Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Friction

Hello Box3, Heimo is a very distinguished member of this forum.

He resides in Berlin and is a true gentleman.
    I'm sure others will be happy to confirm this....

Can't think of "Anyone Else" from Germany at the moment.
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Hi shoeman

I mean, that I hope to see germans here in the Forum. In Germany I have problems to get FixxCDs (Like the 25Years issue) I come back in this forum after years and the Fixx are on the top of my favourite groups.

Thanks for info
    Best
    Xximo
    Xximo

Welcome back, Rolf :-) Always good to hear about fans from all over the world.

Were you actually able to purchase the Beautiful Friction CD already? I didn't think it was being released in Europe until August...

Best,
    Lisa
    Lisa

Hi Lisa

Hi musegirl

yeah, I remember you, thanks for the words. The Fixx are everytime in my car, in my head, archiv with all CD and Vinyl and on my stereo in the livingroom...

To your question I got the CD by my CD Dealer. He tell me, there are two copies in the moment. The price ist 16,99 Euro.
    I give you the internetadress : it is XXX.jpc.de...X for W. You can choose the site in English.
    If you want I can buy it for you

Hope you get the Friction CD.
    And I think, I must make holiday in USA to see the Fixx befor I reach the 65 in a lot of years.

All the best to you from cologne in germany..I hope my english is well

Rolf Ximo
    Xximo

Hey Rolf: We just added a new member from Germany.

The username is "lambik."

And the location is Kuerten, Germany.

John

Hi Rolf, thanks for your posts, especially as you are the first of us to be able to buy Beautiful Friction! Shoeman is right, Heimo is usually very active on here so hopefully you will connect with him
    Take care, Gretchen

re John and gretchen

Hi John and Gretchen

thanks for Info. Kuerten is in the near of Cologne. Maybe lambik say aword.....

Gretchen..what a german name...I said to musegirl. That I can order the friction CD or you can order it by xxx.jpc.de in germany.

I wonder, that I got the CD so early. In Germany there was the first date of the CD in July. I have ordered 1 month befor. Now it is the 17.of august.

My favourites are Beautiful Friction and Just before dawn. Fixx old school...

best
    Rolf ximo
    Xximo

Amazon's tracking is showing that my pre-order will be waiting for me when I get home from work. One day early, woo hoo! I'll post a review later this week, after several listens!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tenohtwo View Post
    Amazon's tracking is showing that my pre-order will be waiting for me when I get home from work. One day early, woo hoo! I'll post a review later this week, after several listens!

Please do post a review asap! I was going back and forward between ordering an import copy (price kept going up) or waiting for the UK release but I've gone with the import now since I JUST CAN'T WAIT!! Hope it arrives soon.
    The world will always turn, with or without your point of view...

FYE opens at 10AM CDT tomorrow, 2012-7-17.

Or is it 9AM?....

In greedy anticipation, rubbing my hands together.
    And by doing so, creating some...uh....Byutiful Fwiction.

Early review of Beautiful Friction

I'm basically on the second spin of the new album, and want to listen a few more times to let some of the songs soak in a bit. I'll try not to 'spoil' your first listen (if that's even possible), but my initial reaction is that this is their best album since Ink. The band sounds re-energized, and Cy's voice is in top form, probably his best vocal performance in 20+ years. I feel there are many 'flashback' moments on the album. There are rhythms and moods reminiscent of Shuttered Room, the experimental, quirkier aspects of Phantoms, and the hard-rocking edge present on Calm Animals (including the sonic cousin to "Gypsy Feet", you'll hear it too). It's definitely far from a 'throwback' album - there is plenty of modern musical stylings and production present - but the band has managed to embrace their past and present throughout the album. There are a few moments where you will find yourself in a trance with the looping, swelling drums and Rupert's arp-driven synths and signature vocoder sounds.

While I really don't have a problem with Want That Life, that album has about half the energy of Beautiful Friction. Elemental and WTL definitely exhibited the band in a slower, more mellow style overall, save a few rockers. Beautiful Friction comes off as the band 'unleashing' itself with a near-decade of built up aggression, and definitely a lot to say. Lyrically, Cy has penned some very strong lyrics, both on the political and emotional front. The lyrics are definitely ripe for interpretation I won't list any 'favorites' or 'highlights', because I don't want you to get in your head that my favorite songs are the only good ones. Decide for yourself what you like, there's favorites for every kind of Fixx fan here.

Lastly, a few kudos to the band:

THANK YOU Dan K. Brown for returning to lineup. Your bass lines have been sorely missed, and are one of my personal highlights on the new LP. I know it's been a few years since you returned, but again, welcome back!

THANK YOU for using the old logo and George Underwood art again. I was really worried we were going to see the green "Chia Fixx" logo on the next album. Thanks for the visual nod to your past on both counts.

THANK YOU for not letting your album fall victim to the Loudness Wars. While there are a few moments of audible compression and limiting on a few songs, I am very happy with the mastering of this album. One of the best features on the overall mix of this album is Adam Woods' drums. They are clear, punchy, and strong, and do not suffer from the mastering at all. So many good bands these days get their new albums ruined just by the mastering process..it's pretty sad. You are clearly working with some knowledgeable folks in the studio. Thanks for not letting your album get smashed against the wall! :P

I'm now revisiting random tracks, listening to the 'growers', and cranking the favorites. Jeanne Thelen is here with me for our own Fixxture listening party in Studio B at my casa!

I'll probably post my favorites in a few days, after everyone can listen and discuss. But, in closing, awesome record!

Nicely done, 1002.

Even the BF snippets gave me the same conclusion you have regarding WTL.
    Look forward to more notes from you.

And I'll do much "soaking-in" as well.

See ya on the flip side....

STILL stuck in the water slide at the Vegas Hard Rock pool...

Uncloaking for a moment...

...to say I hope all are well and I can't wait to hear Beautiful Friction. I love the Anyone Else video - strongly support the message of standing and speaking out against intolerance. It's great to see a good number of positive reviews for BF and hoping it will help build some big buzz for the band.

I hope you all enjoy getting to know the new music, and will see some of you at Santa Cruz (and over on FB.)

All the best,
    Bash
    web site | blog | photos | Twitter (primary)
    ----
    "And the Vino di Vici will flow like a river in spring,
    Now the fix(x), the fix(x) is in." - Elbow

LIVE.... From Studio B

Just finished listening to the CD ... I believe for the third time tonight with 1002 in Studio B ....stunned, amazed and in awe by the shear brilliance so far...I will write more later...when I have the chance to listen to the Cd a few more times... letting it absorb into my heart and soul... I will say just for a quick note.. that it does not disappoint.... I agree with 1002...best album in 21 years...and the tribute to our beloved Roger in the liner notes was touching.. brought tears to my eyes for our dear friend.

Going to listen to it as drift off to dreamland tonight for guaranteed sweet dreams....See you on the flip side

Jeanne
    You pass like the moon in silence
    In the warm flooded air
    Looking back to those lost opportunities
    So often missed or ignored
    A thousand times I start heading for the dawn
    Only to turn around and face this rue once more
    There 's something ahead of you
    Cy Curnin

Don't die, with your music still inside of you.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast