Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixx In Denver

WHO'S GOING TO DENVER??

Revised Post:

Who's Going To Denver ???

Last edited by Doctor Roger; 05-19-2010 at 07:14 AM.

Screw Denver - where are the WEST COAST DATES?!?!?!?!?!

heeheehee

oops - I meant to say - Sorry Rog - can't make Denver . . . . . see you in Frisco?
    ~Bathe In A Turning Tide~

They should come to iraq and play YYYYYYYYAAAAAAAHHHHHH
    "I don't do it for myself, I do it for the men and women besides me. And i do it for all the people back home who can't. I do it, For my Country"

So a FIXX show a few days away, and yet no chatter or anyone getting excited? Cmon Denver fans... where IS ya ???

We better send some spies, so we can maybe finally figure out what the hell is going on !

: )
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.
    Not going to Denver, but still excited they will be playing! Yay!!! On FB page - says Char & AZCarrie are going---Dave, spy assignment goes to them.

Hope to see more dates fill in the next two months. Happy to see the board is a little toned down of stuff that prolly could be kept on Facebook (thank you Dave & Roger----needed to be said to create a balance. A little ďmeĒ-info is one thingÖ) But thereís no balance if we donít get this board filled in with fanatical enthusiasm for The Fixx

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

I would ask the guys:

What kind of beer can i buy you ?

How many songs have you guys recorded since want that life came out?

How many songs have will have made it onto the new cd ?

When will the new cd be in the public's hands ?

When can we expect to see these promised 'world tour dates' to be announced ?

Which source is the best for us to get new/ latest info on the band- website/facebook ?

Are you gonna do a FIXX headlined tour, or a package 2-3 band deal again this time out ?

Am I missing anything peeps.... Fill in the blanks please.

<>D3

Re: 321

Originally posted by Diamond05

Am I missing anything peeps.... Fill in the blanks please.

<>D3
    Will the shows this summer include any of the new material in the setlist?

Will the setlist be revamped from the last several years (as much as I like Fatal Shore, The Fool, Less Cities, WoaT, Driven Out, etc. let's give them a break and play some songs that haven't seen the light of day in 10 years)?

I'm hoping the hit 3 of the east coast shows, so those are my burning questions.

-Chris

While we wait for more dates...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFspTb-J-kA
    ...when a breath inspires it's a sign of life...

I just got a call from Doctor Roger. He says the energy in Denver tonight is the most amazing he has seen in years. They had about 3000 fans at tonight's show. The good Doctor provided the following 18 song setlist...

Deeper & Deeper
    Secret Separation
    How Much is Enough?
    Driven Out
    Yesterday, Today
    The Fool
    All is Fair
    Are We Ourselves?
    One Thing
    Everyone Believes
    Reach the Beach
    Less Cities
    Stand or Fall
    Woman on a Train
    Fatal Shore
    Red Skies

and two encores...
    Sunshine in the Shade
    Saved By Zero

Sure wish I could have made that show.

Very cool to hear the positive atmosphere from the show, happy to hear that.

That said, I must be a jaded Fixx concertgoer, because that set list needs some serious freshening up. I totally get playing the hits for the crowd, and it's always a smart move. But many bands, not just the Fixx, seem to ignore great songs from their back catalogue over and over through the years. I'm sure they rehearse these songs and decide whether they work in a live show or not, I understand that. They must know that they have lots of good material that just doesn't get dusted off anymore, and yes the main offender is The Sign Of Fire, which I always gripe about (used to be Facing The Wind )which happens to be a single. When my band played a bunch of gigs late last year, we had our core set of songs, but I changed the set list or added new songs to the set every time we played out, just to keep things interesting for us, and our 'core group' of followers.

Again, it's not just The Fixx. I wonder the same thing about all of my favorite bands, 'why doesn't Depeche ever break out Here Is The House', or 'I wish x band would play x song just once', and I get the static set lists, and satisfying the common denominator. I've seen a lot of good ideas on this board for what they could play live, that would satisfy the hardcores, and be good for the casual audience.

