Thread: New to the site and need feedback

New to the site and need feedback

Hello!

I'm an 80's guy and love The Fixx. I will confess I listened to them a lot more back in the day but still crank their music up every now and then including one CD I recently picked up --- "Want That Life" --- which I believe is their last release. I discovered their music by video on one of those late night music video TV shows back in the 80's but I don't recall which one -- seems like it started with "Night".

Anyway, let me get to my point, my brother is an avid fan of The Fixx. I have dabbled in concert promotion the last two years and have considered an attempt to bring the band here to Alabama so me, my wife (she likes the band too), and my brother could go see them since all we typically see is West Coast bookings when we look for them in the USA.

I hope this isn't inappropriate but I like laying all the cards on the table so here's the deal. To give this a shot I looked into doing a gig in Atlanta followed by one in BHAM AL. My concern is audience participation. There is no data I can find that would give me an idea how the band would do in either markets. Based on what I do know as far as the USA market goes, The Fixx doesn't do near the audience volume they should do IMO based on their hits and other great music. That's the part that scares me.

You guys are the experts on The Fixx -- can you give me any insight/ideas on whether or not these gigs would succeed? I need about 400 people or so per gig. If I could get 200 commitments per gig from the hardcore fan base I'd do them in a heartbeat. I think my marketing/promotion could take care of the rest.

I'm serious by the way and this wouldn't be my first rodeo. I've promoted gigs as small as 50 in the audience to 2500. I was hoping to do these in April but it might end up being something I have to wait for after the new CD comes out and they get on the road.

over at thefixx.com :

http://www.thefixx.com/contact.shtml
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Thanks but I have the info I need to make it happen just not the confidence -- yet.

Hey BizFan, glad you made it to the forum!

Count me in among those who would love to have The Fixx in Alabama, and yes, preferably Birmingham. If you're able to accomplish this, I must surely get you a new pair of Nikes. Need a new cross-trainer? Maybe a running shoe?

But I've often thought that WorkPlay would be an excellent venue for the band, and the club's atmosphere would surely be inviting to any out-of-towners who wished to make the trip.

The last time The Fixx played Alabama, the site was the Capri Theatre in Montgomery in November 2004. I contacted management there, they told me the Capri holds 385 people and the night of the Fixx show they had between 300 and 350 people, so nearly full on that occasion.

You can be sure I will be watching to see if anything develops with this.

John
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

The response here has been overwhelming .

I'm talking to 5 Points Music Hall about working a deal with me.

5 Points wasn't too interested because they said 80's bands don't do too well in Bham .

My new plan is to try and bring them to New Orleans in June. Working on it now. That's an easy drive or flight or train ride from Bham as you probably know. I'm also considering Dallas, TX.

Dallas and New Orleans are looking good for early August and I should know something for sure soon. I hope you guys and gals will attend if this becomes a reality!

Well hey, BizFan, I appreciate you trying so hard to bring them here. No other takers? Workplay? Sloss Furnaces? BottleTree? Alabama Theatre? Are Huntsville and Montgomery out of the picture? Or even Chattanooga? The Fixx have played there before.

80's bands don't do well in Bham? I just wonder if they've been given a fair chance. Nonetheless, I know Wang Chung played 5 Points recently, that was a free concert.

I'll try to make a road trip, but vacation time will be scarce for me this year.

Celtic Woman, Norah Jones, My Morning Jacket and Alice In Chains will all be coming to Bham shortly. They're all very good at what they do. But I'd trade 'em all for one Fixx show.

But good luck on New Orleans and Dallas.

Thanks for the update....

John
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Could have done Workplay but they charge a rent price that made it too risky.

5 Points are the folks that told me the 80's bands don't do well. They were not complimentary of the turnout for Wang Chung.

New Orleans will be on a Saturday if the gig gets booked. Supposed to get an answer in a few days. I think it looks pretty good. I'm sure there will be some BHAM folks going. Hope to see you there if it happens.

If anyone is interested, Dallas will be on a Friday.

Frustrating. Now I'm being told those dates won't work -- the agent picked them weeks ago after we discussed it for several minutes on the phone.

Oh well, this is going nowhere and it looks like all The Fixx agent is booking is festivals for some reason and they are back to back for 6 days which means Cy must have one hell of a strong voice box.

Hey, I tried. While I was trying to book a gig with The Fixx I managed to book 9 Todd Rundgren gigs (SonsOf1984.com for the remaining 6) and 1 Gary Myrick & The Figures reunion gig which will be in Dallas on 7/16 (treesdallas.com) and if it goes well we may book more. Something is not right with this picture. Just sayin.

Gary Myrick and The Figures show kicked ***. If those guys have a gig near you I would definitely recommend checking them out!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4449545_n.jpg