you re gonna change the world...
    and as you get older you realize youre a microscopic puzzle piece and dont waste much of your tired energy complaining -cause nobodys listening- then you get real old and ***** about everything but no one can hear you unless their hearing aid is up full blast! LOL!

let the new young kids be the pissed off fools for the time being....

oh and i think everyone believes in something sonically rivals any of the ole stuff- cause its sooooooo wide open and cerebral- its sometimes not what you play..... its what you DONT play.....

PS.... just a guess, you re fave fixx cd must be calm animals if you crave that type of sound listed above.????

all the best-

d3

What r u on dope?

Have u ever heard the rendition of Outside performed live? If u have skippy u would know that Jamie does a 3 minute guitar solo! Don't believe me listen to Outside on "Time Stood Still"
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line

Re: 321

Originally posted by Diamond05

HEY! (hands on hips, Calm Animals CD in one) I resemble that remark! Well, I don't know as I have a particular favorite, but that one's in heavy rotation with me. Then again, I'm someone who'll admit to loving Ink

I'll be interested in hearing the new songs...I think it might be an Elemental type situation for me...that one had to grow on me, but once it did, I loved it as much as the others. It just took longer. We'll see!

For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind a heavier sound from the band if only to remind me that I'm not (ahem!) old - pardon me whilst I loosen my tie...

(I wouldn't mind Dan Brown rejoining the band, either. Surprising what a difference he made.)

I'm with Hank, I lean toward the uptempo, hard-hitting stuff.

But I'm also with Fixxation, I like it all.
    There is great quality to be found either way.....
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

I am liking this melancholy stuff, but then again, that's just me.

I just like to hear them doing something new and enjoy hearing what they are thinking about. They are artists, and as artists they will always be mulling new ideas in their minds and wanting to try different things. I can relate to that.
    I am the winner in any event.

Would like to add that the Band is convinced and totally satisfied with the new songwriting. As I mentioned before (after visiting the New York show back in november) I heard members saying: "The new stuff is maybe the best we have ever done".

Last edited by heimo; 05-03-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Originally posted by heimo
    Would like to add that the Band is convinced and totally satisfied with the new songwriting. As I mentioned before (after visiting the New York show back in november) I heard members saying: "The new stuff is maybe the best we have ever done".
    Heimo, all bands say that when a new cd or song comes out. It isn't til a few years later where the artist is able to look at things objectively.

I agree with most posters. I am not a fan of the melancholy stuff. And as for another that hesitate to admit they like Ink. I love Ink...probably my favorite Fixx cd. Was not a big fan of Want That Life.

Originally posted by Crucified
    Heimo, all bands say that when a new cd or song comes out. It isn't til a few years later where the artist is able to look at things objectively.

I agree with most posters. I am not a fan of the melancholy stuff. And as for another that hesitate to admit they like Ink. I love Ink...probably my favorite Fixx cd. Was not a big fan of Want That Life.
    Yes, of course they do so. What I wanted to say by adding this was that they seem to feel comfortable by this way of writing today and don`t want to do a rock 'n' roll sounding record like Calm Animals again. Times have changed.

So I totally agree. Specially with that point that bands are not able to look at things objectively.
    If I listen to Bands like Coldplay, Kean, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party - just to name few - I have a personal feeling that the new songs are a little bit out of time to reach new commercial success.

But anyway - I like it!
    Last edited by heimo; 05-09-2007 at 01:43 AM.

[QUOTE] Originally posted by heimo
    I heard members saying: "The new stuff is maybe the best we have ever done".

And I believe them when they say that.
    They have been so conscious about quality for their entire career.
    And there has been a patient, deliberate effort in getting this new release ready to go. I do think we'll be quite pleased......
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast