Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixx In Denver

Hi all ! Gosh , it's been a long time since I have been on here . Not for lack of interest , just been very busy with work and all . Hope all is well with everyone and their families ! This is an interesting topic . While I would love to hear some new songs ( like everyone else ) I respect the band's decisions on the play list . Maybe they feel the new stuff isn't quite "worked out " enough to play live yet ? Maybe Rupert can't remember his part , Maybe Cy forgot the words ? ( JK of course ) I think most people are like me , they come and play ...we enjoy and have fun after . where do I sign up ? Hope to see all of you at the Largo show , don't think I can make Orlando , oh well can't have everthing . cheers....brad

jwo axes ?

So did Jamie rent a coupla Strats (to not have to ship his here for one gig) or did he get a get some new gear ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Re: My take

Originally posted by Doctor Roger
    Well, first of all, I LOVE the fact that all the opinions are flowing again

..... although I see and understand the contrary points made, I still come back to the fact that as true fans, we really don't have the right to demand or try to mandate what songs are played.

I would never put the band in the position of trying to make little old ME happy or many other personal faves.

To All With Much Love and Respect,

Dr. Roger
    These comments ring true loud and clear for me. I have been guilty of requesting a couple of rarities now and again. In fact, when Chris Tait was with the band, I begged for him to learn Opinions at every show since that was his excuse why they didn't play it anymore. Then, one night in a Chicago 'burb at an outdoor venue, Cy muttered something about someone asking them to play this song so they "dusted it off" and gave it a go. It was Opinions. I almost fell over. I have it on video somewhere but no longer have a way to play it. Note to self to dust it off and get it transferred to DVD. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to rquest that song, but after, Chris told me it was 'cause I "harped on it so much" that they had to. I have not requested a song since. As much as I want to, I will refrain. I am willingly driving 15 hrs. to Busch Gardens to hear them play live and will be happy to hear whatever they want to play for me. If I want to hear Opinions, I will pop in a CD. I know the majority of people there will want the standards 'cause that's all they know. Whatever it takes to get them to pick up a greatest hits cd or a new cd -anything to make some $ for the guys so they can keep comin' 'round. Nothing beats a live concert no matter what song is played.

My only prob. is not enough "potty break songs".

Sigh....

I have to say that I am in agreement....

I get the whole "let's play the crowd pleasers" and get the house rocking..... But, on the other hand...I have to say I side with Diamond, 1002 and Kim... There are so many great songs that I would love to hear again....( okay...I will not throw in a plug for Two Different Views here.... I get it.. Too slow...)

.. But there are many songs off of Calm Animals, Phantoms, and Reach for us Old time Fixxtures... that would bring down the house and mix it up a bit....... I was THRILLED when they played I Found You and Facing the Wind... Two of my personal favorites.....

Don't get me wrong... I am happy to hear anything that the Fixx play... and am dying to hear the new stuff after waiting 5 years since they played " Everyone" in March of 2005 in San Fran for the first time.... patience is not one of my best virtues....sadly... LOL!!

I am just waiting( patiently) for the rest of the tour to fill in...so again.... I just have to say....

Sigh....
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Jeanne were you the one who asked them to play Treasure It a number of years ago, too? Or maybe that was Tracy. I nearly died when I heard that one in one of the Chicago suburban outdoor shows. I enjoy hearing some different songs live, but it's more like icing on the cupcake for me. I can't say I've ever felt disappointed at hearing a similar set list. Maybe because they always play with such energy and sound great, so it always sounds fresh. Well, OK, OTLTA isn't one I live to hear anymore, but I know it's a given and I still enjoy hearing most of the others. I'm just glad I've been able to see them so many times. I did think they'd play some new material, but there is still time for that. I look forward to hearing it when they come to Chicago very soon.

No... sorry that was not me... must have been Tracy.
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Even after all these years, my next Fixx show will also be my first. I believe most of you here know that.

And they could play "Three Blind Mice" and I'd sit there open-mouthed and starry-eyed in genuine admiration. Shoeman would be so dazed so see them live that you fellow Fixxtures would have to prop him up, tell him what song they're doing at the moment, help him remember his own name, etc. etc.

So I'll welcome any setlist they have.

Meanwhile, I'd love to hear more about the atmosphere at the Denver show: the crowd, how things went at Meet And Greet, and more.

Dr. Roger? Anybody?
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

The Shoe Fits

Hey Shoe-ee,

The mood in Denver was great in all respects. There was the excitement of seeing them live after a long pause, that in itself is always a good spark.

Then, for me anyway, the set list helped build the performance to a cresendo of hits, ballads, and brought out the talent and essence we know and love. They haven't lost a beat. Scott's sound wizardry was on full display as usual, as we've come to expect. Lights were lame at best, only two 7 pod stands.

Meet and Greet was well attended, orderly, with much love and old stories to go around. Old and new friends of the band had a moment with the guys, to everyone's delight. It seemed to me that Denver really appreciated the Fixx agreeing to come do this show. This feeling and love even trickled down to the hotel, who rolled out the red carpet for the band.

PLUG ALERT: If you go to downtown Denver, you should stay at the Courtyard Marriot on the 16th st. mall.

So I hope that my short description makes the shoe fit so to speak...

XX

Dr. Roger

Originally posted by shoeman
    Even after all these years, my next Fixx show will also be my first. I believe most of you here know that.
    Shoeman!

Have you considered making the long haul to the VA show in Williamsburg? We'd love to meet you! Just a a thought to put those walking shoes to good use!
    I am the winner in any event.

My Lovelie Queene!!

For such a long haul, your faithful Shoeman would need to omit the walking shoes in favor of some durable hiking boots(which ARE made for walking!! ) Though I'd have to say another mode of transportation should work better.

Yes, I'd enjoy meeting all of you also.
    Might be a reach. We'll see....
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Originally posted by hazelnut
    Jeanne were you the one who asked them to play Treasure It a number of years ago, too? Or maybe that was Tracy. I nearly died when I heard that one ....[/I].
    It could have been me. I do love that song! But, then again, I have been extremely guilty of requesting a lot. LOL! Especially when the beer is flowing! LOL! They have been so gracious to accomodate many of their Fixxtures.

I have not seen them perform in a while. Having 2 little ones has slowed me down quite a bit. Maybe I should get my traveling bags out again?? Hmmm...Oh the memories!

Take care!
    Tracy

About trying to get fan input to the set list - a few years back we did have a thread on this message board about which non-hit song should get played during the upcoming tour, and "Facing the Wind" had the most votes, and the band ended up playing it at nearly every event that year.

Perhaps we should start another non-hit request thread, with one winner "suggested" to the boys...
    I've been lurking...

I gotta chime in here about it being wrong to request songs and such... that's a bit silly.
    All bands deal with it, as long as you are not shouting songs at the band during the show there is nothing wrong with asking for a favorite song to be played.
    However it will fall on deaf ears with these cats... they are set in their ways to say the least. Partly because they don't get much time for rehearsal. The longer the tour goes the better chance we have of old gems being practiced at sound check.
    As a diehard fan and ex Fixx employee I feel the lack of mixing it up hurts them. It's tough for some fans to go to more than one show if the songs don't change, it leaves the band in the one and done catagory and can even bore the band. Even worse when the set doesn't change for 5 years. There are bands out there now who play for 2.5 hours and don't repeat songs for 3 to 4 shows. That is the best way to keep your fan base if you are not topping the charts.
    Of course they want to deliver the best show possible and they are as professional as bands come, but songs like Outside, Less Cities, Sign of Fire, Reach The Beach, and many others have vanished. They can't play them all, but Outside was a cornerstone song for so long it's a shame it has dropped off for good. It contains some of Jaime's best guitar work and helped drive The Reach The Beach Album to it's heights as a closing song.
    If you love this band like I do, your best bet is to never miss a Santa Cruz Beach show... you get them for 2 hours.
    My .02... Kisses, Jim Maguire

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.

Shut it

I donít care what they play. If itís my favorite movie, Iíll watch it one hundred times. Iím just happy theyíre touring and making music- the same guys, not 1 original and a third cousin of Rupertís, and a look alike from Manila. What message are we trying to send? I hope the guys donít read this stuff. You give and give and freaking give and what do you get?
    -Criticism from ďyour biggest fansĒ?
    -Complaints about the costs of going to see them??

Are you freaking kidding me???

I get my all request Fixx by playing their CDs.
    I hope they play Bon JoviÖno! Poison covers from here out to **** everyone off. And I loathe Poison.

I will not edit or delete this, I will not edit or delete this, I will not...
    damn it...I'm probably going to edit or delete this.

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

Re: Re: My take

Originally posted by JEANNIE29

My only prob. is not enough "potty break songs".
    I'm the opposite, I will hold it even if it kills me, I'm not wanting to miss anything.

I just love the fact that they are still together, still tour, still record music. I am so grateful, you can't imagine. We all want to hear what we like but I also agree with Shoeman, they could play anything, I would be there.

I did have a dream a few months back, they played I Only Want To Be With You. I said to Jamie after the show, I didn't know you knew how to play that song. He said he winged it.

Dumb? Yes, but I was happy they played it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast