Thread: Displaying Pictures Within A Post

Post Displaying Pictures Within A Post

A few times over the past year or so forum members have inquired about displaying pictures within their posts....

You can have a picture show up automatically within your post as long as the pic is on a web server and you have the URL address for it such as....

http://www.whatever.com/photos/mypic.jpg

keep in mind that some free web providers such as Geocities will not allow a pic to be called out from their servers, (they only want your pics to be seen at their site so their annoying flashing ads and stuff get more exposure) but if you are paying for your internet access though you most likely have some storage for files allowed to you by your provider (mine gives me 20megs of storage along with the web access which is not bad for $9.95 a month, being poor i can live with 56k for now I suppose) and you shouldnt have a problem getting your pics to show up once you upload them. There are free-ware FTP managers for windows that will allow you to upload files to your FTP site available here....
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...0.html?tag=dir

I use WS_FTP LE, its free, its easy, it works for me, you can get it here....
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/1...ities&ca=10001

When i want to show a pic i upload it to my FTP site first, i then go to the file and copy its URL address into my clipboard, then i click on the IMG button that you see right above the "message to post" window, paste the URL address for the pic into the prompt window that appears and then hit OK, that should put the pictures URL address along with the proper code needed to display it into your post automatically. Or.... you can just type or paste the pics URL address into the post directly without using the IMG button but you would then need to add the [img*] (minus the *) at the begining and [/img*] (again minus the *) at the end of the address yourself for it to show up. If I didnt include those asterics (*) within those brackets above the software would think i was trying to display a picture just then, but i'm not, so disregard the *'s below as well.

for example if you typed the following into your post....

[img*]http://www.whitehouse.gov/images/header/home-2.jpg[/img*]

this pic from the white house web site would be displayed in your post....

Last night I took a picture of the sunset with my digital camera, i then transferred the image to a folder on my hard drive, i used my FTP manager to upload the picture from that folder to my FTP site, i then paste or type in the URL address for the pic into my post making sure that the bracketed code encloses the address (remember if you used the IMG button to insert the URL the bracketed code is added automatically for you), so if i end up with this within my post....

[img*]http://207.127.210.8/westburn/sunset.jpg[/img*]

this is what i get...

those brackets [ ] which contain IMG and /IMG are code which is basically saying to the forum software "there is a picture file stored at the enclosed URL web address, please display that picture within this post at the indicated position"

You can also attach a picture file to your post without uploading to an FTP site first but it will not be displayed automatically inside your post though, underneath the "post message" window you will see "Attach File:" right under "Options", click on "Browse" and navigate to where your picture file is stored, select the file and then click on "Open", when you submit your post the picture will be automatically uploaded along with that post to the bulletin boards server and a link to your pic will then be shown within your post that people can click on to see the pic, its not quite as cool i think as having the picture show up automatically but it is a way to share your pics just the same.

OctoMegaKudos to you if you actually read this far

Last edited by Octopulse; 09-01-2002 at 08:25 AM.

testing 1-2-3....

heres an email pic someone sent me- hope it's not too offensive....

make sure to proerly S P A C E those letters out!!! LOL!

hope it works...

d=
    Attached Images Attached Images  

HAHAHAHAHA, thats funny, i'll bet a lot of heads turn on that corner when drivin' by, thanks for the early morning chuckle

Thanks for sharing your creativity... stay well. Kat
    "You NO Me" - Kat

bumped up

while im bumping i might as well give a pic too

meet my baby girl, shes named Pearl....

hard to believe that shes almost 3 years old already, Ive been neglecting her lately and school starts tomorrow, so were gonna be hanging out today and having some fun
    Last edited by Octopulse; 09-02-2002 at 08:44 AM.
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

Geocities will not allow a pic to be called out from their servers

It seems to be working at the moment; I think the image needs to be a gif file typeŚlet me know if this shows up...

12/15/2002: I deleted the website, so the image is no longer...

Last edited by Free Radical; 12-16-2002 at 01:01 AM.

Geocities will not allow a pic to be called out from their servers
    that was the case at least a couple years back when i first started putting shots up here, it may be different now though for Geocities im not sure

jpg's are ok, my guess is its the server you have the pic file on thats holdin ya back from displaying automatically

the GU image is pretty cool though, first time ive seen that one, thanks for sharing that!

ps if the pic loads fine one minute and not the next it might be that youre only seeing the image thats in your browsers cache when it does work, not the pic thats on Geocities
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

B side the C side in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, UK

Bad Font

http://www.ikres.com/companyWeb/leeh...sh/outlets.htm

This one could be something else with a little imagination!!!
    Stuart at the Welsh Connection

Stuart, you sick pup, Im starting to like you man!!

Hey, didnt Warren Zevon sing a line about that restaurant in "Werewolves Of London?
    Last edited by Octopulse; 09-13-2002 at 05:38 AM.

-- Heimo on red wine