Thread: Do you think the band like their music videos?

Do you think the band like their music videos?

While surfin' the net, I found an interesting article from Spin magazine that was reviewing new videos from the 80's. In this issue they reviewed Secret Separation. They certainly weren't fans of the video and i assume probably not of the band in general. I have included that excerpt for you below. Personally I think SS is a good video but does lack originality. I just think Cy's a little too stiff (probably at the request of the director) as we would have liked to see him in his usual animated state. Jamie looks super cool as Rupert, Adam and Dan.

My question is, does anyone know how the lads feel about their videos? My feeling is that for the most part their videos were pretty strong (with the exception of Built For The Future - though we all enjoyed getting to see that side of the band). Less Cities may be their strongest IMO, while Saved By Zero is a classic 80's style video.

For kicks, what would be your Top 3 favorite Fixx videos?

Article:

"Our latest video is The Fixx Secret Separation. This is another genre video. We've seen this a million times before. It's the Thunderdome look, the junkyard in the airplane hanger where everything is rigged up on scaffolding and you see every piece of ****ing junk in the goddamn universe. It's really stupid.
    The exact opposite of the last video we saw by Peter Gabriel where every image was fresh and new.
    Here we see a human in a gerbil treadmill in a garafe filled with a zillion pieces of metal junk and we're not impressed. They're gerbils on the treadmill. They're in a fix and that's the fix they're in. They're gerbils on the rock 'n' roll treadmill prisoners of their haircuts."
    Last edited by tatawayowayo; 02-16-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Tatawayowayo

Most of the stuff I've read suggests that record companies hire directors who have their vision of what the video will look like and the band has little or no say of what the video subject, look, and feel will be. It would be nice to hear from Cy or one of the guys on the subject about how much input they had on such projects.

My personal favorite is "Stand or Fall" because it was my introduction to the band. Back in the day, when MTV played music videos, I stumbled upon the video and a love story was born. Rather than hearing a song on the radio, I first heard the Fixx while I was "plugged into my tv". So that video has a sentimental meaning to me, and along with the fact that the song kicks butt, it may always be my favorite video. I also like "Saved by Zero" and "Less Cities".

"One Thing" seems goofy by today's production standards, but is unforgettable as I often hear the song and see dobermans and cy running through the tube. So I guess it is memorable, if not hi-tech.

Interesting topic, now I've got to go watch all the videos again to see which ones truly are my favorites.

Jim in Wisconsin
    I'm drivin' in my car, I used to be able to walk this far

After a concert in 2002, I heard a fan asking Rupert about music videos. The opinion he stated was that music videos should just be the band playing their song, and nothing more.

Saved By Zero and One Thing have memorable imagery in their respective clips, so those are my two favorite 'early' videos. Also, "Are We Ourselves" is serviceable. I really like Driven Out and Precious Stone, they're nicely produced - very professional looking, and no-nonsense with the content (more or less just band shots). The Calm Animals clips are probably their best-looking overall. I think all these videos did a good job of visually capturing the mood of the songs.

On the flip side, Separation always looked too slick and overproduced to me, and the guys are wearing way too much make-up! It's clearly the vision of a director who was probably not in touch with the band's music. Another overproduced video is "How Much Is Enough", in which Cy scores some creepy points with the 'devil' makeup, and the band just looks out of place in that video. I guess it was a fitting clip for such a commercial-sounding album.

I agree both those videos are overproduced, but i like them both. Probably because both songs are two of my all time favorites. However, HMIE does have some silly moments because it wanted to be current but still had an 80's feel. Though it does have a corporate feel, I think the band looked really good at that point so give them points for that at least?

For the record my 3 favorite Fixx videos:

Less Cities
    Saved By Zero
    Are We Ourselves (this was really got me into the band)
    Tatawayowayo

this is tough- because their early vids were primitive looking (because no one ever made em before- so there was nothing to compare, mimic, or learn from)

i liked the simplicity of the red skies video- with the diff vocal track- those laser lights were wayyy cool in the early 80s....

I kinda like the goofiness of BFTFuture- its the guys being, the guys.... and their personalities come thru in this one, Cy's friendly carefree demeanor, JWO's shy but i know the camera is on me approach, and the others are all business like.

i even like the red skies remake- even tho it never had RED in the video. brilliant!

Yeah the SSep video was a clone of the police synch II video, but you could tell the band had "made the bigtime" because this was no nickel or dime video... So as xerox like as it was- i was happy for the band to get some respect and a high quality production video...

i love em all- wish they weren't so damn expensive to make so they could make 2-3 for each album.... but that is even kinda of old hat these days ? Who watches/ makes videos anymore ? Country artists and teenyboppers....... plus now its all reduced down to a ****ty small you tube size frame on yer computer.... it doesn't mean much now.......BFTF !
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.
    Built is one of my favorites for those same reasons. They look like they were having fun in studio. I also really like Less Cities. Touch is definitely a favorite b/c it’s candid/documentary-like. More, please.

I disagree with ***-wipe from SPIN. The Secret Separation video doesn’t go with the song, but b/c it has a lot of band shots, I loved it. This was the first vid I saw of them and watched it a million times. Still do. Genesis Invisible Touch was out at the same time. I remember thinking it looked like Genesis was/were having fun, & I guess the concept was “us making a video of before we make the real video.” For some reason those two vids reminded me of each other & I wished the SS vid had been candid like Genesis’.

Tina’s Better Be Good to Me----out before Secret Sep, of course, but I first saw it in summer ’86. I recognized JWO and thought “huh?”, then, there was Cy! I was so surprised, missed the rest of it b/c I ran out of the room to get my sister. That vid got shown a lot for a see-Tina-in-Germany contest on MTV.

Thank God for Youtube. It'd be great to get a video or more with the new CD.

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

I personally don't like most of the Fixx videos. I think they could of done better. Never saw Built For the Future...I think the only one I have not seen. I liked Secret Separation at the time, but looking at it now..not so much...mainly because the guys (especially Cy) look like they spent hours in the makeup studio. I'ts ok visually but boring at the same time. It was my favorite at the time. I guess if I had to pick a classic it would be Our We OurSelves....that is their best video. The remake Red Skies Video is good and so is Touch.

yeah, SSEp was a great song, but the tempo of that song was not a great one to do a "play along with the song video" (yawn) i still love to see the guys get some airplay regardless....

that might have been the chance to have some story line about the secret romance of something??? Maybe a spy in love with a SS or KGB agent....

all depends on whos making the video and their own idea or concept.....
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

This one got me out of lurking mode...
    Videos -- did anyone ever see The Fixx on MTV, not know who they were, then come back and see it again and react with the "hey I like that song" effect? That's what happened w/Stand or Fall -- cool video, didn't pay as much attention to the song first look, but then the 2nd look, really liked the music even more than the video.
    I didn't buy the album (didn't have the $ as a youngster), then suddenly OTLTA hits the air, and I see the video, and realize that I'd better start buying The Fixx albums, save my small change, and my collection of Fixx tunes goes from there...
    Okay, but you wanted a rating, hard to number them but...
    1. Saved by Zero (yes, I didn't mention it, but it was haunting back then)
    2. Stand or Fall
    3. OTLTA
    BM
    I've been lurking...