View Poll Results: What's your favorite song on Beautiful Friction?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anyone Else

4 10.26%
  • Just Before Dawn

3 7.69%
  • Take a Risk

4 10.26%
  • Beautiful Friction

7 17.95%
  • What God?

5 12.82%
  • Second Time Around

1 2.56%
  • Follow That Cab

5 12.82%
  • Shaman

9 23.08%
  • Something Ahead of You

10 25.64%
  • Girl with no Ceiling

10 25.64%
  • Small Thoughts

2 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vote - Your favorite song on Beautiful Friction

Vote - Your favorite song on Beautiful Friction

I was just wondering and... ta-dah, it's the voting thread. I think this poll can allow for two choices if you are stuck and can't just pick one.

KG

Cool

Take a Risk has got to be it ! It gave me a real good dream one night. The dream was filled with Fixx fans who all just came from a Fixx concert and we all assembled ontop of a huge grassy hill standing bside cars. There were teens there and there were middle aged people so it was just like the song where Cy is singing about " future generations have to deal with this ...don't let go, won't let go, ooooooohoooooo " and then at that point when he sings that, i start flying with the screaming keyboard notes and then swoop over all the fixx fans and their all looking at me in wonder and awe!.... lol, what a dream that was...i hope they make a music video on that song too

"Something Ahead Of You" and "Girl With No Ceiling".

If I'd had only 1 choice, it would have been "Something..." definitely. It has that dramatic quality that echoes variously throughout the band's career via "The Fool", "Outside", "Yesterday, Today", "Roger And Out"...

I chose "Girl..." 2nd purely because it's the mix of art and pure pop that The FIXX do so superbly plus it has the humorous edge not always understood by casual listeners.

But, in fairness, I could easily have picked others - "Beautiful Friction", "Small Thoughts", "Just Before Dawn" are all special to me. And a word for "Second Time Around" too. It's not getting much love in the reviews I've seen but for me it's a class track in every respect.
    The world will always turn, with or without your point of view...

Something Ahead Of You.

Goose-Bump City....

I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.
    Something Ahead of You ~ foremost
    Beautiful Friction
    Shaman

Anyone know how it is decided what will be released as a single?

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

Las Vegas ...all 54 years of the life so far
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary C-Troll View Post
    Something Ahead of You ~ foremost
    Beautiful Friction
    Shaman

Anyone know how it is decided what will be released as a single?
    this is difficult , to pick a favorite ...
    Beautiful Friction
    Something Ahead of you
    Second time around
    What God ... such a great song
    " a friend , is someone who knows all about you ... but... likes you anyway..."
    gregory
    gregory

Just voted for "Girl With No Ceiling"

Reminds me somewhat of "Sinking Island" but has this intensely ethereal chorus.

LOVE IT!!!

Was surprised to see that most others agreed!

Voted "Something Ahead of You" and "Beautiful Friction" although "Take a Risk" is a close 3rd for me.

Having said this, I will also restate my displeasure for "Anyone Else" as the first (and only?) single from this CD release. Maybe the band needs to take up outside polls or independent listener surveys before deciding on their own to release a single. In the old days, bands didn't pick/choose which song was "best" and maybe for good reason?! (and actually they still don't inside the big music industry money machine)

BM
    I've been lurking...

Quote Originally Posted by Beached Male View Post
    Voted "Something Ahead of You" and "Beautiful Friction" although "Take a Risk" is a close 3rd for me.

Having said this, I will also restate my displeasure for "Anyone Else" as the first (and only?) single from this CD release. Maybe the band needs to take up outside polls or independent listener surveys before deciding on their own to release a single. In the old days, bands didn't pick/choose which song was "best" and maybe for good reason?! (and actually they still don't inside the big music industry money machine)

BM
    They didn't pick Anyone Else, the record company did.

Thanks for clearing that up then, as there may have been a mixed message in another thread about the band internally voting on their picks for songs for the album. Given this information, makes me wonder if the band's best interests are met with this new company/label. Too late now to push a reset button and I didn't want to derail this thread. I think the voting here will speak for itself though, that even when two choices for a song per person are allowed, "Anyone Else" is typically not even in the top two.
    I've been lurking...

The band picked the songs that made the album. There are a handful of other tracks that didn't make the album. The record company picked the single. Personally, I think it was the best choice for the first single. It's not necessarily about the fan favourite, but getting people who haven't heard the band before, a chance to get into them. Also, I think it was a great representation of the album to come. Of course no matter what the choice or how it's made, they're always going to have people who disagree. Heck, there are couple of tracks that I didn't particularly like that made the album and others that didn't, that I would have had on it instead.
    Cheers,
    Nick.

Cool My favorite of BF

The whole album is great. Shaman is my fave. The first night I had
    BF, I downloaded it to my iPod and hit repeat on Shaman, must have listen to it a hundred times, well maybe not that many times,
    but you get my point. I also really like Just Before Dawn on the UK
    release, the actual Mark Needham mix. And Anyone Else is a good
    song to drive to. All around great disc. And don't forget Wasted!

"your armor is love"
    Michael

The 6th man

They say the crowd at an NFL game is the 12th man (make noise, distract visiting team, difficult to hear q.b.,etc..). I.M.H.O. George Underwood is the 6th man in the Fixx. All the albums with his cover art, I feel, are the best of the Fixx catalog. R.T.B., Phantoms, Calm Animals, B. Friction. As soon as I saw the artwork the cover was taken from, I knew B. Friction was gonna be Damn Good!! These guys are amazing musicians. If listening to, buying new, seeing live music is something you have done since your teenage years, you know that album artwork is a key element to the music. The guys in the Fixx get it!!

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk1978 View Post
    They say the crowd at an NFL game is the 12th man (make noise, distract visiting team, difficult to hear q.b.,etc..). I.M.H.O. George Underwood is the 6th man in the Fixx. All the albums with his cover art, I feel, are the best of the Fixx catalog. R.T.B., Phantoms, Calm Animals, B. Friction. As soon as I saw the artwork the cover was taken from, I knew B. Friction was gonna be Damn Good!! These guys are amazing musicians. If listening to, buying new, seeing live music is something you have done since your teenage years, you know that album artwork is a key element to the music. The guys in the Fixx get it!!
    exactly. album artwork IS IMPORTANT. i do not know how many records i bought just reliing on this (back in the eighties). that said, i did not always bought a killer, some covers really fool you ;-)
    but you're right: the beautiful friction cover is great. so is the record. and so is the band!
    can't let go
    won't let go

Still listening daily to this disk and the newest standouts for me are Shaman (love those lyrics and the drumming) and Something Ahead Of You (this song seems very Bowie-esque to me for some reason).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast