Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How have you helped spread the Fixx gospel?

Smile How have you helped spread the Fixx gospel?

As messengers of the Fixx gospel, I'm interested in how others have been spreading the word.
    When I was in college, I often called radio stations to request Fixx songs. One DJ even had a long conversation with me about the band and asked me out- until he found out that I was only 18!
    When I first started teaching Latin in 1991, I had an 80's Fixx poster on the inside of my classroom door (the first thing everyone saw when they came into my room!) which I would change out bubbles of song titles in Latin every week. Sadly, this poster mysteriously disappeared from my door and never returned! Hopefully, it went to a Fixx convert.
    When I went through my retail management phrase, I had more opportunities to spread the word. Early in my career, the store where I worked had a cd system where a company sent us cd's every month to play in the store. We had about 8 cd's in rotation at all times. I would keep all the cd's with Fixx songs and send back cd's without Fixx songs, so I managed to keep "One Thing Leads to Another," "Saved by Zero," and -surprisingly- "Falling in Love" in rotation. My co-workers mocked me continually, but I was the boss!
    Later, cable radio became popular, and I managed to keep the 80's station on, so we heard at least one Fixx song a day (except when we were mandated to play Christmas music-ugh!). One time, we had a radio remote, and I got the DJ to play "One Thing Leads to Another" from the store. Very cool!
    I returned to teaching two years ago, and I have been giving bonus questions on my Latin quizzes where the students had to translate song titles from Latin to English. The quicker students realized after the second or third quiz that all the titles were from Fixx songs. They looked up song titles on the web to "beat the system." Of course, after quiz five, I would throw in different bands every so often to keep the kids on their toes. I also give out Fixx buttons and stickers as prizes.
    I had all my students excited about the canceled Fixx show in Austin in July, too! Bummer there.
    What have you done to spread the Fixx gospel?
    Love and light

Linda,

Good to see you again... hope all is well!!!!

what a great question!!!

I guess the way I have spread the News about the Fixx is simply to talk about them. It is amazing how many people will say" they are still around???" And then direct them to the web site... Hey ! I even got a job out of it!( among other things... ) My boss and her husband are HUGE Fixx fans.

Hi to John.
    Doesn't it seem like yesterday we were in Las Vegas... time flies...
    Take care
    Jeanne
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

pop in a cd!

and listen to it on the first day of school no matter which room I am assigned to. amazing how people's ears prick up!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Mostly the talking-to-co-workers and friends thing (except I hope I haven't done more harm than good with my enthusiasm...they get a steady stream of it, especially as the show gets closer)! I always have to explain what songs they sing/play; most people don't know more than One Thing, but they seem to like it and the other songs I've played them. Only one co-worker seems like she might come to a show with me; she can't come to Buffalo because she's helping with the company clambake, but I'm going to encourage her to come in November. A friend of mine is getting curious, too, so maybe...just maybe
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

...and then I show them signed autographed photos of myself with the guys, to prove they are for real.
    I am the winner in any event.

I was just talking to my friend last night about coming to the July show, and he seemed reluctant to go when it'll be my first. I think he's afraid he'd make me self-conscious about my excitement, especially if I met the boys. I think I might convince him in November.

Anyway, he said to me, "So they actually stay after shows and TALK to people? How many bands do that?" I told him, yes, they do, and in my experience, NO bands do that unless you're somebody special, and probably few among all the bands out there. I told him I've seen plenty of pictures and heard lots of stories to prove it's true...I had a hard time believing it myself when I became a fan.

Hopefully in 8 days I'll be in some of those pictures and stories

I thought about putting a sign/writing on the back window of my car to the effect of "you're following me to the Fixx show" but I don't know as I have the nerve. Anybody ever do this/have something like SAVEDBY0 for their license plate/have a license frame that says Happiness is being a Fixxture, etc.?

Yes there are signs/stickers/shirts by Fixxy Chics

Yep Carrie there are Fixxy Chic Legend Ladies - I believe it is Pippi and or Bash that have Fixx mobiles and other cool things to show the world which band truly rocks! Ladies if you are out there please chime in. I know there was a post with pictures but I could not tell you where, as it may be two years old or so. Hopefully these ladies will pop on the board and give ya' a smile at their works.

Wink How I helped

I tried to help with making of The Public Eye video but Starland Ballroom in New Jersey was not cooperative and I missed catching the then tour manager Mick prior to the show. Caught him afterwards and he said he would have approved. DAMN IT!!!!! Missed a fun opportunity! Also missed a Meet N' Greet as members of The Fixx were very sick and it was terrential rain that evening. From that point on I was "Driven" and posted "A Letter to Both Sides" explaining how the show was which can be viewed on the archives of previous tours. I realized then that there was a Street Team so I offered to help distribute flyers around anywhere that I could. I contacted many University and College radios in the area and ooops may have crossed boundary lines in which The FixxDot.Com help to clarify so now I am more aware and proceed with caution. Despite it all, I do think B.B. Kings - NYC had a pretty good turn out and hope some of it was from those efforts! In addition to all that I constantly throw The Fixx into conversation when I get the chance and get the "I remember them" so I go on about them still recording and touring. More recently, I have been going on other message boards spreading the word through casual E-chats. At our music festivals I talk about The Fixx when opporunties arise and hope that the Coordinator of our Music Fest hooks up with The Fixx for future shows - he will be in attendance on the 9th so I am keeping my fingers crossed that some connection can be made!
    I don't want to sound like I have done a lot cause' I have to give a lot of thanks and praise to many people that were here before me like The Fixx's music speaks for itself, Tour managers especially Ira for his hard work, Ed,
    Our moderators for this board, Cygnet and Robnet for always helping me when I need flyers for the East Coast and helping me understand posting photos on the board, Cousin - O for helping me find this board, Allicat and Kevcat for fun times at the show in NYC, Ducatiman for his knowledge of BB Kings, Heimo for coming a long journey for the Nokia 80's concert and being stuck near me listening to me go on and on about my love of 80's music and The Fixx. Hopefully I have not forgotten anyone. The best thanks saved for last to Doctor Roger from California but a Jersey Boy at heart as he makes the crowd proud and pumped with the intro. to our beloved band! He makes sure all fixxtures have a good time and have a chance to meet one another.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circum spice"
    Well, it's summertime and tank-top weather, so......

when people see the tat, they ask who it is and that gives me the perfect chance to talk up the guys! I also made up little business-type cards with thefixx.com and the forum sites listed to pass out if they seem interested. Lots of younger people ask about the tattoo, and they don't know who the Fixx are, but the "older" ones do.

I also post answers on Yahoo Answers and have specifically mentioned them.

So word is out!!

Ta everyone!
    TatGirl
    Explain the cosmic forces to me.....

This may be considered small by some, but I know it has some impact.

Make sure you're registered for ticketmaster.com and in their "PerformerAlert" section, ensure "The Fixx" are in there. The more people that show they want to be notified of a Fixx concert, the better chance the boys have for the future. I'm sure some bean counting number cruncher does something positive with the data.

My opinion, anyway.
    BM
    I've been lurking...

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circum spice"
    Already there, B! Never thought about it from that perspective, but it's good thinking.

Explain the cosmic forces to me.....

I have found that if someone wants to make plans for an upcoming date in the future, I usually answer with "depends if The Fixx are in town or not"...and believe it or not, that has caused a lot of people to ask about them and research their music again.

It's a silly little thing, but it works for me, coz I tend to work my schedules around my favorite artists whenever I can.

Originally posted by TatGirl
    Well, it's summertime and tank-top weather, so......

when people see the tat, they ask who it is and that gives me the perfect chance to talk up the guys!
    TatGirl
    Can you post a photo? I was looking for one the other day to show a friend from a different music forum, in a 'now that's fan loyalty' conversation, and I thought of you, and couldn't find your tats!

BTW, I won the debate with the telling of your story. So thanks, it was a win for The Fixx.

Hi Linda Z! Great to hear from you...It sounds like you are definitely keeping the fire aglow! I love how you asked the question: "spreading The Fixx gospel"

I want to print out all of their lyrics and carry them with me as my bible. There's just SO MUCH THERE that we should be programming ourselves with in order to counter all that the world "programs" us with. So much truth. So much comfort. So much wisdom!

...It's what you WILL find...you WILL find...

I hear you, Cygnet. I remember reading something where Cy said he didn't want to tell people how to live their lives, because what works for him may not work for someone else, but I think there's a lot of wise general advice in their work and interaction with us that comes across as nurturing in a way. There are few days that go by where I don't benefit from their guidance/support. I just hope that shows to other people; my biggest wish is to be able to do for other people what they do for me (though that's a tall order)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast