Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice/Opinion on marketing Beautiful Friction

Potential Singles?

As a former DJ, and with some idea of what might constitute popular air-play:
    (Though by no means expert in either status)

My hunches. In order of priority:

*Follow That Cab
    (Mixes in nicely with some of today's stuff. No?)

*Girl With No Ceiling
    (Too punchy to be denied. Reaches out and grabs you.)

*Beautiful Friction
    (Definitely a radio-friendly choice.)

So how many of these will make it?
    Probably none.

I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

Quote Originally Posted by firstnovaprime View Post
    I don't remember who said it. They just mentioned they had talked to
    Cy before a recent concert and that he had said EB was in the working for release. Can't confirm it was said, sorry! You would know
    better. It did sound like great info. I like the song. Hope they do
    release it.

"your amour is love"
    Michael
    Sorry, I got it wrong. I completely forgot they recorded Everyone Believes, Life Goes On and Day Off at another studio before they started at mine. Actually Day Off was the first thing they did at my studio, but it was mixed by Ian Caple along with the other 2 tracks. Yet to be released...

A sort of place you don't often find. A quiet room to go out of your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceroad View Post
    Hi folks,
    'Shaman' was a no brainer for me. However, it wasn't on everyones A list. So it ended up not making the final list. After the album was mixed, it became obvious that 'Shaman' needed to be on there. Plus, opinions changed after mixes came back and had a chance to sink in. The band then sent it off to Stephen to be mixed. So there you have it. ...Nick. x
    thank you, Nick. My favorites change from time to time on any of the albums, and right now I'm in love with this song~ Shaman.

I don't know what I just said or why.

From my heart & from my hand
    why don't people understand my intention
    -Weird Science

Cool I just hope they do release Everyone Believes

Sorry, I got it wrong. I completely forgot they recorded Everyone Believes, Life Goes On and Day Off at another studio before they started at mine. Actually Day Off was the first thing they did at my studio, but it was mixed by Ian Caple along with the other 2 tracks. Yet to be released...
    Everyone Believes is a great song. Release it please! More Fixx, More
    Fixx, More Fixx!

"your amour is love"
    Michael

There should be plenty of live versions when they were recording shows on those FIXXSTIX, and the cds you could get thru the store.

I have the 2 cd one from 8/5/05 from the high stage of santa cruz... (LOL) the sound is awesome (from the soundboard) Ira did these i believe...

So not sure if they'll look back to document a few songs that have been "documented" live a few dozen times....

Lighthouse- again in my personal selfish opinion... would be the exception...... blast that guitar JWO! (preferred the electric guitar version over the acoustic/Ovation gtr ones!)
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Quote Originally Posted by Cary C-Troll View Post
    Either way, wow, Shaman is the stand out
    ShamWow, Cary?

I heard Shaman replaced another song at the last minute and I'm glad about that..

Such a great album!
    With mental wingo I'm nearly flying

Quote Originally Posted by tookarisk View Post
    it's confusing to me also as why they dont have more music videos of the new album out also. I mean one vid and that is it ? didn't they in the past put out more vids per album and then tour ? it seems to me they really dont want to make it to the top of the charts this time. Just my opinion since i do recall more vids per album and then tours. Anyways, there are many other ways to promote/advertise their new album. One way would be to make a free website service for their fans. Like fans would get a free website to do what they wanted to with it and at the same time it would have a little advertising of the fixx on it and that way they would get more fans. Anyways, theFIXX are awesome and who really cares how they do all their advertising ! roger and out
    Just a guess here, but videos tend to be expen$ive to do properly.. and what with YouTube and FB, there are so many excellent (and not-so-great) fan-filmed videos out there, they tend to speak for themselves.

And the M in MTV no longer means Music. I think it means Mooki or whatever the hell her name is

But yeah, I would LOVE to see some cool professionally-produced videos - Shaman, Follow That Cab (that would be a fun one!), and others, but where do they get aired now? Just YouTube/Vimeo I think..
    With mental wingo I'm nearly flying

Quote Originally Posted by wingo395 View Post
    ShamWow, Cary?

I heard Shaman replaced another song at the last minute and I'm glad about that..

Such a great album!
    Shaman was meant to replace The Girl with No Ceiling, but instead replaced Wasted. The Girl With No Ceiling went around the block so many times, none of us could tell if it was still a great track or not. It obviously is, by the amount of likes it gets.

How does that work Nick- They kept swapping GWNCeiling, shaman, and wasted around....

Unlike a vinyl record holds what? 60 minutes... and a cd holds much more...

Why not keep Wasted too on the cd? Do they have to pay so much per song to license/copyright etc....
    Wondering how much it cost per track (or is it by minute/second/)

I remember ST discussed the hidden tracks do not get royalties (just a free fan bonus)

Curious subject-

<>D3
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond05 View Post
    Vinyl is around 22 minutes per side if you want good quality. If you go above that, you have to severely limit the dynamic range and eq out the low bass, or the grooves will literally run into each other.

CDs were originally spec'd at 74 minutes, extended to 80 minutes a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond05 View Post
    How does that work Nick- They kept swapping GWNCeiling, shaman, and wasted around....

Why not keep Wasted too on the cd? Do they have to pay so much per song to license/copyright etc....
    Wondering how much it cost per track (or is it by minute/second/)

I remember ST discussed the hidden tracks do not get royalties (just a free fan bonus)

Curious subject-

<>D3
    No, nothing to do with copyright. They just couldn't decide. I think maybe the record company may have had some influence on keeping The Girl With No Ceiling on it, then Wasted got the boot. Not sure, as I wasn't part of that process. Personally, I would have loaded up the CD and Vinyl (since it's a double) with the extra track(s). Kept the digital to the concise track list. That way you shift more physical copies, which pay more. Not to mention a deluxe CD version with loads more on it. All the other bands are doing and it and it certainly helps with revenue.

Shaman was meant to replace The Girl with No Ceiling, but instead replaced Wasted. The Girl With No Ceiling went around the block so many times, none of us could tell if it was still a great track or not. It obviously is, by the amount of likes it gets.
    I think you guys made the right decision. GWNC fits with one underlying concept of the album (a relationship that had run its course (like JBD & BF, STA)) whereas Wasted seemed centered more on social media and wasting time in front of a flat screen. Wasted is a great tune, no doubt, with content relevant to today's social happenings. It's kind of like Driven Out in a way. Rupert really shines on Wasted.

Anyway GWNC is my fave on the album and I'm grateful it was left in the playlist.

Party on dudes!!

Vinyl (since it's a double)

Speaking of the upcoming vinyl release (which I have pre-ordered ) - do you know if it's the exact same mastering as the CD, or was it mastered specifically for vinyl? Also, are the masters 44khz/16, 48khz/24, or 96khz/24bit?

(yeah, I'm a geek)

Cool They should have kept Wasted on the cd also.

No, nothing to do with copyright. They just couldn't decide. I think maybe the record company may have had some influence on keeping The Girl With No Ceiling on it, then Wasted got the boot. Not sure, as I wasn't part of that process. Personally, I would have loaded up the CD and Vinyl (since it's a double) with the extra track(s). Kept the digital to the concise track list. That way you shift more physical copies, which pay more. Not to mention a deluxe CD version with loads more on it. All the other bands are doing and it and it certainly helps with revenue.
    I would have rather paid more for more songs on the cd (including Wasted), than having to go to itUNES to get it. Like I have said
    before I personally hate downloads. I like the physical cd.

"your amour is love"
    Michael

What a fantatsic thread. I am really enjoying reading it. So much insider infos and great opinion in here. Thank you guys!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast