Thread: Riverside Concert - Mayo Park - Rochester, MN

Riverside Concert - Mayo Park - Rochester, MN

It's only a week away. Can't wait.

Anyone know about the Riverside Concerts series? Me neither. It will be an early show, starting at 7 P.M. I'm guessing it's a family event with no alcohol. Fine by me. No food? Maybe not so fine.

PM me if you're gonna be there. It would nice to meet up with some people.

It should be a good concert, and it's free. The view will be good, too. Probably something like this:

Name:  Rochester_View_smaller.jpg
Views: 2780
Size:  105.6 KB
    Last edited by dejapete; 08-04-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: smaller pic
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy

What.....no beer!!!!!!!
    hey i'm from wisconsin,wtf???
    gee-bee

just kidding, well sort of!!!
    well dejapete, i hope it's a good show & they get a big crowd.
    i'll have to wait until milwaukee to see them.
    in the mean time,i'm enjoying the new cd / very good~~~~~~~
    gee-bee

Nice set. Of the new ones, What God? was the best.
    The band has done a good job working up their old songs. I especially liked Yesterday, Today. It's a little more driving than it used to be.

Deeper and Deeper
    Anyone Else
    Just Before Dawn
    Take a Risk
    Driven Out
    Beautiful Friction
    What God?
    Yesterday, Today
    One Thing Leads to Another
    Less Cities More Moving People
    The Fool
    Stand or Fall
    Fatal Shore
    Saved by Zero

Red Skies
    Are We Ourselves
    Secret Separation

Name:  Copy of Fixx_Rochester 121.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  213.5 KBName:  Copy of Fixx_Rochester 132.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  206.0 KBName:  Copy of Fixx_Rochester 125.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  60.1 KB

Down by the riverside

I've been a long time fan of the fixx and I have to say I really thought they put in an amazing show tonight!! Thank you for coming to Rochester!! It's So wonderful to hear bands that sound as good if not better than the albums (oh now I'm dating myself). btw down by the riverside has free concerts all summer long and although it is a family affair they do sell beer and you can bring your own :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jenn View Post
    I've been a long time fan of the fixx and I have to say I really thought they put in an amazing show tonight!! Thank you for coming to Rochester!! It's So wonderful to hear bands that sound as good if not better than the albums (oh now I'm dating myself). btw down by the riverside has free concerts all summer long and although it is a family affair they do sell beer and you can bring your own :-)
    Where were you? I don't bite!

Yes. Beer was sold for $4. But all you really need to do is to bring a chair and a cooler, and you're set. The rain kept people away, so I was able to set comfortably in my chair and watch the concert. I was told the park is usually filled with 10-20 thousand people, depending who's playing. Next week, George Thorogood will pack the park.

I can't get over how good the Fixx sounded. They have really worked on their songs. Dan Brown does some interesting things on the bass. Nice to have him back. Wish I had heard him in the old days. My only complaint was that there was some low feedback or something that was kind of distracting. Not sure where it was coming from.

I have more pics on Facebook. Friend me, and you'll find them on my nerdy site.

Bye all!

Amaaaaaazing show! The new songs sounded great. I love the album Beautiful Friction, and my favorite songs of the night were Beautiful Friction, Anyone Else, and What God? (agree with dejaPete). One correction to Pete's set list - they also played How Much Is Enough, right after Take A Risk. That gave them a total of three songs ending in a question mark for the evening. It was a longer set, with 18 songs and 94 minutes, so I was thrilled! A couple of other observations: They all sounded good, and Cy's voice was very crisp - vocals sounded good in the mix. Dan was the only one that did the backing vocals on Beautiful Friction (sounded good). Rupert really had some cool new sounds, especially an atmospheric 'echo' effect on Beautiful Friction; and Cy sang a little bit of 'Better Be Good To Me', by Tina Turner (featuring Cy & Jamie, of course!) toward the end of Secret Separation. Cy's best line of the evening, delivered right before Are We Ourselves? - 'Here's a quick tip for you. This is how you can save much time in your very busy life - just remove the mirror from your bathroom!'

Deeper and Deeper
    Anyone Else
    Just Before Dawn
    Take a Risk
    How Much Is Enough?
    Driven Out
    Beautiful Friction
    What God?
    Yesterday, Today
    One FIXX Concert Leads to Another
    Less Cities More Moving People
    The Fool