Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Social Networking Websites - An Opinion

Yeah, I think the thing to keep in mind here (and on other topics as well) is that we're informing each other of opinions, not (necessarily) facts. What's true for one might not be true for another. Or it might be, but let him or her decide.
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

Originally posted by Robert M
    "I'm not one of those joiners,
    I'm not down with the club.
    There's no place I'm going to,
    You see, it's the hole I've dug...

...I just leave it alone."

Forums are about all I can cope with - Facebook/MySpace/Twitter are, to me, all about establishing exactly the same groups & networks as there were at school (only on a wider basis).

Why on earth would I want to go there again? I want to read/hear new ideas, I want to stretch out, I want to be challenged... the point was made about writing letters - there's no higher form of communication imo.
    I'm with you Robert; I've cut back on the number of forums I visit, and I don't have the time or interest to deal with Twitter, Facebook, etc.

I deal with email all day, so there's nothing more warming than receiving a handwritten letter through the mail.
    From the point of ignition
    to the final drive
    the point of the journey
    is not to arrive
    anything can happen

Whoa... this was a steamy one....

I have my feelings on both sides of the story here...

Having been in a 10,000 mile long distance relationship for over 3 years... email and this forum was essential for our communication... if it had not been for this forum we would have never met and had this wonderful, amazing experience with each other.....so I have to thank technology for that one.

But I have to disagree with...or perhaps I should say I am puzzled by this comment from 1002

"You can't get that emotion or feeling from Arial font."

Unless you use bold type or all caps.

being a writer, and 1002 is one as well ...and having read some of his work..I really don't get what that quote is about or how it actually pertains to this conversation.

Words are the very essense of our ability to express our emotions and feelings and to convey them to others ... writers either write from observation or experience.... How many time have you heard a song, read a passage or poem and thought " Man, have I been there. I totally get that. I can relate to exactly to what this writer is saying."

so I really don't think it requires " arial font, bold type or all caps" to express your self via email...perhaps the secret is what you are really trying to convey and your ablity to express your feelings to the recipient of the message you are sending... I know that the love behind the words in a daily email/PM meant more to me than I can possibly ever express.... and they were rarely in bold type.

As Far as being cautious with FB.....I agree....

You need to be careful of what you are putting on FB and Myspace..and really you should not be revealing too much personal information. I have really started evaluating exactly what I post on my FB page... and have deleted certain information.

And there is that rumour that potential employers will pull you up on Myspace or FB... whether that is true or not I do not know.. but since I am in the job market the last thing I need is potenial employer seeing a picture of me with a lamp shade on my head (not that one exist... not that I know of anways.. but you get my general drift....LOL!! )

Unfortunatly, there is the realization that we live in a world of predators... who are looking to take advantage of vulnerable people and use whatever information you reveal against you...

Also it is easy to be someone or something you are not when you are hiding behind a computer.

Lies are all too easy to spill and the web can get tangled. Sometimes intentions are not alway what they seem to be when you are not communicating in person or over the phone...1002 once said to me " When communication breaks down, that is really the beginning of the end" I have experienced this also through internet communication.

And you need to be careful to watch your words that can be easily misconstrued . There is nothing worse than second guessing what someone means by an email or text message.

That is why I do not prefer that type of communication,if given a choice. It is too easily misread. I guess I am a "cards on the table" and "in your face kind of person".. I like and prefer the interpersonal relationships... Hope I did not reveal too much.. LOL!

so Yes, I agree with Beached Male..... I would rather hear the comfort in the voice I love to hear from..... or see that persons face and experience their closeness. I perfer to be able to read the person I am talking with either by inflections in voice or by body language.

But in this day and age... "Technology has lead to the dehumanization of civilazation" Dennis DeYoung... and "Messages on cell phones replace the need for human touch. Someone leave me a message, God I miss it so much" Cy Curnin...

I do not think that there is a chance of ever going back to the simple times...it is rare that you experience more than a 2 minute deep interpersonal communication with anyone you meet on the streets these days.. Sad... I hope I do not sound jaded...

Though Lord knows...... I love getting a card/letter in the mail. It sure beats the heck out of a bill and brings more joy.

But.....having said all that...

I have met some amazing, talented and lovely people through the internet... including many of you from this board...some of you that I am proud to call some of my "closest friends.. and even a few " sister friends"... and the band as well..... I met the love of my life here ... so I will always be grateful to theFixx.com.... it has been a vital experience in my life.....

I have always stayed in contact with my closest friends from high school... but have connected with many "aquaintances" as well on FB.... are they my best friends... No.. but it is still nice to to catch up...and see where everyone is in there life... I just do not have the time to spend on FB. It is like a second job sometimes.

SO.....to wrap it all up in a neat little package...

in the words of my favorite songwriter....

" there will always be two different views"

Peace...love and hugs to all that I know here... and those I hope to meet someday.

I am going to go sit on my deck now, light a candle, and listen to crickets,enjoy the last of this sunset and watch for lightening bugs....oh the simple joys...LOL!!

Jeanne
    Last edited by Jeanne Thelen; 08-01-2009 at 08:30 PM.
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Don't get too confused, I was only sarcastically replying to BM's comment. I guess I should have used one of those winky faces, those seem to convey emotions well for the Internet generation.

..and now if you'll all excuse me, I'm going to go pop in my DVD of Blazing Saddles and reminisce about life before sensitivity training..or at least the political correctness of the 1990's.

Oh....
    Okay...

Knowing the writer in you... I should have guessed...

No harm... No foul.
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.
    from 1002 ...and reminisce about life before sensitivity training..or at least the political correctness of the 1990's.

Word.

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

Marines

It's official, the Marines just shut down access to Social Networking sites for computers on their network, for security concerns. I won't be surprised if this becomes a trend, even for civilian corporate networks also in some cases. For those who work in jobs without "sensitive" information, this may not sound reasonable, but some jobs do have information that if leaked, can cost in lives or income. The military is often seen as a guinea pig for policy, so watch this one get bantered about and some debate ensue in a wider discussion in media.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/32283316

BM
    I've been lurking...

Here's a little something on YT about FB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKHaFJzUb4
    I am the winner in any event.

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.
    Hi Queen-

love that link! I'm in!

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

Originally posted by Cary C-Troll
    Hi Queen-

love that link! I'm in!
    I liked the comment about photos...thought that was pretty revealing about people wanting more and more photos of us women folks all the time! lol
    I am the winner in any event.

FaceBook is wearing thin on me at this point. The members here can most likely see ShoeMan at this spot more often. And with the release of "Beautiful Friction" only two months away as I type this, the timing is right-on. I'll most likely keep my FB account, at least for now. But there's too much glorification of alcohol, tobacco, profanity, various forms of sexual misbehavior and miscellaneous nonsense. This MB used to be my first stop of the day, when surfing. Might be time to revive that. Long live The Fixx.
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Shoe,
    "Amen Brother" - to update on this old post, I never have joined Facebook, and probably never will.
    Give me a rickety old swing on the wrap-around porch of an old house, with a glass of iced tea spiked with lemon, and just come on over and chat for a while...with a favorite album playing just loud enough inside, to make it great background music to the conversation....
    BM
    I've been lurking...

Originally posted by Beached Male
    ...just come on over and chat for a while...with a favorite album playing just loud enough inside, to make it great background music to the conversation....
    BM
    Difficult to do when your friends are 2, 3, & 5 thousand miles away.

Social networks allow daily interaction with those friends that are so far away.

This message board is a social network, however, the format of message boards has diminished significantly in popularity as you all can see be the sparse postings.

I know I can login to Facebook and in a matter of minutes see what Jen & Magical are up to in St. Louis, see Lisa or Diamond Dave's latest interests on the east coast, marvel at Carrie's ability to enjoy Rush shows regularly, and see Heimo's latest and greatest photos from Germany. I find that comforting.

I enjoy seeing Shoeman on there too but am sad that he has been overwhelmed with things he doesn't want to see. All I can say is take the time to learn how to hide those things or people who bring you down. FB gives you a lot of control over what you see, it just takes some time devoted to changing some settings or hiding certain users for good. Or better yet, create a "List" of all the people who are most important to you and just follow that list & interact with them rather than the entire "news" feed.

Cheers mates!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12