Thread: A letter from the White House

A letter from the White House

So today I get the typical White House newsletter by email, since I recently sent them an idea so I guess that opened me up to the Federal Spam mailing list.

The President's note says that everybody needs to roll up their sleeves and help volunteer this summer to help each other out. Irony. My sleeves are not getting rolled up, they stay velcro'd shut along with all my protective gear for Iraq. I thought maybe I'd just click "delete" real fast and move on, but I went ahead and read it all. The President may have meant well, but I think he's missing some dynamics that are causing bitterness in America, and for most Americans outside the Beltway looking in, we wonder when those inside the Beltway will roll up their own sleeves and lead by example.

Am I alone in the growing crowd of those "treading water" in life and a bit tired of the cheering section in Washington telling us to not only keep it up, but swim over and help our drowning brother, all the while they sit there out of the water, cheering and shouting orders from their secluded position, while Washington rakes in money like never before and most everyone in D.C. drives a brand new car and is clueless what is happening in America. Read this article about how Washington, D.C. has become a boom town in our dismal economy: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1244...mEditorialPage

I will offer what I think is the most important book to better understand money, banking, central banks, and the crisis we're in, but also has a basic recommendation of how we could change.
    "What Has Government Done to Our Money?" by Murray Rothbard
    Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/What-Governmen...pr_product_top

This book was first published in 1963, and is in a 5th Edition, but the author has passed and can no longer update it. However, his analysis and predictions run right in line with what is happening to us right now. I have read over 50 books while over here, and this is one of only a handful I would recommend for everyone to get. And I mean everyone -- his analysis and recommendations apply to all nations on earth. Buying this is like buying a shield in medieval times, you're going to need some protection.
    BM
    Last edited by Beached Male; 06-22-2009 at 05:40 PM.
    I've been lurking...

Yeah, I kind of had a feeling of, "well, I already volunteer, so I'm covered". Dan and I staff the ham radio station of the local science museum on two different Saturdays of the month - that's where we met and started down the road of being a couple. I probably should do even more, but I sort of take the attitude that I try to make things better through my paid work, too (I work at a local bank and try to show the world that we're not all a bunch of vilely horrible folks). That, and when I see something I can do on a one-off basis, I do what I can, be it helping out a local cause, or promoting one on Facebook. Or sponsoring Cy/Jamie/Sherri (yes, I promise before you go to Africa, Cy)! So, I suppose I felt somewhat like a choir member being preached to, but hopefully, someone who hasn't volunteered yet WILL get inspired. But yes, the politicos need to lead by example and not just words for this to happen.
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

Thumbs up Do what I can

Quoted from Carrie Williams -That, and when I see something I can do on a one-off basis, I do what I can, be it helping out a local cause, or promoting one on Facebook. Or sponsoring Cy/Jamie/Sherri (yes, I promise before you go to Africa, Cy)! So, I suppose I felt somewhat like a choir member being preached to, but hopefully, someone who hasn't volunteered yet WILL get inspired. But yes, the politicos need to lead by example and not just words for this to happen.

Thanks Carrie - yes indeed I will be doing the Love,Hope,Strength walkathon again this year and will continue as long as this charity will be around - my reasons for this year are now unfortunately growing My husband's father is fighting a tough fight from gallbladder cancer. Hoping he will survive it but the reality is usually 5 years or less for this type of cancer. Just found out Kevin's oldest brother is having gallbladder attacks and praying the cancer is non-hereditary!

So doing what I can do besides Love,Hope,Strength -
    I am now teaching my children the importance of helping others. We may not have a lot of money to spread but we do have lots of love and kind thoughts We are becoming active in church in which ours supports the troops. They also support local families in need and I pray I will never have to call upon the very charity we are helping. Although ya' never know the way this economy has been!

Off topic a little, but has your brother-in-law approached the docs about the possibility of having his gall bladder removed as a preventive measure, given his family history? Reminds me of that group of 12 cousins or so who've all had their stomachs removed to prevent them getting the stomach cancer than runs so strongly in their family (and is very aggressive).

You bring up a great point about parents leading by example...kids are much more likely to identify with what they see their parents do, rather than observing the actions of a far-off politician. Not that both shouldn't be done; that way, kids of uninvolved parents still might be inspired by the politician/person in leadership role.

Back to LHSF - Fixxture (West Coast) Carrie (not me - I WISH!) is also doing the Kilimanjaro trek, and could use donations for those who wish to give to that event. I'm gonna have a tough time even getting my donation to Cy together, but may try to do both, given that Carrie probably doesn't have a support base as large as Cy's to draw from.
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

When/if taxes go up in the U.S., folks will be rolling up their sleeves to work a second (or third) job.

I rediscovered a deep cut from the band "Bread" recently from their 1972 album "Baby I'm a Want You." Give a listen to the song "This isn't what the Governmeant" sometime - no MP3 available.
    BM
    I've been lurking...

I will be doing the Love,Hope,Strength walkathon again this year and will continue as long as this charity will be around - my reasons for this year are now unfortunately growing My husband's father is fighting a tough fight from gallbladder cancer. Hoping he will survive it but the reality is usually 5 years or less for this type of cancer. Just found out Kevin's oldest brother is having gallbladder attacks and praying the cancer is non-hereditary!
    happy life