Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Musical Talent?

Your Musical Talent?

Some of you Fixxtures, we know what you do musically.
    But do repeat that for us here, if you please?

Then there are others, we're not aware of your special musical talent.
    Do you sing? Write songs? Play an instrument? Anything?

Don't be shy, OK?
    Step right up and tell us how you rock the world!!

My thanks in advance!!

John

I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

STILL stuck in the water slide at the Vegas Hard Rock pool...
    When in school, I sang in every chorus available, including a girls barbershop quartet (and no, we weren't called The Fixx). Loved the close harmonies (I sang the "baritone" part, so I got to do all the awesome 6ths and 7ths). Not too many solos - a little shy - but I did sing the national anthem in front of 8000 people at a basketball game once.

These days, my singing is mainly in the shower...good clean fun.

web site | blog | photos | Twitter (primary)
    ----
    "And the Vino di Vici will flow like a river in spring,
    Now the fix(x), the fix(x) is in." - Elbow

The creative side .......

Love the arts of all kinds -
    Not so much these days but played the flute and oboe in the concert band, marching band, orchestra, and jazz ensemble. I was also drum majorette way back in Junior High School. Yep - a band geek! I was really good on the oboe so much so that the teacher had asked me to take private lessons and try to pursuit getting into larger orchestras. My parents never gave me the chance that I deserved so it never came to fruition. However, when it came to my younger sister they let her move onward with her musical success leaving me with a little animosity. She began on violin but the teacher needed someone on double bass and after approaching her, she picked it up and played it like a pro. She went on to pre-college at Julliard. Went around the world on tour with the Youth Symphony Orchestra ( now you can see why I was mad as that should have and could have been me too!) She decided she wanted to be a music teacher and then later changed her major to performance. At the suggestions of her instructors, my parents spent thousand for the double bass and she gets sent to Peabody Conservatory at John Hodgkins University and continues to wow all those that hear her play. Gets in a high rank of Principal Chair in their orchestra. Dad was allowing her to trial a $10,000 bass and she dropped the frickin' thing down the steps when she suddenly had a nervous breakdown and decided that the life of a musician was not for her. She cracks it and dad is stuck paying a large fee for the repair. She never played ever again! What a waste of talent, time, and money! She also played and excelled on electric bass. I tried to learn guitar so that we could bring our love of music together and maybe jam together for fun but but my fine motor coordination seemed to be uncoordinated and uncooperative!
    Me and the arts : I was involved in the Spirit Squad in high school in which I designed the banners for the football games and had to be the cheering section in the bleechers.
    In my twenty-somethings, tried different forms of dance - Hip Hop, Modern, Ballet, and African Dance. My Hip Hop instructor was a dancer/choreographer for M-TV when they had the Grind and I forget the name of the dance program but the one with Downtown Julie Brown. I tried to track his whereabouts recently and believe he has gone international. If anyone has ever heard of L.T. Dance Incorporated, that would be him. He'll never tell what the L.T. stands for! Let me know if anyone has heard of him?

Did you say creative???

Oh yeah- Downtown Julie Brown's show was Club MTv.

Well, let's see. . .

First joined a middle school chorus when I was 10- I went from being an alto at the audition to a tenor at the first rehearsal! Got into our church youth choir when I turned eleven and also began playing the piano (which I continued until I was fifteen). From twenty-five until last year I was in our adult choir. We're always trying to sing around the house and it's part of my job, only all children's songs are mostly soprano. I can hit about four ranges and can even do a mean Steve Perry (I love singing Open Arms doing karaoke).

How's that? Since this isn't about art and writing, I have to stop here. My family is full of musical talent that I don't have the time (or space) to fill, but rest assured, I got enough nephews, nieces, and cousins for backup singers and a few bands!
    "Even the devil may cry when he looks around Hell and realizes that he is all alone"

Acheron Parthenopaeus

(Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry)

http://www.wordclay.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=37784

Musical talent? The ribbed fish with a short stick...
    BM
    I've been lurking...

Yes I was a musician at one time. Recorded a bunch of songs in the studio back in the 90's. Had studio musicians work with me. My music never made it big on the radio and I never toured either. This is what hats I wore: Lyrics, Music, Keyboards, Singer, Producer, Arranger, and Album Cover/Graphic Arts Designer. You can hear one of my songs here:

http://www.fiascobros.com/music/generation.mp3

This is what my album cover looked like:

http://www.fiascobros.com/albums/a-horizons.jpg

The following forum is rated Fixx and may contain styles of new wave and rock. Fan discretion is advised.

There are New Horizons past the sunset,
    Another day has past and turned to night,
    To explore the unknown that's beyond us,
    The vision of tomorrow which lies ahead.

F1xx F@n

I guess I shouldn't have said anything. Looks like I scared you all off now.
    The following forum is rated Fixx and may contain styles of new wave and rock. Fan discretion is advised.

F1xx F@n

On the contrary; I just ran out of time to listen to the song before, then forgot to look up the thread again. I really like it; it has that New Wave sound, without giving up on guitar rock. Am I wrong in hearing some Saga and maybe Depeche Mode influence? Kudos to the guitar player, at any rate, and having a girl in the mix is another point scorer for me - there are far too few females in rock to suit me. Interesting lyrics too. It's too bad that something like CDBaby that Cy used wasn't around when you all worked on this.

Of course, I love the album cover, being partial to Red Skies, and not just the song.

By the way, your sig is too stinkin' cool...I'm horribly jealous not to have thought of it. I've got a new idea for one in the works, but may keep this one a bit longer...
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

Hey everybody!

