Thread: "Anyone Else" - inspiring

"Anyone Else" - inspiring

Wanted to share something that some of you might enjoy. I'm a big fan of The Fixx, and have followed them since the early days. I loved "Anyone Else" upon first hearing it, and was blown away by the video. Such a powerful message, such great imagery - and a song strong enough to pull it off. As a gay man married to my husband (legally! Thanks Massachusetts!) for 3 years, the segment on the Westboro Baptist members was particularly inspiring to me.

I am a DJ for an event in Washington, DC on Friday nights at a gay club called DC Bear Crue. I posted the video for "Anyone Else" to the event's site last week. Coincidentally, there was an AIDS conference happening in D.C, and the Westboro Baptist members planned a protest. Several members of the DC Bear Crue and others counter-protested the Westboro folks, and they eventually had them outnumbered dramatically. The organizer then surprised me Friday night when he said that he had seen the video for "Anyone Else" and had compiled pictures of their counter-protest of Westbor and wanted to show a clip of the photos during our event Friday night, while "Anyone Else" played in the background.

It was an amazing moment. "Anyone Else" blasting over the club speakers, several hundred people listening to it while watching photos of the positive images and gay protesters and allies overpowering the hate and bigotry of the Westboro Baptist protesters, who couldn't get their message out because of the outpouring of rejection to that kind of hate.

Just a small way in which music can and does inspire. Hopefully a youtube clip of the counter-protest will be posted soon, and as soon as it is, I will share it.

In the mean time, I am doing everything I can to spread the word about this great song and album.

And here are the pics from the counter-protest:

http://youtu.be/itK9ELsZmOc

It was an amazing moment. "Anyone Else" blasting over the club speakers, several hundred people listening to it while watching photos of the positive images and gay protesters and allies overpowering the hate and bigotry of the Westboro Baptist protesters, who couldn't get their message out because of the outpouring of rejection to that kind of hate.
    Go bandit! That's just awesome. The WBC folks absolutely drive me insane.

Thanks Jeff! This song and this album deserve to be heard

Perfect song for that video! Thanks for sharing that.

Haha one of the Phelps clan posted about the video on Twitter:

Rebekah Phelps-Roper‏@WBCVideo

Member that 1983 hit One Thing Leads to Another? Yah me neither but @FixxOnline new vid feats our signs. +1!! http://www.towleroad.com/2012/07/thefixx.html Via @tlrd

I do not agree with the tactics of the Westboro people.

That was completely inappropriate.

Better to put down their picket-signs, and pray instead.

Pray for themselves, as well as others....
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Re-WBC

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Go bandit! That's just awesome. The WBC folks absolutely drive me insane.

Well, at least we agree on something-- The WBC are indicative of the level of hate prevalent in America, and I hope they can become irrelevant--but I doubt if that will happen anytime soon.

From Nathaniel Downes:
    "The Westboro Baptist Church operates as a litigation factory, generating publicity and giving a hateful message in order to provoke hostile reactions. When the reactions cross the line, the church, run by a family of lawyers, litigated against those they provoke, often times winning large sums from the lawsuits. This in turn finances their efforts."

The ironic thing is that the WBC has probably done far far more to help the gay cause than hurt it. Whenever they appear, people rally against them. People side by side gay, straight, against hate. They push reasonable people to realize the hate and fear that gay people encounter in their lives for simply being who we are wired to be, and it's being rejected in greater and greater numbers.

Studies show over and over again the folks who know gay people are more accepting and approving of gay rights and gay marriage. That's because we are just sons, daughters, neighbors, co-workers, etc.. just normal people trying to get through our lives the best we can. Life throws up enough real obstacles, we should work to remove the artificial ones.

Agreed Bandit! They've totally helped our cause and have brought people together, through their sheer absurdity! I was hoping they'd see the video. Anyone have any connections to Anderson Cooper? I think he would really enjoy the video and may even use it in something. Worth the push folks!
    Nick. x

Quote Originally Posted by spaceroad View Post
    Agreed Bandit! They've totally helped our cause and have brought people together, through their sheer absurdity! I was hoping they'd see the video. Anyone have any connections to Anderson Cooper? I think he would really enjoy the video and may even use it in something. Worth the push folks!
    Nick. x
    No connections, but it doesn't hurt to try! All it takes is for the right person to see it and it will take off, the song and video are strong enough for that no question in my mind. I tweeted it to him