Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "ANYONE ELSE" Video

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond05 View Post
    whats not to like on the new song Izzo ? im sure you must not be having a good day..... dont worry the WHOLE cd comes out tomorrow! : )
    Just don't care for the song. I will have to listen to the whole CD.
    In the meantime here's some Stooges for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsV24SpIK3c
    We'll know for the first time
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line

Hey Bandit: that was user error: MY error. I inadvertantly hit edit on your post, instead of reply to your post. My sincerest apologies.

May I quote the great Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".

In this case, my stupidity! :-)

-jeff

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    No, I didn't delete it or alter it.

Evidently, however, the moderator did. It's unacceptable - I am done with this forum.

BTW, here is what I posted, that was somehow altered above.

It's not really a "hot-button issue" to me; it's just reality. I just saw the video for the first time and absolutely love it. Was delighted to see the positive gay message included. I'm a gay man and actually today is the 3rd wedding anniversary for me and my husband. We celebrated with a fantastic dinner out, and now i'm relaxing with some music. It does matter to me and others seeing support and images such as this by a band who did not have to weigh in, but they obviously felt compelled to. I respect and love The Fixx even more.

Cannot wait for the new album tomorrow !! Doing my best to promote it in my little corner of the world.

Huffington Post Link

[QUOTE=FIXX OFFICIAL;77180]The Huffington Post will premiere the video on its site www.huffingtonpost.com
    QUOTE]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristi...b_1676382.html

This was on the Entertainment page of the site:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entertainment/

I think the video is right on target. Too much of this in the world we live. We need to come together as humanity. Too much hate in this world. I do wish we'd see the band in the video though. Great song.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Pupmunchkin, I agree with your position on LGTB issues, but I have to say that you are being rather harsh towards shoeman, specifically you've been putting words in his mouth, such as your statement that he was implying that (most) child abusers are gay. He did not say that - you might go back and re-read his post. There are a couple other things there as well where it appears you misread what he wrote.

I suggest that instead of assuming what he might be implying, ask him if you are't sure.

As for truth: when it comes to these hot-button issues, it shouldn't be surprising that each "side" thinks it has a lock on the truth. Ask someone who is against abortion, and they'll say that it's the killing of an unborn child and that it's morally wrong; they are absolutely positive that they know that to be the truth. And the other side feels the same way. Same with homosexuality.

These are classic hot-button issues - people are dug in really deep on these and a few paragraphs of back and forth on a music forum won't do anything but get people pissed off at each other.

If you truly want to have a serious and thoughtful conversation about this, I suggest taking it to Sign Of Fire and CALMLY try and explain why you believe what you believe to each other. Even then, it's probably worth putting on your flame-retardant suits. ;-)

-jeff

RE-Jeff

Excuse me, but NO, I'm not the one being harsh, nor will I accept being maligned or patronized by you or anyone else on this forum, when my intent was merely to educate those who are willfully ignorant. Perhaps you need to re-read my comments, or perhaps you have your own anti-whatever agenda, no doubt.
    Those who are intolerant of "choice," whether it is regarding an individual's sexuality, or a woman's reproductive rights, etc., are clearly the ones who are being intolerant or, "harsh" as you claim.
    We are in a war in this country--(the US)-- a war imposed by those who desire nothing more than to ELIMINATE the hard won rights of others they disagree with.
    "Hot button issues??" Please do not try to attempt the "both sides are the same bullshit" equivalency argument.
    Do you think it might be an "issue" if you are LGBT, and cannot marry, or denied equal rights under the current state laws-- or perhaps you are a woman living in a state that has passed anti-choice abortion legislation, and you are facing an unwanted or non-viable pregnancy--or your health is jeopardized by pregnancy, etc., and you and your physician are harassed by conservative state legislatures, unable to exercise a Constitutional right--(instead of the GOP House legislating help for the unemployed for example, as promised--yet they are still attacking civil & privacy rights, etc., what a surprise.)
    The ISSUE is about those individuals who are willing to fight for their full rights as human beings. That is the only "hot-button," issue I'm aware of. And this thread became it's own self actualized "sign-of-fire" at it's inception--it was the "Anyone Else" vid/song that inspired the LGBT debate did it not?
    To repeat: It is too difficult for far too many individuals to accept the fact that it is not acceptable to control the behavior of others based on ideologically ignorant and bigoted misinformation--usually of a conservative religious nature.
    From my experience reading certain posts, Shoeman has a history of intolerance and bigotry. Why you are defending him is questionable at the very least.

Also, I have no further use for the Fixx blog. There are far better venues to expend my free time and energy, which is miniscule.

This is part of what Shoeman said.
    Quote:
    "Someone else set fire to a gay congregation in my locality.
    Again: zero tolerance, though I oppose the life-style. But completely without hate."

I'll say it again--The issue is that being gay is not a "lifestyle." It is a biological fact, not a choice that an individual makes regarding their sexuality. By claiming that there is no "hate," while tacitly opposing gay rights, is being completely disingenuous.
    It is those individuals who refuse to accept LGBT equality, refuse to denounce anti-gay bullying, and quietly accept the restriction of their civil rights, etc., that gives power to the bigotry so prevalent in this country as well as others-- (and it is usually based on conservative religious ideology.)

Cheers, Linda Jean--
    btw, my kids do not call me "bad-ass Mommy," for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by pupmunchkin View Post
    RE-Jeff

Excuse me, but NO, I'm not the one being harsh, nor will I accept being maligned or patronized by you or anyone else on this forum, when my intent was merely to educate those who are willfully ignorant. Perhaps you need to re-read my comments, or perhaps you have your own anti-whatever agenda, no doubt.
    Hi Linda,

(I've also replied to your PM).

Good lord, it would be hysterical if I had an anti-LGBT agenda. . I feel that your forcing me to state my position, which is not what this discussion should be about. But so be it.

I am completely, totally, pro-LGBT rights. I have more gay friends than you can shake a stick at. I'm pro gay marriage. I'm pro women's rights. I voted for Obama, and proud to have done so. I'm pro drug legalization. I'm pretty much pro-everything. Give everyone the right to do as they please with their body, with everyone and anything they want.

Your position is not my problem with your posts. I agree with everything you're saying. I just don't like you putting words in shoeman's mouth. And it's coming across as a personal attack. What I want is for you both to have a discussion.

We are always going to have people we disagree with in this (and every other) forum. You (and I) think that homosexuality is a biological truth. Others think it's a a choice, or "just a lifestyle", and is wrong.

I'm *not* asking for you to understand or condone his position. I'm asking for you to be civil. Please don't put words in people's mouth. Please don't tell people what they believe. And don't call them names. Don't call someone a bigot. Don't call someone intolerant. Even if they are. Same goes for "the other side" - I'd ask them not to call anyone a godless heathen who is going to hell.

-jeff

Well, as a gay guy. My view is, it's never been proven to be biological. Still waiting for real evidence. Which probably goes against every argument the LGBT community has ever made. My position is simple. It's nobody's bloody business what I do in my bedroom. I don't expect anyone to have a point of view on that, as I don't have a point of view on what they get up to in theirs. Same with love. It's nobody's business who I love, but mine. What I love about the video, is that it confronts this point bang on! Peace x

Quote Originally Posted by spaceroad View Post
    My position is simple. It's nobody's bloody business what I do in my bedroom.
    Hear hear! (or is it here here?)

Cheers,

-jeff

Language is a...thing. Loaded. Complicated. Misdirected. Misheard.

Tolerance.
    Acceptance.
    Love.

They are different things to me and these are my personal take.

"Tolerance" can take on a pejorative air. One tolerates trips to the dentist or an annoying neighbor. Decades ago, we were satisfied with tolerance as a sophisticated approach to life with people who were different than us.

"Acceptance" is better. This suggests an honest acknowledgment of differences, but with an overall positive intent to focus on understanding, without judgment. An advancement in our perceptions and respect of each other makes this possible.

"Love" trumps them all. I think it's what we strive for. An evolution in the way we interact with each other that takes us to a whole new level of care. It makes tolerance look downright lame.

I am not always successful at applying my goal to get to the "love" thing. I hope I keep getting better at it.

Just my 2 cents.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by musegirl View Post
    Language is a...thing. Loaded. Complicated. Misdirected. Misheard.
    "Love" trumps them all. I think it's what we strive for. An evolution in the way we interact with each other that takes us to a whole new level of care. It makes tolerance look downright lame. I am not always successful at applying my goal to get to the "love" thing. I hope I keep getting better at it.
    I love you Muse!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    I love you Muse!
    I love you too, Jeff!

How long have we known each other because of this crazy Fixx thing? 16 or 17 years? Ah, the power of music...when it isn't afraid of being meaningful.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by musegirl View Post
    I love you too, Jeff!

How long have we known each other because of this crazy Fixx thing? 16 or 17 years? Ah, the power of music...when it isn't afraid of being meaningful.
    I think I stared the mailing list in 1993 or '94, and you joined pretty early on, didn't you?

Times like this have me wishing Dr. Roger was still with us.

The epitome of Fixxture Love.

Yes?
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

lyrics

Thanks Nick, Jeff and Lisa for your most recent posts and insights!
    After watching the video and reading the posts on this thread, I found the lyrics to Anyone Else. As with almost all Fixx songs, to me they are poetry, and as such can be interpreted in various ways.

ANYONE ELSE
    LACK OF WORDS LACK OF REACH
    WORDS ARE WEAPONS WHEN THE POWERLESS SPEAK
    ITS A SMALL GAME WITH A BIG PRODUCTION
    A FOOLS PARADE OVERBLOWN
    WHEN WILL WE KNOW WHAT WE SHOULD SEEK
    FOR WHAT WEVE SOWN IS WHAT WELL REAP
    OPEN DOORS RANDOM KEYS
    WHEN WE FIND OURSELVES WHERE SHALL WE BE
    LITTLE KNOWLEDGE HEADLESS STATE
    A TICKING BOMB WHILE WE DEBATE
    FOR WHAT WEVE SOWN YOU KNOW WELL REAP
    A RUNNING MIND A HOWLING BANSHEE
    NO MORE A FUGITIVE THAN YOU OR I
    THE JEALOUS CURSED CRASHED AND BURNED
    THE UNACCOUNTABLE WAIT TO DIE
    FOR WHAT WEVE SOWN YOU KNOW WELL REAP
    WHEN WILL WE KNOW WHAT WE HAVE LOST
    FOR WHAT WEVE SEEN ITS FINAL COST
    I CAN ONLY BE MYSELF
    I CANT BE ANYONE ELSE BUT ME
    PLEASE DONT BE ANYONE ELSE FOR ME
    BE WHAT ONLY YOU CAN BE

Thanks for posting those, Gretchen. Fun to see them written out and experience them in a different way.

Shoeman, I couldn't agree more about the good Doctor. We toasted him in our chat the other night. I think he would have LOVED the record and, even more than that, all of the positive attention that the band is finally getting.

x
    Lisa

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast