Thread: Frickin sweet CDs!

Frickin sweet CDs!

Sedated in the Eighties, No. 4

Most '80s compliations re-hash the same ol' junk; not this one. Lots of esoterica here, like Pharoahs by TFF. Of course, The Fixx is here. Matter of fact, I wish there were radio stations that specialized in b-sides... Anyway, just wanted to bring this series to your attention. Haven't checked out the rest of the volumes, but this one gets good reviews.

1. Hanging On The Telephone (Live) - Blondie
    2. Why Is It So Hard? - Talk Talk
    3. Passion Planet - Thompson Twins
    4. Trading In Gold - China Crisis
    5. I'M The One - Missing Persons

***6. Sense The Adventure - The Fixx***

7. Set The Killing Free - Aztec Camera
    8. Deeside (Live) - The Alarm
    9. Satellite - The Tubes
    10. Blue Period (Acoustic) - The Smithereens
    11. Killing Time - The Motels Listen
    12. Pharaohs - Tears For Fears Listen
    13. A Pleasure (Acoustic) - The Railway Children Listen
    14. Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want - The Dream Academy Listen
    15. Private Revolution (Extended Version) - World Party (bonus track) Listen
    16. No More Words (Dance Remix) - Berlin (bonus track) Listen

Cagey -
    I came out of lurking mode to respond to this one, as you made an intriguing suggestion reference a radio station that featured B-Sides.
    In this age of digital/per-song music, why isn't there an internet-based radio station that plays "anything" be it released singles or album-only tracks? Made me wonder - is there such a station out there, that filters nothing, doesn't hold any track back, but willing to play just about anything 24/7?
    In same vein, is there such a station by decade or genre, such as the several that The Fixx could fall into? I'm reaching back into deep cuts far more often than the released singles for most all bands of the 60s-90s, especially my youth 80s timeframe.
    Just thoughts...
    BM
    I've been lurking...

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.

a long, long time ago

In the mid-to-late 80's I called & requested deep tracks (at least I thought they were). Our AOR station would play them. They already played Red Skies, One Thing, SBZ, Secret Separation, Are We Ourselves, Built for the Future as part of regular programming. But I never heard anything else unless it was requested. I requested Changing, Less Cities, and more and they'd play them. They would even play entire albums one night a week.

I don't think requests get played anymore, unless it's already in the program. There are "All Request Lunch" shows, but still not B-sides.

I remember a DJ was fired from our local pop station years ago for playing the same song over and over - I guess to make a point about repetition. It was funny, I think he played Run DMC Walk This Way for an hour straight. I hate that he got fired for it. That 'rebellion' is celebrated when it's part of the morning show- for comedy.

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

Originally posted by Beached Male
    Cagey -
    I came out of lurking mode to respond to this one, as you made an intriguing suggestion reference a radio station that featured B-Sides.
    In this age of digital/per-song music, why isn't there an internet-based radio station that plays "anything" be it released singles or album-only tracks? Made me wonder - is there such a station out there, that filters nothing, doesn't hold any track back, but willing to play just about anything 24/7?
    In same vein, is there such a station by decade or genre, such as the several that The Fixx could fall into? I'm reaching back into deep cuts far more often than the released singles for most all bands of the 60s-90s, especially my youth 80s timeframe.
    Just thoughts...
    BM
    Hey Beached,

It's always cool when people come to the surface out of lurker mode for awhile. If I remember right, you're the guy that got The Fixx to play Reach the Beach at one concert by request awhile back...?

My use for such a station would be to try and listen for obscure songs - the ones that are played and the DJ never gives the name On one vacation, I was humming the bars for days to an '80s classic, "Something something the kitchen," and never got it.

There are some internet stations around, but I don't know which would specialize in what we're looking for. Sometimes I look around here: http://www.windowsmedia.com/radioui/home.aspx

I don't think it's an uncommon complaint that most radio stations are Top 40 "format" or only play the best known. :\

P.S., 'Pirate Radio' is now in the $5 bin at Blockbuster now, enjoyed the he-- out of that flick, not necessarily related, but worth checking out.

P.P.S., Hi Cary!

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.
    Cagey-

what else do you remember about the song? Any other lyrics? Artist male or female? Remind you of another song or artist?

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

Hmm.. it was a long time ago. Sounded maybe like Midnight Oil. Something about maybe Courting in the Kitchen? But it definitely was not the popular Irish song. It was a male tenor, Brit or Aussie, telling a long story about a lot of things that were happening in someone's house. Doubt that will ring a bell, but I have been known to go to great lengths to get help with a song, including calling Tony Macrini and singing a few bars of stuff on the air :P hehe.