Thread: music videos & promos

Question music videos & promos

K, so im wondering now why hasn't they made any more music videos ? I see they have "anyone else" music video but nothing more. They would make more fans if they had more music videos don't you think ? Also are they playing their albums on radiostations ? I ask since the first time i heard the fixx was on radio bak in 1980 and these days im too busy learning how to make video games on xbox 360 so i dont listen to radio>just their new album . Did they not in the past have more music videos for each of their new albums ? I'm confused on how they are doing their promotion/advertising of their new album. Another way they could advertise is to offer fans a free website service and then in return each new website would have a bit of thefixx ads on them. Thats one way they would get more fans. Another thing i have in mind is mixing their new songs as a way to promote them. Anyone else mix their new songs ?
    Last edited by tookarisk; 08-19-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Did they not in the past have more music videos for each of their new albums ?
    Those were all done back in the 80s when they were with a major label who could kick in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce one. It was also the era when MTV actually played music videos 24/7 and the exposure was worth that cost. Indeed it was almost a pre-requesite back then.

The music industry has really changed since then. Mp3s, iPods, iTunes, the slow death of the CD, MTV barely playing any music at all -- it's just all different. Yet making a music video is still very expensive. And as a promotional tool, unless you know you'll get excellent exposure, or can do it on the cheap, it's a risky proposition.

I'm thrilled we got one for Anyone Else - that was a total surprise to me, and a pleasant one. Kudos to everyone involved making that happen. If we get another, fabulous, but I don't really expect it.

As for how the label is promoting the album, I doubt we'll get to see what they have planned ahead of time. Those are private business decisions, and companies of all types usually don't share their marketing plans.

Remixes are really fun, but again I'm not sure if they're needed these days. More than likely the places that want them are clubs and dj's, and likely what they'd want are remixes of the old hits.

Again, just random ruminations from an armchair A&R guy. ;-)

- jeff

The Fixx have a music video for Touch from Want That Life. It can be found on their website and YouTube.

YouTube is the "get it now" gold standard for music videos for recording artists today. MTV is a has been. Teens & twenty somethings spend far more time on the internet than they do television anymore.

There will be more music videos for Beautiful Friction.
    Be patient. The album was just released a month ago. This stuff doesn't happen over night.

Cool Cds

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Those were all done back in the 80s when they were with a major label who could kick in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce one. It was also the era when MTV actually played music videos 24/7 and the exposure was worth that cost. Indeed it was almost a pre-requesite back then.

The music industry has really changed since then. Mp3s, iPods, iTunes, the slow death of the CD, MTV barely playing any music at all -- it's just all different. Yet making a music video is still very expensive. And as a promotional tool, unless you know you'll get excellent exposure, or can do it on the cheap, it's a risky proposition.

I'm thrilled we got one for Anyone Else - that was a total surprise to me, and a pleasant one. Kudos to everyone involved making that happen. If we get another, fabulous, but I don't really expect it.

As for how the label is promoting the album, I doubt we'll get to see what they have planned ahead of time. Those are private business decisions, and companies of all types usually don't share their marketing plans.

Remixes are really fun, but again I'm not sure if they're needed these days. More than likely the places that want them are clubs and dj's, and likely what they'd want are remixes of the old hits.

Again, just random ruminations from an armchair A&R guy. ;-)

- jeff
    Unfortunately you are right about the slow death of cds, I personally hate downloads, I only have one that I've bought
    "Wasted". I'd rather have the physical cd, art, liner notes,
    something of the artists that can be signed if you get the chance. A collection.
    I like to have something in my hand, that I can download from. That I own. I
    don't get that with downloads. I feel controlled. Oh well, that's technology
    for you.

"your amour is love"
    Michael
    Last edited by firstnovaprime; 08-20-2012 at 07:00 AM.