I'm curious to hear from Rupert, Adam, or Cy - who post here once in a while - curious what their take is on some of those album tracks (in many cases as strong as the singles). It's not that they never do it, Yesterday Today being a good example, but are songs like World Weary, Don't Be Scared, One Look Up, Sign Of Fire, or oddities like The Strain, Precious Stone, or Changing..how does the band view these songs now? Are they just long-lost album-filler relics..do they not like these songs anymore..or do they just not think to dust these 'other' Fixx songs off and give them a shot in a live setting? The Westwood One '89 gig (one of their finest set lists ever) features quite a few songs that have long been retired in the live set, and they're SOLID live songs.

As a musician who plays live, I understand the logistics to *an extent*, but the music lover/fan in me still gets frustrated when bands seem to ignore some of their great, forgotten songs in concert. Maybe the guys are just in a comfort zone now? Maybe they could be arsed to rehearse/re-learn songs like Big Wall, The Flow, I Live, etc. for what they're doing now?

I'd love to hear some opinions on this. It's been a while since I waxed Fixx, but I'm up for some discussion. Thoughts?

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.

I say it's a strategy call

18 songs! Sick w/envy. The Denver set may not be the plan for their dates later this summer- who knows. Since Iíve only seen The Fixx once live, I would be happy with that set.

IDK, I have followed other bands on the road, knowing Iíd hear nearly identical sets from venue to venue. And I loved it!- maybe itís because the crowdís response & singing along is kind of electric. My most memorable moments from every concert are when the first few notes of a song are played, song unannounced, and the crowd goes nuts. It kills me when a band plays a lesser known song & half the crowd begins chatting & texting or whatever. Pimp-slap to that.

New material from the upcoming album or Changing : ) would be more than I could hope for. Who do I fax my set list to?

Iím thinking- for 3,000 ppl, greatest hits is the way to get asked back again & again to Day of Rock. It also sells more CDs to new fans at shows, exposing them to the deeper tracks that we love.
    Last edited by Cary C-Troll; 05-30-2010 at 11:44 AM.

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

Rock On FIXX....anyone recording the show???
    gee-bee

Aren't Yesterday, Today, Sunshine in the Shade, and All is Fair relatively new additions to the set list? I may have heard them once or twice in recent years, but not much if at all.

wow, the staple standard setlist again- maybe they didnt have a lot of rehearsal time, and went with the ones they can play with their eyes closed.

Really shocked they didnt even throw in a new one (or two) to let the crowd know they re NOT just a memory lane/blast from the past band... must be something up their sleeve. : )

looking forward to da new stuff....

Dang, wish I'd been able to get to Denver!
    It's always a wonderful treat to see them play.

Aside: I agree with Tenohtwo & Diamond.

Anxious for the new material, and wish they'd mix it up or throw in a new one, now and again...to let new listeners and the general public at large be aware they're making new songs, and have been for years...to keep The Fixx from being sadly trapped into a perception of solely an 80's band.

They are so much more than that!

However... I will agree with Cary, a bit. Familiarity can be a good thing.

I saw Sting, w/ Dominic Miller and Annie Lennox opening for him a few years ago. That show...Sting whipped out ALL slow, lethargic B-sides. It was a very lame boring snoozer of a show, actually. As Henry Izzo would say, lots of portolet break opportunities. It would've been better to mix in some of the hits, some of the B sides, some of the new material and alternate 2 or 3 rocking out songs to every one ballad/slow one plus end on an upbeat song, like Ms Lennox did. She also told cool stories about some of the song origins, too--very savvy that way. Even Dominic was a better entertainer that night...and he's just Sting's guitarist, playing a classical music acoustic opener, plus some of his set was very familiar to music fans.

Sting didn't get one tenth of the crowd response that Annie got, so not surprisingly he didn't come back for any encores.

Eh, then again, maybe Sting was just pitching an overall diva touring fit or having a rare off-night, as a justifiable out for that particular show. But...

At some point, the artist has to take into account a degree of playing to and entertaining the audience, and not settle for either taking a patented easy way out or throwing out such a tempermental artist curve ball of all slow B sides as to alienate the crowd.
    My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
    ~Dalai Lama

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    ~Adam Savage

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast