Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Friction

After well over 15 spins I've got some faves sorted out

Girl With No Ceiling - Its all about the melody on this one folks.

Beautiful Friction - Deeply rooted with Shuttered Room, Phantoms, Ink, & Want That Life foundations. Besides, its pretty as they get.

What God? - With a heartbeat like an anxious patient with premature ventricular contractions this one rocks my world. Oh and those suppressed chants . . . like a monk choir in a distant European cathedral. Is that from Rupert's keys or is it the boys' voices with some effects added? Or is it even there at all? Am I just hearing what I want to hear? In any case, it works for me

I've been listening to the album pretty much non-stop, and it's incredibly strong throughout. "Anyone Else" is my favorite track. It's become a personal anthem of sorts for me lately.

"Shaman" also grabs me, as does the title track, "Girl with No Ceiling", "What God" and... well, as I'm looking down the tracklist, I can honestly say I like them all.

If I were viewing them from the standpoint of commercial appeal or potential singles (even though these days singles are not as prominent as they were back in the day), I'd probably release them in this order:

1 - Anyone Else. Obviously most commercial track, perfect first single and opener to the record.
    2 - Girl with No Ceiling. This one is trickier, but I'd go with Girl with No Ceiling as the 2nd single. The verse has that trademark 80s-style Fixx guitar vibe, and the chorus is lovely and dreamy.
    3 - Just Before Dawn. This one is a grower. I could see a beautiful video for this. Beautiful melodic hook between the verses. Love how this track builds in intensity.

The production work on this album is top-notch. Absolutely stellar. "Anyone Else" sounds absolutely powerful when blasted on big club speakers. And listening to the title track in my music room w/ speakers all around... totally blown away by the electronic "dream" sequence starting at about 2:51. Utterly gorgeous, just the right touch.

I haven't even really delved much into the lyrics yet - just sorta been playing it on repeat letting it sink in. Can't wait to hear some of these tracks translated in a live setting!

Brilliant return for one of my favorite bands, couldn't be more thrilled.

hey should send Just before Dawn to True Blood.... right as the episode ends and leaves you with a cliffhanger, it goes right into some song that is related to the theme of the episode...

vampires at work..... "Just before dawn"

; P

d3
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    I've been listening to the album pretty much non-stop, and it's incredibly strong throughout. "Anyone Else" is my favorite track. It's become a personal anthem of sorts for me lately.

"Shaman" also grabs me, as does the title track, "Girl with No Ceiling", "What God" and... well, as I'm looking down the tracklist, I can honestly say I like them all.

If I were viewing them from the standpoint of commercial appeal or potential singles (even though these days singles are not as prominent as they were back in the day), I'd probably release them in this order:

1 - Anyone Else. Obviously most commercial track, perfect first single and opener to the record.
    2 - Girl with No Ceiling. This one is trickier, but I'd go with Girl with No Ceiling as the 2nd single. The verse has that trademark 80s-style Fixx guitar vibe, and the chorus is lovely and dreamy.
    3 - Just Before Dawn. This one is a grower. I could see a beautiful video for this. Beautiful melodic hook between the verses. Love how this track builds in intensity.

The production work on this album is top-notch. Absolutely stellar. "Anyone Else" sounds absolutely powerful when blasted on big club speakers. And listening to the title track in my music room w/ speakers all around... totally blown away by the electronic "dream" sequence starting at about 2:51. Utterly gorgeous, just the right touch.

I haven't even really delved much into the lyrics yet - just sorta been playing it on repeat letting it sink in. Can't wait to hear some of these tracks translated in a live setting!

Brilliant return for one of my favorite bands, couldn't be more thrilled.

OK I've got to revise this after this morning. I finally really 'got' "Shaman". You know how sometimes a song just clicks in your head? That happened to me this morning with "Shaman". I think I listened to it 6 times on my morning commute. Has a great hook, fantastic track. Sounds very "Calm Animals" to me. If there is a 2nd single (and I hope there is), then I could totally see it being "Shaman".

Wasted

I didn't know the song "Wasted" is available only on iTunes. If you're not a member, you miss out on that song.

Who has downloaded it? How is it?

Quote Originally Posted by dejapete View Post
    I didn't know the song "Wasted" is available only on iTunes. If you're not a member, you miss out on that song.

Spectacular! you' ll kick yourself in the *ss for not getting it already-

It's quirky, uplifting and simple- i think the biggest pleasant surprise on the BF album....

yes- less is more!!!!

d3

Quote Originally Posted by dejapete View Post

I like it - a straightforward upbeat rocker, but I can sorta see why it was left as a bonus track. There is definitely nothing on the album that I would remove to make room for it, but still.. it's a cool song.

I miss the era of b-sides!

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    I like it - a straightforward upbeat rocker, but I can sorta see why it was left as a bonus track. There is definitely nothing on the album that I would remove to make room for it, but still.. it's a cool song.

I miss the era of b-sides!
    that shoulda been the HIDDEN song like the walkabout cd featured..... minute of silence and BLAM extra hidden surprise song!

If only!

<>D#3

There was a problem with those 'ghost' tracks that we had so much fun with..... unfortunately they did not register as a separate title, so - no royalties.

They are fun for a bit of a freebie, or as an 'easter egg' but most artists would not give away a precious track for nothing. I think with one artist we left a 20 minute gap!!!

SWT

So I am still waiting for my CD copy, would you believe?

I have finally been sent the Mark Needham mix of JBD to listen to. It's really very good! It is much more 'radio' than the mix I did.

My original mix was (I think, anyway!) a little sexier, and much more psychedelic, but then what do I know!!!

But Mark's mixes kick the album off wonderfully!!

SWT - watching my letterbox in anticipation..............

What a great album! Quality, variety, and, oh by the way, have the backing vocals ever been better?

Picking favorites here is kind of like asking, well , do you like chocolate or champagne better? That said, my top three picks are:

1. “What God?” – Cy’s soaring vocals, and what a great lyric “to be told time and time again paradise is just a destination”.

2. “Follow That Cab” – Love the urgency.

3. “Shaman” – Jamie’s guitar chimes makes this a Fixx classic.

Special mention for “Second Time Around”. This song is very addictive.

Well done! Can’t wait for the Seattle gig on Monday.

Mike

What God

I don't know if I can really know what the Fixx had in mind with this song, but I have some ideas of my own. To me, it's a jab at organized religion and the misconceptions we have of God.

"What god does God believe in?" Isn't he above all we can conceive God to be?
    "What god matters to me?" Is it one who gives me what I want? Or is it one who gives me what I need?

I like the use of "Gimme Gimme" in the chorus. I came a across a guy the other day. All he does is ask for things, "Give me your bicycle. Give me a cigarette. Give me your cell phone." He's a bit wacko, but it made me think, "Is that how we sound to God when we pray?" "Give us this day our daily bread", I think, is meant to be a prayer for what we really need. But we're already rich. What do we really need?

I think the song also addresses religion of hate and judgement. It seems to me, in these times, religion is being used for political ends to divide and conquer. After all, who can disagree with "morality". Well, be careful how you judge. And be careful of the endgame you or the bandwagon you joined is subscribing to.

This is a four beer post, so be gentle.

For those of us who purchased the digital version of "Beautiful Friction" (and I've also pre-ordered the vinyl), is there any place that has accurate lyrics for the album? The only place I found for "Shaman" on Google does not appear to be accurate (at least, based on what I'm hearing)

Girl With No Ceiling

[QUOTE=Steve Pariseau;77444]Girl With No Ceiling - Its all about the melody on this one folks.
    QUOTE]

If a second single gets released on this CD, my vote is for Girl With No Ceiling. My wife is a casual fan, and she and I listened to the CD twice so she could be familiar with the material for the upcoming Skokie show. She likes this track the most. Very catchy song...melody, guitar riff, fast keyboard sequence in the middle, soaring vocals...it's great.

Played the album for my Mom.
    With the exception of Track#3.

Her fave is Just B4 Dawn.
    Second Time Around is a distant, uh....second.

She doesn't like the vocals.
    Did my best to promote them, straining mightily.

What Mom does like is the instrumentation, esp. Roop's work.
    A pretty fair musician in her day, she played piano.

Just trying to convert a family member....

I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast