Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cy's US Tour - November

Cy's US Tour - November

Hey Everybody,

I am introducing this thread because this topic is likely to be one of conversation soon. I want to keep you informed of what's going on and know that this is the place where you can get accurate information.

So, we are currently booking the tour, planning for several weeks during the month of November. I don't have the ink dry on more than a few shows yet, so I have been hesitant to roll them out to you yet. Why? Well, if we don't put together a lot more dates and make a real shooting match out of this thing, it could still fall apart. We've had a couple of false starts before and I'm trying to keep from jinxing things.

One of the reasons why I started this thread is that there are some clubs beginning to advertise dates alfready. Apparently, a gig can begin promoting a show even before the final contract is executed. I find that very interesting. But I certainly commend their industry and enthusiasm.

I am sensitive to the fact that many of you have made expensive travel plans in the past, only to have a show canceled. I don't want to see that happen here. Sad fact is that the economy hasn't gotten any better this year and it's a challenge to tour, even when you do things in a stripped down way. Logistics, time and cost are all factors that constantly affect the schedule as its being massaged together. One change can have a cascade effect on the subsequent dates. So, when I post dates here, I'm going to do so with a caveat. Bad stuff happens.

A little bit about the tour. Cy will be coming out on the road and bringing along his great friend, Nick Harper. Nick will open the shows and then stick around to play during Cy's set. So, it's just the two of them. I am completely thrilled to see this myself. No doubt it will make for some very entertaining evenings. The material of Cy's part of the show will likely be mostly Cy's songs from the last three solo albums, perhaps some new songs and probably two or three Fixx tunes, reinvented for a two-piece.

Right now it's looking like West Coast dates, East Coast dates and one sort of in the middle. Sorry flyover states. It's a logistic thing. We need dates that are close together and inexpensive to get to. When you start wandering beyond the coasts, it begins to cost more and take longer to get from place to place.

Let's see. Some random questions you might have already. Will there be merch? Nothing you haven't seen before. In fact, if you end up attending a show and would be willing to help out with merch, please contact me off the board. That would be superhelpful.

Wanna help promote a date you are attending? Thankyouthankyou. You have no idea. Please contact me.

Dates outside of the US? No specific plans at this time, but some dates in Europe are quite possible before the end of winter, 2010. Why doesn't Cy play (insert foreign country here)? Well, in order to book clubs, the owners need to believe the artist has a big enough following or notoriety in the area to do that. It's a big world out there.

By the way, please don't hesitate to ask me a question at management@cycurnin.com. That's what I'm here for. Also, do keep sending me your recommendations for venues. I do want to hear about them and I do forward the contact information you provide to me to our booker.
    Lisa

Dates

As I said, I would like to refrain from posting gigs here until they are solid. I would ask that you do the same, even if you find ads and things posted elsewhere. I promise to share the good stuff when it's a done deal.

Right now, we have the following cities penciled in. Please keep your fingers crossed and I will fill in the details as soon as possible:

Denver, CO
    Henderson, NV
    San Diego, CA
    San Francisco, CA
    Corona, CA (this may be a gig for a charity, not sure on cost/open admission)
    NYC
    Vienna, VA
    Athens, GA
    Jacksonville, FL

Hope to add more in the coming weeks!

Thanks everybody.
    Lisa

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.

Huge, Tremendous Yay!

I've been so bummed that prior known dates are during my vacation elsewhere. Lisa, can't thank you enough!

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

Interesting, but would need more information.
    I am the winner in any event.

HOORAY FLORIDA!!!!!!! thanks Cary
    My sentimental friend we`ll walk as one again,one day.M.Ure

Sweet...but any, even rough, ideas of dates? Like, East Coast is likely the week of ____, West Coast is likely the week of ____? I ask because I have to put in for vacation (reservations can certainly wait until later, but work is already putting the pressure on in terms of vacation).

I'm thinking Florida sounds nice, since Dan and I have wanted to vacation there for a while. New York is obviously closest, but I detest getting around in the city. Henderson, NV, if it's the usual place, is our favorite November spot anyway, but Dan's starting to voice opposition to flying that far.

Sadly, an issue that I have to plan ahead for now is mobility/accessibilty - will any venues be standing only? I'd probably stay away from those, since my bad days health-wise make it difficult if not impossible to stand very long (or walk very far) now. I'm considering using mobilty aids if I have to attend a show with these conditions, but it would be easier if there were seats (or they allow folding chairs, if outside, for example).

I realize a lot of this probably isn't known yet, but any info is greatly appreciated! And I can't wait...I'm thrilled that there's any hope at all for this tour! New Jersey in September will have to tide me over!
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

Corona would be sweet - I think I can crawl there from here. We might even get Fixxation and spouse to attend this one!
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

Thanks so much for the updates musegirl. I certainly hope there's a chance to sneak in a date in the Phoenix area since it wouldn't be so far from the rest of the west coast destiniations. Good luck with bookings!!

Whoohoo Corona, I live in Temecula so that date would only be about 15 minutes away from my house, sweeeet!

Alicia

Carrie and anyone wanting to come down south here to Florida.I know Jax very well if help needed,let me know,o.k.
    Rhonda

Not that I am a buff on the city but been there but need info on venue first.Just remember one great southern rock band that came from Jax.Lynyrd Skynyrd!
    My sentimental friend we`ll walk as one again,one day.M.Ure

Just following up, guys.

Once again, if I could comfortably give you dates right now, I would. We are still three months out. Asking for dates now so you can book vacations is exactly the sort of thing that makes me really cagey about saying anything at all. In a couple of weeks, we should have more in place and I hope to be able to speak with greater confidence.

As for accessibility and things like that, this will likely vary by the venue and I suspect be something that can be worked out on an individual basis (I suspect a polite call to a venue explaining your situation will result in a stool or a chair, etc.) That being said, like most indie artists - Cy is likely to play some venues that do not have white tablecloths, if you get my meaning.

I do want to add a bit to my cryptic Corona comment. Like I said, it's a charity thing, but not LHSF. This means I don't know yet if it's a $15 stuff everybody in the door ticket or a $250 a plate rubber chicken and a show thing. I am truly hopeful it is the former. Will keep you posted.

Phoenix? I have no idea. Up to the booking agents. Once again, it helps if we can send a solid contact to a specific venue. i do recall the last time around we tried Phoenix and it wasn't looking too hospitable. :-(

I am very pleased to see positive responses and hope that everyone will get to see a show. Thank you so much. It really is appreciated.
    Lisa

You'll definitely be the first to know if we decide on Florida, Rhonda! There'd be a funny Freebird connection in Jacksonville, since both Skynyrd and the Fixx each have their own

Lisa, I was not saying I would turn up my nose at standing venues, or that I think I'm "too good" for them. I really hope I don't give off a vibe that I'm that kind of person. I'm just remembering shows I've been to where the venue (outdoor) would not allow folding chairs in. Not sure how they would have dealt with walkers/wheelchairs, as there were no attendees using them that I saw. Thank you for the suggestion of contacting venues; all I want is to be able to GO to a show. Believe me, I'm mortified that I have to be thinking about health issues at 36 that I didn't expect to be dealing with until I was elderly, but like you say, bad things can and have happened.
    Last edited by Carrie; 08-09-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Maybe on course to the best yet!

I hate to put my 2 cents worth in...eh, no I don't! But some of the dive bars can be some of your best venus or worse. Around here in TN, you have some of best characters, and some of the shadiest. When ever I go somewhere on vaction ect. I love to get off the beaten path away from the tourest areas just to get around the "real" people. I just hope Cy doesn't get to far off the path and end up with a rough night at a "I love this bar." kindof place. Been to too many of those myself and gotten in some situations(people throwing punches and beer bottles) that gettin' out of was a duck and cover event. I'd love to see him in more of a hometown show, since I've never been to a live event of his.

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.

Truth be told

what we're all really thinking...he could sing about nonsense & popcorn from a cave and we'd feel

There...I said it.

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast