Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Friction

Quote Originally Posted by shoeman View Post
    Played the album for my Mom.

She doesn't like the vocals.
    Did my best to promote them, straining mightily.

He He. My wife says she doesn't like Cy's "bellowing", whatever that means.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy

fantastic

Picked up Beautiful Friction yesterday - wow - the boys have done a wonderful job. This latest album is so good.

Shaman is my favorite song right now - I am wearing out the CD at home and in the car.

I am also going to the show next tuesday at the Hardrock - I haven't seen the Fixx live since 1983! I cannot wait!

Quote Originally Posted by stephentayler View Post
    So I am still waiting for my CD copy, would you believe?

I have finally been sent the Mark Needham mix of JBD to listen to. It's really very good! It is much more 'radio' than the mix I did.

My original mix was (I think, anyway!) a little sexier, and much more psychedelic, but then what do I know!!!

But Mark's mixes kick the album off wonderfully!!

SWT - watching my letterbox in anticipation..............
    At last got my CDs, been listening in the car, very happy!

The US CD and iTunes actually have my mix of JBD - Mark's version is the Radio version.

I gather Mark's will be used for the European release.

SWT

Cool Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by cjelephant View Post
    Picked up Beautiful Friction yesterday - wow - the boys have done a wonderful job. This latest album is so good.

Shaman is my favorite song right now - I am wearing out the CD at home and in the car.

I am also going to the show next tuesday at the Hardrock - I haven't seen the Fixx live since 1983! I cannot wait!
    Shaman is also my favorite. The first night I had it, I downloaded to
    my ipod and locked Shaman in repeat mode , listened to it at least
    30 times.

"your amour is love"
    Michael

Cool I guess I'll be buying the European version too

At last got my CDs, been listening in the car, very happy!

The US CD and iTunes actually have my mix of JBD - Mark's version is the Radio version.

I gather Mark's will be used for the European release.

SWT
    I really like your version, but I'll want Mark's too, so I guess I'll have to buy the European version, to have his. Is it confirmed that it will
    be Mark's mix?

"your amour is love"
    Michael

Has anyone posted this review? They got a great review here:

http://www.popculturebeast.com/2012/...iction-cd.html

Quote Originally Posted by firstnovaprime View Post
    I really like your version, but I'll want Mark's too, so I guess I'll have to buy the European version, to have his. Is it confirmed that it will
    be Mark's mix?

"your amour is love"
    Michael
    I personally can't confirm it, it's what I have been told. I recommend waiting until 17th and previewing the track on the UK iTunes. I'll be checking for myself anyway!

SWT

Cool will do

I personally can't confirm it, it's what I have been told. I recommend waiting until 17th and previewing the track on the UK iTunes. I'll be checking for myself anyway!

SWT
    thanks Stephen, for the info and the recommend, never even thought
    about that.

"your amour is love"
    Michael

Got the new album over a week ago through Amazon and I love it!!!! So far my favorite song is easily "Just Before Dawn". "Follow that Cab" is a close second...for now. Truly listening to this cd over and over again. Another great job from our guys!!!!! Now if I can just get them to stop in the Phoenix area for a night.

Beached again...

I have not yet reviewed nor shared my opinion of Beautiful Friction here, as I am still living in a slower and less connected life in my new home in the Sandwich Islands. When I received my Beautiful Friction CD recently from a well-known book seller, I decided to have a different venue to test it out - in my convertible with the top down. Was a great experience, seeing the scenery of a tropical paradise (okay, not always, we have highways and traffic jams too), but overall quite a lovely way to be reintroduced to the band.

Reminds me of old days and slower times, where friends gathered to listen to an album - the whole album, and the TV wasn't on, no video games, no distractions, but only some small thoughts and comments as the songs went along. If I ever do venture out and catch another concert one day, hopefully a group will get together and do just this- listen to albums in some quaint place off a side street somewhere. Of course - I won't complain if someone has a sound room with a professional rig available for some serious audiophile candy.

Well, even if the album wasn't heard by many others as I drove along, there are a few more palm trees who have heard The Fixx (and perhaps a sea turtle or two...).
    BM

p.s. I have no favorite song...I just listen to the album.
    I've been lurking...

Wow. Sandwich Islands. I hope you are taking some photos to share with us, BM!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the album as a whole too. I recall that Phantoms was an album that I enjoyed listening to from start to finish - although back in those days I had to stop and flip the record over. I am enjoying Beautiful Friction throughout in the car too. Of course, some songs make me speed faster than others...
    Lisa

Great Album

I love Beautiful Friction and have been listening to it over and over since it came out. I bought the CD from Amazon, and also downloaded the album from Amazon (I wanted to buy two copies instead of just ripping it, and I can listen to it anywhere). They got everything right on this one, it was worth the wait. I think it is great to see that several people have listed favorite songs that are different than other peoples favorite songs, it really shows the quality of the album and the band. All of the new songs sounded great live - I saw them in Rochester, MN two nights ago. I also look forward to the next tour and hope they play Shaman and Follow That Cab - those are two of my favorites on the album. My favorite lyric from the album is taken from 'What God?' - 'Save me from the things I want.' I think Cy's message over the years has been to simplify your life, and it will set you free. It is better to focus on people and relationships than on things we buy or want to buy.

Congratulations to The Fixx, Nick Jackson, Stephen W. Tayler, and all involved. You have created a masterpiece! Thank you for making this album.

Beautiful Friction Review... FINALLY!!

Beautiful Friction

Okay...my review is shamefully overdue....now that I am in week four of continuously listening to Beautiful Friction, thanks to the generosity of 1002.. Owe ya big, JB!!

I am trying to stretch beyond what others have said and come up with some fresh perspective. Though I am not sure that I will succeed. But here I go...

Musically....

I agree that I hear tidbits of Phantoms and Calm Animals through out the CD. But I think that this CD is so aggressively different from either of those CD's that it is almost unfair to compare. And it is almost impossible to single out a musical influence or time line. From the psychedelic sound of Just before Dawn and Girl with no Ceiling to the soft moodiness of Small Thoughts and on to the hard rocking edge of What God and Anyone else. There is s a bit of something for everyone here, but the mix flows in and out like the tide ...in perfect harmony. I honestly do not think there is one song that disappoints. I agree with what many others have said... this is their best CD in 21 years.

My personal favorites are What God, Just Before Dawn, Beautiful Friction, Second Time Around, Follow that Cab and Something Ahead of you... in no particular order.

The contribution from all members is very prominent...it is hard to single out where one musical instrument or member is shinning through over another...but if I had to pick one, I would say it was Adam's drums. They really stood out to me in this CD, where before they were always an after thought behind Jamie and Rupert. They were so clean, and punchy, I felt like I was in the room with him. It is also so good to have Dan back. Not that I would want to discredit the other bass players on previous CD's.. I just feel like it is “kismet” to have Dan back.. a homecoming that completes the family circle... he was sorely missed. Welcome back, Dan.

Lyrically....

Cy is the one poet/songwriter( well... actually... as Yoda would say...”There is another”.......) that can capture my imagination, my heart,and my soul with his ability to pull me in so visually with his words, that I feel like I have become part of the story.

“ Something Ahead of You” is the one song that stands out to me in this avenue...The picture that was created in my mind is all too familiar....like a movie that we have seen one too many times....where we hope the ending will be different, but we know in our hearts there was no other way to end this scene....the pain and the emotion of letting go of that one failed relationship that we thought would last forever.. and accepting that our lives will be different from what we once visualized with this person.

Lyrically, this CD has covered an array of emotions...some deeply personal..from loss to hope... to the anger and injustice of intolerance to the acceptance of our differences....once again, coming full circle and bringing into sight that there are two side to every coin in personal, religious or political views. And if we could step back with love, ...seek first to understand... then seek to be understood...this world and those we share it with may just end up being a more tranquil place.

The reason why I have loved the Fixx from that fateful day I heard Stand or Fall 30 years ago... is the they are a "thinking mans band"... and they are not just putting out something that they think is going to sound good to that masses to “get your grove thing on”.

They have always stood for what they believed in with conviction...popular vote or not... and have been willing to fall for that belief.....and will forever have my admiration in that aspect, both as artists and as people that I have had the pleasure to know.

I can not imagine that this CD has disappointed any long time Fixx fan...and will pull in a whole new range of listeners and I will close with a “ well done” … it is an amazing piece of work that was worth the journey of waiting a decade.

Jeanne

Last edited by Jeanne Thelen; 08-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Quote Originally Posted by dave romfoe View Post
    i love beautiful friction and have been listening to it over and over since it came out. I bought the cd from amazon, and also downloaded the album from amazon (i wanted to buy two copies instead of just ripping it, and i can listen to it anywhere). They got everything right on this one, it was worth the wait. I think it is great to see that several people have listed favorite songs that are different than other peoples favorite songs, it really shows the quality of the album and the band. All of the new songs sounded great live - i saw them in rochester, mn two nights ago. I also look forward to the next tour and hope they play shaman and follow that cab - those are two of my favorites on the album. My favorite lyric from the album is taken from 'what god?' - 'save me from the things i want.' i think cy's message over the years has been to simplify your life, and it will set you free. It is better to focus on people and relationships than on things we buy or want to buy.

Congratulations to the fixx, nick jackson, stephen w. Tayler, and all involved. You have created a masterpiece! Thank you for making this album.
    miss you and deja... My fixx traveling buddies......
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Long time no speak
    Jenanne where do you call home now?
    We'll know for the first time
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast