Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to identify songs

Trying to identify songs

Hello Everyone!

I am new here and have run into an issue that maybe you all can help with. First off, this is a great site and glad to have found it again after a few years. Trying to identify some songs and can't for the life of me. Not sure if these are b-sides or what. Here are some of the lyrics:

Song 1 "It'll be a long night, for the sunlight.. every little sidetrack turns into a crisis.. when it's all about you" - Song length is 3:24

Song 2 - Instrumental sounds like it's from an 80's movie and is 2:39

Song 3 - "You're not alone in this world... " - This one has what sounds like a flute in it - length is 4:10

Song 4 - This one is also a instrumental and features some sampled voices (sounds like Fred Flintstone?), and has a guitar part that sounds a lot like the guitar part in Built For The Future. Also features what sounds like a church organ. This one is 7:29

Hope you can help!

I am sure about Number 1 and 3.

1 is "All about you" and 3 is "Rediscover". Rediscover was released as a b-side of the Maxi Single "Secret Separatin" together with "Sense the Adventure". Not really sure where to find "All about you". But i am sure that other Members can come to yor help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Yo View Post
    Song 1 "It'll be a long night, for the sunlight.. every little sidetrack turns into a crisis.. when it's all about you" - Song length is 3:24
    Maybe "All About You"?

Song 2 - Instrumental sounds like it's from an 80's movie and is 2:39
    The Falcon Beat - Rupert Hine, "Better Off Dead" soundtrack

Song 3 - "You're not alone in this world... " - This one has what sounds like a flute in it - length is 4:10
    Not sure.

Song 4 - This one is also a instrumental and features some sampled voices (sounds like Fred Flintstone?), and has a guitar part that sounds a lot like the guitar part in Built For The Future. Also features what sounds like a church organ. This one is 7:29
    Built For The Future - Extended Mix.

Thank you!

Thank you for your help! Got the titles from both posts. Anyone know where All About You comes from?

Paging Mr. Pariseau... Mr. Pariseau to the front desk!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Paging Mr. Pariseau... Mr. Pariseau to the front desk!
    Ah yes, yes. How may I help you??

Heimo is correct on 1 & 3. Jeff is correct on 2 & 4.

All About You was on the cassette version of Missing Links
    Falcon Beat is on the Better Off Dead Soundtrack (as is With One Look)
    Rediscover was on side 2 of Secret Separation 12" vinyl extended mix
    Built For The Future (no formality mix) was also a 12" extended mix.

These songs used to be available on my website but it is down right now.
    The hosting company I once used (HostOnce) finally figured out I haven't paid them for two years HAHA.
    I quit paying them when they wouldn't answer tech support questions. I couldn't upload any new material - no response as to why. I think they resented I had grandfathered unlimited storage space and unlimited bandwidth from when they first started out.

Anyhow, I've changed hosting companies but now have to FIND all my website files. I used to have them back when I had a Windows computer. Don't know where they are now On a back up drive somewhere. Better than that, I should rebuild the site as it was ridiculously outdated. Put higher quality rips up and such. Only problem is I don't know current web building tools. My skills done run dry on that.

Steve - I bet if a bunch of us put our heads together, we could rebuild your archive -- I know I have at least a few in my iTunes library. I'll toss what I have over to you.

Edit: I think I have them all - I've sent you a message on Facebook with a link.

Steve,i really really really loved this side. All this rare tunes and do not forget the great pictures. I allway visited this side regulary from time to time. If there is any possibility to get it back i would love to help if i can. You know that i have a lot of fixx stuff in my collection.
    Cheers Brother!

I just wanted to add, in case you were wondering:

All About You was recorded during the Ink sessions, and sadly was left off the album. In my opinion, it's one of their best songs period.

Rediscover was from the Walkabout sessions and released as a b-side to Secret Separation.
    Tatawayowayo

I would have to agree on All About You.. I really like that song alot. Any word on why it was only included on the cassette issue of Missing Links? From what I know about Missing Links, there were different colored covers for the cd issues, but when I looked at the tracks on them there didn't seem to be a difference. I am guessing the cassette versions were different? Are there any other songs that you know of that are hard to find or is there a complete list of all b-sides somewhere?

hmmm I thought I had all the b-sides but I somehow missed "Rediscover". Will need to track it down.

Quote Originally Posted by tatawayowayo View Post
    Re:All About You ... In my opinion, it's one of their best songs period.
    tata - I couldn't agree with you more. It's always been in my top 10 Fixx tunes of all time. It might get a slight bump out of the 10 with the Beautiful Friction release. Still a great tune and a fave though.

Ren - I asked Rupert about All About You back in the late 90s. He said it just wasn't that good of a song so they left it off Ink. Funny how the band sees their music differently than the fans see it (or hear it). Maybe Rupert never actually heard how awesome his vocoder is on All About You I say that in jest, but seriously, maybe the song was about someone or a time in Cy's life that he didn't really care to stamp onto the album.

Missing Links did have at least three different colors for the cover. I've got a red and a grey. I've seen yellow available on eBay.

Is Glen's B-sides compilation still floating around? I loved that way back when. I remember Eye for Design, Soho Alley. Drawing a blank on the rest. Rediscover and All About You were my favorites from that too. I was surprised more of those weren't on Missing Links. I assumed they were all from earlier albums and didn't realize All About You was from Ink era.

Wow- think of a list of bsides they could release:

all about you
    elected
    eye for design
    everyone believes in something
    L I G H T H O U S E
    life goes on
    mayfly (calypso feel-HL's version way better than elem cd version!)
    rediscover
    remember me when im gone
    ships are safe in harbor
    time in a glass

add more peeps....

im sure theres more INK, Elemental, and Want that Life songs not used
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond05 View Post
    Wow- think of a list of bsides they could release:

all about you
    elected
    eye for design
    everyone believes in something
    L I G H T H O U S E
    life goes on
    mayfly (calypso feel-HL's version way better than elem cd version!)
    rediscover
    remember me when im gone
    ships are safe in harbor
    time in a glass

add more peeps....

im sure theres more INK, Elemental, and Want that Life songs not used
    Well, they played a few more songs live somewhere around in 2007. I really liked "Givin' up". Mmhh, "Taking a day off" was not really that good, wasn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast