Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Commercial Using Fixx Lyrics

Toyota Commercial Using Fixx Lyrics

I just saw a Toyota commercial using the words "Saved By Zero" in a song.
    But not with Fixx music. The music and the way they sing the lyrics are different. Tempo and feel of the music is kind of "rip off feel"
    Not to sure what to make of this. It's familliar lyrics with different
    music. Kind of creeps me out. Anyone seen it?

I haven't seen it, but I bet it's the same music Toyota used in 2001. Back then, Cy started a thread to defend use of the song in that commercial.
    Facts of Life

Just saw it

during SNL
    nice surprise.
    it's a cover tune. They are getting away without using the original Universal Music Group owned recording.
    either way, it means the Fixx get writing royalties.
    Every bit is cool...

Still I'm amazed that Coke never went for the song for their Zero campaign... (shrug)

ME TOO!

My first experience with the drink was when we were flying out to Vegas last year for the Green Valley shows and I asked for a diet soda on the plane...I saw the name and went nuts, telling Dan across the aisle "Look at this, look at this"! He gave me a look like, OMG you're going nuts over a soda can already, what are you gonna be like when we get out there? It was his first and second Fixx shows; he found out!!!
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

Me Too

I also saw the Toyota commercial... it's a remake of Zero, with a similar guitar chord and a voice that sounds like a Cy wanna be on crack.

Personally, I think it's a total rip off, and that if Toyota wanted to use this song, they should have used the REAL Fixx version and paid whatever market rates are. The possible good thing is if people like that catchy tune and go look up the real version, it should lead to more exposure for the Fixx. After all, there ARE many MILLIONS watching the game right now.

Dr. Roger

Saturation

Not only did we just see the commercial AGAIN, but during the length of this foorball game (JAX vs. PITT Sunday night), we must have saw this same thing at least 6 times in the past 3 hours.

I mean no harm or diss when I say that they should have gone with the original Fixx version, just my opinion that changing it to elevator/dentist office type of music kinda rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I guess it's true that some kind of exposure , even in this manipulated format, is much better than another band's music. I will admit I was kinda shocked to hear it the first time tonight, and I was quite happy that it at least was a FIXX song, that in itself is a big compliment and tip o' the hat to our guys.

I agree with Fixxmaster Ed, his Coke Zero presentation was classic and well produced. They (Coke) totally should have went with that promotion, and sponsored a tour..... maybe, someday.....

No Haters............

Dr. Roger

i saw the same commercial sunday night it was on fox during the game like you said over and over and i agree they should have went with the fixx on this 10x better in my opinion!!! dee
    rocker

Angry

I saw it last night during Family Guy and American Dad on Fox, and they must have played it at least 8 times. Each time I heard it it got me angrier. I know that on the one hand it's exposure, and I would hope that the guys are getting some royalties for it, but why in the hell have some lame *** watered down version of the song? This TOTALLY should have had the original tune along with it!!!
    It takes more than a full tank of gas to drive away from the past...

After reading your posts I found this on youtube.
    Is that the Commercial you are all talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JcOb9yVZnU

yes, that's it... I just saw it this morning - I was more than a little shocked/disappointed... but royalties are a good thing, too
    "... the nighttime falls around our bed, in peace we sleep entwined, and your love flows through me, though an ocean soothes my head, I burn for you..."

I just had a friend (who has SBZ as her ringtone like I do) say she wants to change it to another song because it keeps making her think of the commercial. I didn't even think about that - that people are gonna wonder why I have a car commercial as my ringtone now! Aack!

I'm glad I don't watch much TV - I haven't seen the commercial.

[Just went and clicked on the link above...don't throw too many rotten tomatoes at me, because although it ain't the Fixx, I thought it could have been a lot worse.]
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

holy xerox machine batman!

I ve heard that imposter SBZero commercial at least 10 times in the last 3 hours.

Cant they find more than one commercial to brainwash you with ? Or are people that friggin stupid that they dont realize they ve seen the same dang thing 27 times!

I hope they re getting royalties off this...

they should have used the fixx's live version near the tail end of the song were it gets loud and powerful if they wanted that macho c*ck rock tough sound ... LOL!

time to pay the bills...... cha ching!
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

*GAK* TWICE

Watching Monday Night Football and they just played it TWICE with one commercial between.

I don't wanna hear it anymore!!

Sounds like Cy on 'luuds man!
    With mental wingo I'm nearly flying

Ack!!

That was awful!!

I also heard it during halftime of the Vikings-Saints football game.

At least the Vikings won......
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Unbelievable! On one hand the Band has problems with the evil record-company to get their song-rights back. (see ed's last post about myspace). And on the other hand we can listen to a kind of cover version easily.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast