Thread: Deeper and Deeper and Streets of Fire

Deeper and Deeper and Streets of Fire

My question for you is whether any of you've seen the 1980s flick "Streets of Fire." Deeper and Deeper is featured in the closing credits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNReShLtYnY&feature=fvw

Funny how I got there. I was looking up background on the cool soundtrack from "Bubblegum Crisis", which said it sounded like it was influenced by Streets of Fire, which said Streets of Fire was a seminal work for the 80s despite low sales (a kind of Grease or Rocky Horror for the 80s?), which led me to YouTube, which led me to - Deepa and Deepa!

Since The Fixx have always been a force in their own right, with all of their uniqueness and depth, it would make sense that something on the cutting edge would have found its way into a movie of this kind of importance.

So, I'm hoping the movie won't be a disappointment. I don't always look at movies in the straightforward way: "Bob is here. Bob gets in a pickle. Bob saves the day. The end." I'll be looking for cool cues from the period, looking laterally for influences, whether I like riding the vibe 'til the end...
    Last edited by cageyJG; 06-13-2010 at 12:28 AM.

IMO save your money and your time, the movie sucks, the other 9 songs suck, and D+D is its only redeemer, D+D was probably the reason the soundtrack sold as many copies as it did, when D+D first came out that soundtrack was the only place you could find it, until the single for 'Are We Oursleves' was released and it became a b-side, but even then it was the long version which could have been a bit too much for some folks to digest

i know D+D was written specifically for the film, but if things were handled differently i think Phantoms would have easily approached the sales of Reach The Beach, maybe even surpassing it, D+D was a heavy player on modern rock stations summer 1984, you heard it everywhere, its too bad someone at MCA didnt realize what they had there, and what they didnt have with SOF, with the right promotion, and the right video, the edited version of D+D as a lead off single would have been a mainsteam top ten no doubt, and Are We Ourselves would have been that oh so vital 2nd hit that always helps things get across that cash register

like SBZ then OTLTA did

anyway, thats my rant on D+D and SOF, peace
    Last edited by Octopulse; 06-13-2010 at 06:57 PM.
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

I saw the movie, but it wasn't particularly memorable. Deeper and Deeper was the best part about it imho. I wonder what ever became of Michael Pare.
    mostly harmless, mostly into cats

I saw the movie. Unfortunately it sucked, alot of people didn't stay long enough for the credits. So they missed out on a great song. I seen an interview with Michael Pare, he wasn't looking to good. He kind of got into some bad habits. That is too bad, I liked him in Eddie and the Cruisers 1 and 2. Even though it wasn't him singing.

Just resurrected this discussion with someone, while on the topic of all the band's success lately. The question was asked, "So, there isn't even enough '80s kitsch to redeem Streets of Fire and make it watchable?"

Anyone want to mail me their old copy

Cool Recently picked up the movie on dvd

A while back, I bought a various cd Another Lost Decade the 80's Hard to find Hits(long title) just to get the short version of Deeper and Deeper. Then about a month ago I found the movie on dvd. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. Loved hearing the song during the credits. I'll keep it just for that.

"your amour is love"
    Michael

Movie was weak, two memorable songs from soundtrack

Deeper and Deeper is definitely a standout track on the soundtrack and as a single in general. "I Can Dream About You" by Dan Hartman was another '80's gem that I still really like even today. The movie is a 3o'clock in the morning when you can't sleep and there is nothing else on type of movie. I know..... harsh. I did like Michael Pare in Eddie and the Cruisers since I spent much time at the Jersey shore listening to great bar bands.

Quote Originally Posted by murph64 View Post
    The movie is a 3o'clock in the morning when you can't sleep and there is nothing else on type of movie. I know..... harsh..
    Those can be some of the best movies though...

1stnovaprime, that is some great dedication...

Do the lyrics tie into the themes/plot of the film? It IS a great song. Was this a Romeo & Juliet/Sharks-Jets kind of thing? A rock & roll romance? For some reason my instincts are screaming at me to avoid going to Wikipedia.

Talking about stealing the show no one would know
    Talking about stealing the show when they're all letting go
    Take a look at the witch see the twitch in her eye tell me what did she feel
    Is this the way of the world take a boy and a girl show them lying is real

(Chorus)
    Then I see the edge I look I fall
    And I get deeper and deeper
    The more I see the more I fall no place to hide
    You better take the call
    I get deeper and deeper

Was it the smell of the oil the sweat and the toil that made living unreal
    Was it the man in the suit or the boy with the flute tell me what did he steal
    Is it beginning to break can you see the mistake there'll be nowhere to go
    Once in a fool's blood in the wrong neighborhood what price did he pay

(Chorus)

So make you see what I mean tell me what do I say
    Hire your voice freedom of choice what do you say
    So I'm talking about stealin' the show no one would know
    Oh I'm talking about stealing the show when they're all letting go

(Chorus)

I see the edge I look I fall
    No place to hide I better take the call
    (repeat)

D&d

Quote Originally Posted by cageyJG View Post
    Those can be some of the best movies though...

1stnovaprime, that is some great dedication...

Do the lyrics tie into the themes/plot of the film? It IS a great song. Was this a Romeo & Juliet/Sharks-Jets kind of thing? A rock & roll romance? For some reason my instincts are screaming at me to avoid going to Wikipedia.

Talking about stealing the show no one would know
    Talking about stealing the show when they're all letting go
    Take a look at the witch see the twitch in her eye tell me what did she feel
    Is this the way of the world take a boy and a girl show them lying is real

(Chorus)
    Then I see the edge I look I fall
    And I get deeper and deeper
    The more I see the more I fall no place to hide
    You better take the call
    I get deeper and deeper

Was it the smell of the oil the sweat and the toil that made living unreal
    Was it the man in the suit or the boy with the flute tell me what did he steal
    Is it beginning to break can you see the mistake there'll be nowhere to go
    Once in a fool's blood in the wrong neighborhood what price did he pay

(Chorus)

So make you see what I mean tell me what do I say
    Hire your voice freedom of choice what do you say
    So I'm talking about stealin' the show no one would know
    Oh I'm talking about stealing the show when they're all letting go

(Chorus)

I see the edge I look I fall
    No place to hide I better take the call
    (repeat)
    Thanks! Great lyrics