Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cy's "Saved by Zero" Solo Tour

Cy's "Saved by Zero" Solo Tour

Hi everybody. Found this in the net and do not know what's old and what is new...

CY CURNIN, SINGER/SONGWRITER OF THE FIXX ANNOUNCES “SAVED BY ZERO” SOLO TOUR FOR 2009
    Curnin heads to the U.S. for a month of dates to reclaim the meaning of the song that has America talking

Los Angeles, CA – In March 2009, Cy Curnin, lead singer of The Fixx, will embark on his first solo US tour. Curnin’s set list will preview songs from his upcoming self-release, Solar Minimum, along with Fixx favorites, including, “Saved By Zero,” an MTV classic that has garnered press recently. The outspoken frontman is adopting a minimalist vibe for the tour, hoping to provide an uplifting show during challenging times.

In recent months, The Fixx’s 1983 hit reentered the national consciousness when Toyota used a cover version of the song in a high-saturation ad campaign for 0% financing that incited Facebook protest pages. “The airings were relentless and the version they used was cheesy,” says Curnin. More importantly, the spiritual message of the original was eclipsed in the materialistic glare of low interest rates. “I just hope the irony wasn’t lost on fans who understand the song is about simplifying one’s life.”

Cy has chosen to tour on a moderate scale and will primarily be booking dates in intimate venues. The tour will also include a number of private “home shows,” with a portion of their proceeds going to support a cancer charity, the Love Hope Strength Foundation (LHSF). Taking a stripped-down approach, he will be supported by minimal accompaniment, and may be joined by special guest musicians on occasion.

Cy’s involvement with LHSF, began in 2007. The group raises money and awareness through high-profile treks to pinnacles throughout the world. Trekkers include experienced climbers, cancer survivors, and noted musicians. In addition to the satisfaction of “giving back,” Curnin says, “It’s an inspiration to be with these extraordinary people who have great spirits and tremendous drive to meet their goals.” Curnin has also experienced the thrill of performing at high altitudes, which have included the base camp of Mount Everest and most recently, Machu Picchu. In the fall of 2009, Cy intends to join LHSF once again on Kilimanjaro.

Curnin’s third solo effort, Solar Minimum, is a collection of eclectic, personal songs that reflect his current perspective on the world. It is slated for an early spring release. Like his 2007 CD The Returning Sun, this record will be self-released and available on his website, www.cycurnin.com, www.cdbaby.com and major download sites like iTunes and Amazon. Cy is looking forward to going back on tour with The Fixx in June. The band is also recording tracks for a new album.

Away from the road, Curnin has cultivated a fascinating life with his family in rural France. Mixing old world techniques with modern green practices, Cy and his wife operate an inn on a self-sustaining farm that includes livestock and an organic garden. He is currently overseeing the renovation of a barn into a special event space that he hopes to use for Internet broadcasts. Cy has also created a studio on the property to facilitate his songwriting and recording. Curnin stays busy writing screenplays and developing television projects. In his spare time, Cy stays connected with fans through social networks such as MySpace and Facebook.
    Last edited by heimo; 01-13-2009 at 01:04 PM.

AWESOME! I can't wait to hear dates and locations, so I can lock in vacation and start making travel plans, if needed...but I hope some will be anywhere close to here! And Fixx in June? Ditto!

Cy develops screenplays and television projects? That is definitely news. Which shows - any that air in the States? I wanna watch!

Looks like there's going to be a lot to look forward to in '09! Happy dance!
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

wow thanks for posting this very exciting !!! hope cy comes close enough to buffalo so i can go see him again!!!! something to look forward to for sure!! dee
    music junkie!!

Whoohoo, this is such great news to hear! Thank you Heimo for posting this information, I can't wait!!

Alicia

Very exciting. Thanks for the link!

I think I am the happiest girl in the whole USA!!!!!!

What good news for what has been a rather blue day for me...

I was just saying to a friend that I needed something to look forward to to beat these winter blah's.... and if it includes a nice sunny location and Cy Curnin ... need I say " Are you Satisfied?"

Answer.....YES!!!

AND then on top of it... THE FIXX in June....

YA HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEJA... get the road trip mojo going... AND darn it Dave... I better see you too!!!

... me... very happy...

Hope to see some of my favorite Fixxtures soon...
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Great news!!! I'm looking forward to seeing the tour dates and locations.

Originally posted by Jeanne Thelen
    I think I am the happiest girl in the whole USA!!!!!!
    Tied with me, of course Unless I can't get vacation, then I'll be the saddest. But everything is lookin' good...fingers crossed!

I'm getting very curious about the number of shows and locations! I hope he makes a stop in Chicago at least. It seems like there's a decent sized midwestern fan base, especially in the Chicago area. Does anyone know anything about the home shows?? Sounds like fun. Very jealous here.

Hi Gang. I have been sitting on the sidelines of this thread for a while now and figured I might as well fill you in, as much as I can.

First, to be honest, you weren't actually supposed to see the "press release." It was not released to the press, but rather, was crafted as a tool specifically for marketing Cy to club bookers. I promise that when there is a press release for you fabulous folks, I will share it with you myself, hot off my word processor.

As for the tour, we aren't holding out on you, but we are deep in the process of trying to put together a schedule. I will be candid -- it's very hard to book acts right now because of the economy. That being said, Cy is very, very excited about the prospect of coming out and we over here at cycurnin.com have fingers and toes crossed that it will be sorted very soon. It's important to me, as well, that the information I share with you is correct, so please be patient while we cross the t's and dot the i's.

As I mentioned above, scheduling has been and continues to be challenging. I know that many of you are involved in seeing music in your communities, so, I am throwing this out there...if you know a club or performance venue in your neck of the woods that would be a great place for Cy to play (and by know I mean you "know" the booker or manager or owner) for this tour, I request that you send me a private email at management@cycurnin.com to tell me about it ASAP. I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from some folks.

Hopefully in the next week or so we will have dates nailed down for you.

Cy's new record is really coming together. I am hopeful I will have definitive news on it for you sometime next month. I've heard some roughs of the the tracks and I think you guys are gonna love it.
    Lisa

Hmmm...okay, will be waiting to hear. To top it all off, things are now in flux on my end, too...turns out that I'm not supposed to be able to take any vacation until six months after my hire date...which is early April!!! So, if I have to travel, getting vacation in March is going to require considerable cajoling. I'm doing my own figuring on how best to try and pull it off.

My workplace does have a (small) club owner as a customer, but I haven't seen him lately. I'll make some inquiries if/when I do. Who knows?

Lisa,

I sent an email to the above address regarding speaking to the club owner today. Not a lot of info to share, but wanted to let you know I'm talking Cy up!

Asking for a friend

Any update on this tour... one of my friends is just dying to know.

Wink Re: Asking for a friend

Originally posted by biotechguy
    Any update on this tour... one of my friends is just dying to know.
    Well, gee, how come ALL of your friends aren't dying to know???

So, here's the latest...

Tourwise. For a variety of reasons, March just wasn't working out. Bad economy. Folks like to stay in during the colder weather. Travel is more unpredictable, etc. So, now we are looking at dates for May. I promise to let you all know as soon as we get confirmed dates.

CDwise. Solar Minimum is coming together. Cy is working closely with the fabulous Nick Jackson, who is mixing the record right now. I haven't heard the final tracks yet, but I have read the lyrics and all I can say is wow. Ed is putting together some brilliant artwork too. Anticipating an April release date. Later this week, I hope we'll be making a cool announcement about the record. Something different this time. That's all I'll say for now.

Cy is on Twitter. Follow him at cycurnin for newsy bits and those clever, curious curninisms...
    Lisa

hi lisa thanks for the update!! looking forward to the new cd!! i hope to see the fixx here this summer that would be great or maybe niagara falls either or i will be there lol dee
    music junkie!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast