Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recording Flaw? Anyone else hear it?

Recording Flaw? Anyone else hear it?

I bought two Cds from two different sites just to make sure but it is there on both. Around the 2:04 mark during "Take A Risk" there's quite a lot of distortion.. more than I think can be pinned on the intentional effect throughout the song. Maybe that's why it was missed? It lasts mostly 30 seconds but pops up here and there until the end of the song. Listen to the song at high volume and maybe you can hear what I hear. And no it's not my speakers distorting either as I tried it on different ones and it is still there. Anyone else hear it?

Do you mean that fuzz sound from the right speaker? It's gotta be intentional. There are multiple guitar tracks in the song, and I think it was added for effect. To me it's even more effective being introduced in the middle of the song. If we're lucky, Stephen will share some info.

Yes I heard it!

That would be the mega-fuzzy synth that comes in the verse at 2:04 doubling the riff.

Guitar half-left, bass centre, distorted synth half-right - fully intentional.

Stephen

Oh and I checked my original mix.... I haven't been sent a copy of the CD yet and so I couldn't check it, but any distortion you hear in the mixes is actually intentional...... on Take a Risk the voice is being pushed through a Decapitator (who knows what that might be?? )

Stephen

Anyway, you must be used to Greenall making weird noises by now!

Ooh. On "What God," I imagine Cy ventures inside a wardrobe full of coats each time to sing the chorus. It's much more cinematic than imagining a Decaptitator technical thingy, eh, Stephen?
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by stephentayler View Post
    Oh and I checked my original mix.... I haven't been sent a copy of the CD yet and so I couldn't check it, but any distortion you hear in the mixes is actually intentional...... on Take a Risk the voice is being pushed through a Decapitator (who knows what that might be?? )

Stephen
    My guess, after a little web searching, is that a decapitator cuts out strident highs to make a part sound warmer. In this case, (again, I'm guessing) it was pushed hard to the voice part, adding distortion.

The Decapitator is one of the amazing plugin processing suite made by a brilliant company called SoundToys..... it is a for distortion and general nastiness! Some of the other effects they make are partly responsible for the 'wardrobe full of coats' mentioned above..........

I see I have gone from 'Newbie' to 'The Mixmaster' overnight.... now that's a Fast Track!!!

Cheers to one and all

Stephen
    Last edited by stephentayler; 07-26-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Thanks, Stephen

Glad to have you on the board. Interesting stuff. It gives us a little insight into what goes into album production.

It certainly raised my interest. I'm finding myself searching topics like "tape saturation" and "clipping".

Title Track @ 1:59

Quote Originally Posted by stephentayler View Post
    Anyway, you must be used to Greenall making weird noises by now!
    What is used to make the sound that occurs in the right channel at 1:59 in BF after Cy sings "Lonely, masked in the perfect storm"?

Quote Originally Posted by DanBoutin View Post
    What is used to make the sound that occurs in the right channel at 1:59 in BF after Cy sings "Lonely, masked in the perfect storm"?
    Do you know what, by the time I receive the tracks to mix, they usually have some generic nickname, like verse synth, BF synth.... and thereafter I usually rename the sounds with my own shorthand so I can identify them for my own purposes. In this instance, it is another biting grungy synth that has a slight bias towards the right hand side f the mix..... but I don't know the origin.

If I go back and have a peek at Nick's original Logic file he sent me, then maybe there might be a clue. Anyway, once again, this is the world of Greenall, and frequently the sounds are designed to be abrasive and attention-grabbing!!

Warmest wotnots

SWT

There you go... that soundfile is named Hard Times spr .... so no idea what it is!! Nick knows!!

btw, very soon I shall be starting a blog on the nature of how things sound, and why..... and also announcing a very special project of my own.... so I will keep you posted!

SWT

Ahh, 'Hard Times spr'. lol 'Spr' stands for 'sprong'. One of Rupert's sounds. Hard Times, was a track that they work on, the very first time we worked together at my studio. We never really finished it. I think Cy and I talked about using it for 'Solar Minimum', but again it didn't fit. One of those rough songs that may one day get finished. So that sound, 'sprong' was originally used in the track 'Hard Times'. I'll have to listen out for the gas bottle sound in Cab Stephen, you sneaky bugger! hahaha.
    Nick. x

Wavering Pitch on "Beautiful Friction"

Jamie's last guitar note on "Beautiful Friction" drifts down, then up, then back on pitch again. Does his guitar do that throughout the song? It's very noticeable at the end of the song because it's more exposed.

edit:
    Or maybe that was done only there because it is exposed, making it more interesting?

I don't think it's a recording flaw.
    And no. My CD is not warped.
    Last edited by dejapete; 08-03-2012 at 06:17 PM.

I think it was either a delay, possibly doubling itself up or he's bending the string slightly on that last night. Probably both. He only played that particular note at the end. Me thinks... lol
    Nick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast