Thread: Cy's new album Tabula Rasa

Cy's new album Tabula Rasa

Ok, how come there has been no mention whatsoever about Cy's new disc? Does anyone know anything about this? I know Cy mentioned something about a new solo disc, but that's about it really. I realize their focus right now is on the new Fixx album, which i suspect is going to be freakin' amazing! Just wondering is all.
    Tatawayowayo

Are there any news about Cy's solo release?

Well, kinda. It's not news, news. When there is that, there will definitely be official posts for it.

I don't think Cy would mind me sharing the following. He is always happy when people are interested in finding out what he's making -- it's you guys who are the evangelists for the music, passing along the good vibes and turning your friends into fans.

I have spoken with Cy twice this week, with the new album as the main topic. While once upon a time we had hoped he would have something ready for release this month, he had some professional distractions and some more songs to prepare, so that didn't happen. Now, he seems to have the tracks locked down. We are now discussing late September, maybe Oct. 1st. Sorry it's not sooner, but with Fixx gigs and solo gigs and sheep and all, well, time is at a premium. As anxious as he is to share this music with everyone, he won't rush the important stuff.

We hope to have the pre-order up in the next couple of weeks - I think it will be worth the wait as it may piggyback on something else interesting, which I will keep under my hat. The pre-order will cost a little more this time. Honestly, having researched this sort of activity with other artists doing it, the fee wasn't on par with others. That being said, there will be multiple tiers with different offerings this time - which will be kind of fun and enable lots of people to participate, no matter how much pocket money they might have. Pre-orders are really important. They help to fund a lot of efforts around getting the record out -- not just manufacturing (but that can be a big part).

I have been privileged to hear many of the songs in various states of production and I am very excited. It's eclectic, unpredictable and...listenable. It's also much more upbeat than the last record. Cy really wants to get positivity going out there.

The title might be changing. You know Cy...never standing still. Always new ideas. He is excited to get this music out to everyone -- so he can get to work on new music! Anyway, when I know, you'll know ;-)

I would like to put this message out there. Now is the time Cy and I discuss strategies for release of the record. It's hard. If you are a true indie artist like Cy is, there is no easy path to success. The business is ever-changing.

Do keep me posted on where you discover new music. If there are critics you respect, let me know who they are so we can look into contacting them in advance. Also, if any of you have contacts who might be able to promote the release of the record, let us know. It takes a village, right? And your good karma is greatly appreciated.

x
    Lisa

1000 Thanks Lisa!

That is an detailed update. So many news about the current situation...

Looking forward to it and thinking about how my good karma could be kind of help...

Originally posted by musegirl

Do keep me posted on where you discover new music. If there are critics you respect, let me know who they are so we can look into contacting them in advance. Also, if any of you have contacts who might be able to promote the release of the record, let us know. It takes a village, right? And your good karma is greatly appreciated.

x
    Well, it may not be the favored thing to do, but I discovered Zee Avi from the Starbucks Tuesday freebee thing and then of course there's YouTube...
    mostly harmless, mostly into cats

Lisa, how about the iTunes single of the week? Over in the UK, if you could get Cy on 6 Music I think that'd really work for him - maybe email his information to the Radcliffe and Maconie show:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0100rp6

Thanks for the constructive suggestions, Paula.

The free iTunes download has been a topic of great consternation for me, as I actually check the free downloads every week. Most of them are really terrible, with occasional rare exceptions. That's not just me talking. The reviews are almost always scathing, so other people agree with me. So, I figure, they must be desperate for good material, right? Since 2007, I have tried to get Cy on there. I connected with someone very high up at iTunes for RS and another great person at our iTunes distributor, Tunecore, also tried to help on SM. I have no idea what the magic words are to make it happen.

That doesn't mean I won't try again for this next album. The challenge though is coordination. You have to pitch the song (preferably an exclusive track) to them in advance of your release and fill out a form that states your requested date. There are a crazy number of variables that can affect the record being ready, particularly if you are doing a simultaneous physical and digital release, so picking a date in advance is a huge gamble. But even if you are ready with your distribution and you pick the right song, who knows? They feature several free downloads a week...I imagine they look to create some sort of variety with the sets, so if you don't fit the grouping that week you asked for, argh. And Lord help you if Beyonce or Justin Bieber decide they want to give away a free download that week - I imagine people get bumped constantly. So, this is the grail for me. Has been for a long time. Not giving up. Trying to get smarter each time. Third time might be the charm. ;-)

All of the big free download situations, whether they be iTunes, Amazon or Starbucks are incredibly difficult connect with. So are the cooler indie internet radio stations like KEXP. Their decisionmakers are pretty powerful and are well-shielded from the desperate musicians who are trying to get anointed by them. Unless you are a musician getting booked at Bonnaroo or Coachella or SXSW, or getting placed on a TV show or movie soundtrack, it's very difficult to get noticed. We'll keep at it though. Cy is special and a standout person. I have to believe that he will eventually cut through the noise...

I will look into your BBC 6 recommendations. Honestly though, whilst he is beloved amongst us here in the US and a cracking good chat guest, he isn't a name celebrity over there. It would likely take a special favor for a presenter to give him a shot. But you never know until you ask. So, we will. Thanks again! xo
    Lisa