I've been playing bass for almost 15 years or so, and drums on and off for about 12. I can manage to play some FIXX songs on bass but some are trickier than others.

Been a big fan of the Fixx since oh maybe 1996 or so when my friend got me a greatest hits CD. Since then I have 2 live CDs (Real Time Stood Still & the King Biscuit one) and just recently saw the reissue of Phantoms for cheap and picked it up straight away.

I always wondered how a song as good as Our we ourselves? could have been the 10th track on any album. After listening to this incredible album, I soon knew why. ALL of these songs are 4 or 5 stars in my opinion, but my standout favorites off the top of my head are:

Less Cities,
    Our We Ourselves?
    Phantom Living (<--what a closer!!)
    I Will
    Wish
    Lost in Battle Overseas
    Sunshine in the Shade

I mean really, I should just write the whole track listing down here now. Lose Face took a couple of listens to I admit, and if not for the incredible drumming on In Suspense that one might be a question mark too for awhile.

Some of my other FIXX favorites from other albums I've heard are Red Skies, I Found You, Lost Planes, Deeper & Deeper, Secret Separation, Calm Animals, Driven Out, Stand or Fall, One Thing..

I really have no idea why these guys aren't way bigger than they are. I guess that just goes to show the flaws of the mainstream audience's ear, at least to me.

Oh, and Cy is an awesome singer and Dan K Brown rules!!

I think that's it haha.

Well... A few years ago, I bought a mandolin, with the intention of teaching myself...

Started off well, but I had a ganglion cyst developing in one of my wrists, so I stopped...

I had the cyst surgically removed, but I was still in pain; turns out my line of work at the time (computer tech support for 4 years or so) gave me carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists... Arrrgh!

Due to poor ergonomics in the workplace (which my former managers ignored, even at my requests for an assessment) I also developed 'medial epicondilitis' (either golfer's elbow, or tennis elbow -- I can never remember which one it is...) in both elbows!

Since then, I've had an assessment, got a fantastic mouse (check it out at perific.com) and a great chair, and most of my problems seem to be fading. I hope to get back to the mando within a few months...

For now, though, I play a wicked CD player!
    "Out there, there must be aliens
    Who donít believe in aliens
    Somewhere. Believe"
    -Cy Curnin, "We Might Find It" (The Returning Sun)

Originally posted by Carrie
    On the contrary; I just ran out of time to listen to the song before, then forgot to look up the thread again. I really like it; it has that New Wave sound, without giving up on guitar rock. Am I wrong in hearing some Saga and maybe Depeche Mode influence? Kudos to the guitar player, at any rate, and having a girl in the mix is another point scorer for me - there are far too few females in rock to suit me. Interesting lyrics too. It's too bad that something like CDBaby that Cy used wasn't around when you all worked on this.

Of course, I love the album cover, being partial to Red Skies, and not just the song.

By the way, your sig is too stinkin' cool...I'm horribly jealous not to have thought of it. I've got a new idea for one in the works, but may keep this one a bit longer...
    Thanks so much for the response. Well I was influenced by many bands actually. Depeche Mode, Enigma, Kenny G, Billy Idol, Modern Talking and Joe Satriani. There's a little bit of everyone in them. The guitar player was my engineer. He's also the studio manager that runs the studio. That song was recorded at Fiasco Brothers Studios. If you go to: http://www.fiascobros.com, you'll see who he is and what he looks like. His picture is posted on there. I had a female in the song only because the song pertains to both genders. Yeah I wrote the lyrics one summer day back in 1996 thinking about my grad class therefore Generation X. The song was titled Generation. Well actually internet was still fairly new in 1996 at the time I was recording. Well it was supposed to represent that there are New Horizons past the sunset. Another day has past and turned to night to explore the unknown beyond us of tomorrow ahead. I thought people might get a kick out of my signature. I have more songs recorded as well if you want to hear them but they're not on the internet. I can send them by email if you like. Let me know.
    Last edited by F1xx F@n4; 12-13-2007 at 10:42 AM.

F1xx F@n

F1xx F@n4, I'd love to hear more, but give me another month or so - I should have a new computer by then with a much faster connection. The trick will be remembering to ask you!

Del_Duio, welcome! Phantoms is one of my faves too.

Fixxed, hope the recovery goes well!

And you all are so talented...no musical talent here! But I do write well and make nice birthday cards
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

When I've sung, I'm a 2nd soprano...but that's been some time ago.
    I can paint, draw, write, and bellydance. Trying my hand at music again.
    Due to JWO's inspiration, I decided to learn guitar. Acoustic and electric. I'd wanted to learn when I was little, but my Dad always said "No, not unless you practice every day until your fingers bleed and bleed!" Well, I'm not gushing blood from my fingertips...but I am learning...slooooowly, but surely!
    Kim
    My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
    ~Dalai Lama

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    ~Adam Savage

Carrie, thanks for that!

Because of this thread, I picked up my mando last night for the first time in a long while... Practiced scales and arpeggios for about 45 minutes... Seemed to be pain-free!!

Of course, it hit me about an hour later, with sharp pains coursing through my right wrist... But it felt like it was worth it!
    "Out there, there must be aliens
    Who donít believe in aliens
    Somewhere. Believe"
    -Cy Curnin, "We Might Find It" (The Returning Sun)

What a fun thread! It's very interesting to learn the musical backgrounds of fellow Fixxtures.

At this point, I would say my chief musical talent is listening.

I took guitar lessons from the second to the eighth grades and sang and played in church for a few years. I'll also cop to chorus roles in a few musicals.

Lost touch with the guitar over the years. Keep saying I'd like to pick it up again. Maybe get an electric. One day...
    Lisa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast