Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can describe the RUSH set list in one word....

I can describe the RUSH set list in one word....

BRUTAL

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2...a-bddad3a.html

$175 a ticket. No thanks. Love Rush but not this set list.
    We'll know for the first time
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line

I saw the show in Bristow, VA last Sunday night. The setlist was slightly modified:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2...-2bddb8de.html

I do know that for some RUSH fans, enjoyment of a show is directly related to the setlist. Folks often want to hear certain deep cuts or older, classic material. Those fans might have been more satiated on the last tour. I am not an aficionado on the older songs, but I think they played a few and the hardcores around me appeared satisfied. I like the new album (I don't love it the way I love "Beautiful Friction". There are some skippable songs for me on "Clockwork Angels.)

Overall, it was a wonderful show and I was thoroughly entertained, even during those songs I didn't know. Exceptional music. Fantastic staging. The string ensemble added a depth to the sound on a number of the new songs that was noticeable. And they played for about 3 hours. All that being said, my tickets weren't as expensive as what you quoted and I doubt I would have paid that up front either. But in retrospect, I think it would have been worth that money, Hankster. Since my husband (who is the real RUSH fan in the family) was out of town the other night, I am trying to convince him to get to see them at a future date.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by musegirl View Post
    I saw the show in Bristow, VA last Sunday night. The setlist was slightly modified:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2...-2bddb8de.html

I do know that for some RUSH fans, enjoyment of a show is directly related to the setlist. Folks often want to hear certain deep cuts or older, classic material. Those fans might have been more satiated on the last tour. I am not an aficionado on the older songs, but I think they played a few and the hardcores around me appeared satisfied. I like the new album (I don't love it the way I love "Beautiful Friction". There are some skippable songs for me on "Clockwork Angels.)

Overall, it was a wonderful show and I was thoroughly entertained, even during those songs I didn't know. Exceptional music. Fantastic staging. The string ensemble added a depth to the sound on a number of the new songs that was noticeable. And they played for about 3 hours. All that being said, my tickets weren't as expensive as what you quoted and I doubt I would have paid that up front either. But in retrospect, I think it would have been worth that money, Hankster. Since my husband (who is the real RUSH fan in the family) was out of town the other night, I am trying to convince him to get to see them at a future date.
    You can't please everyone. I don't like the set list therefore, I passed on tickets. I'm glad you enjoyed the show.
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line

rush setlist

I'm really torn on the setlists for their 3 shows so far (modest changes each night). They are playing 8-9 songs from Clockwork Angels, and a heavy rotation of Power Windows songs (I missed that tour back in '86), so there are easily more than a dozen songs in their setlist that I have yet to hear live.

Power Windows is far from my favorite Rush cd, but the allure of all those songs I haven't heard live yet easily outweghs the fact that it isn't at the top of my list, as does the fact that these guys are ~60 yrs. old and who knows how many more tours there will be. Sure there some songs I'd rather hear, but this is probably the most unique setlist Rush has played.

I'm actually pretty happy that only 2 Moving Pictures songs are in the set....they played the entire album last tour, and all of their tours in the last decade have featured a heavy rotation of MP songs. The only disappointment for me is the lack of 70's era songs in the current set.

Lots of debate on the setlists so far. Interesting reading at http://www.rushisaband.com/

I will be at the Philly show next month and just enjoying the fact that my other favorite band is still playing live after all these years.

-Chris

I just wish Alex busts out the twang guitars for the PW's tunes- im a Fender fan- and that 80s chorus (Jamie sound) is my fave-
    not a huge lespaul or gibson fan-or the PRS guitars- still tooooo muffle sounding for me... respect it but not my fave of his stuff- except maybe the distorted 70s stuff with the white gibson-

YEah the price is getting up there for their gigs lately- but at least they can play their instruments WELL! you'd pay 150 bucks to see far less talented peeps shake their *** for the same price-

dancing doesnt make up for the licks the rush trio comes up with- all by themselves! still incredible to this day.... cant wait for Buffalo- Oct 26th!!!

<>
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Bottom line you money your choice. If you like the show that's all that matters.

$50 bucks for a tee-shirt. fuk that!!!!!!

At least someone agrees with me

Rush.. Opening night in Manchester, NH 9-7-12
    Verizon Wireless Arena - Manchester
    - Manchester
    , NH
    - Fri, Sep 7, 2012
    Posted 09/09/2012
    by CirciusShmircus
    AWFUL!!! You would think that these guys get it by now. 175 bucks a ticket to hear them play all their new stuff is crazy. Yea, we are impressed that Rush can make new music, but I do not pay admission to hear the whole new album. Play the hits that people want to hear. Get over your EGO and realize your music will never be like it was. The new stuff was OK, but c'mon guys give us value for our Money. I love Rush and left disappointed. I have noticed over the last 10 years that they are doing this more and more. Please dudes, respect and play the songs the paying fans want and expect, especially at the prices you demand for tickets. For the record...The first show I have EVER gone to and find a regular concert t-shirt for fifty bucks. Yes, fifty bucks! Enough said!
    Favorite moment: Opening song, subdivisions
    Setlist: Pretty crappy
    Opening act(s): None
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line

Wow, Hankster. That was an illuminating post from that (alleged) RUSH fan.

I have to say, I am consistently surprised by "fans" who purport to love music, but pretty much hate musicians. They want their rock to be authentic, but have disdain for an artistic process that might compel a band to prefer sharing their most recent creative work rather than cater to stunted fanboys and perform material that they aren't feeling passionate about playing. I think it shows enormous faith and respect in a fanbase to feel confident about playing material the air drummers haven't had time to memorize yet. So, they played 9 new songs. Horrors. They played 16 old ones. And they likely played for 3 hours. That seems reasonable to me.

I am also perplexed by the author's comment that the band had been "doing this more and more over the last 10 years." Seriously? The band's last whole freaking tour was about playing the classic Rush material (heavily Moving Pictures, but other stuff too). But there are some people who will never be satisfied, right? I am sure that those guys had a plan there....let's play all of our old songs that the fans love this time on the Time Machine Tour and next time we will try out the new stuff. We'll call the tour the same name as the new album so people will have a clue what to expect.

In some ways, RUSH and the Fixx share a similar challenge. When you have been producing music for 3 decades you end up with a body of work that has a lot of highlights - and there will always be people who show up to hear the hits or at least those signature songs you are known for. And The Fixx have about 9 songs that got radio/MTV play, so for decades those 9 songs dominated their set. I can't tell you how thrilled I was when they played 7 new freaking songs at their recent gigs. And I felt like they were playing them for all of us -- the Fixxtures who have kept coming to the shows, the ones who knew they had this album in them.

I don't really understand it. I guess to some folks, a famous band is really just a collection of their body of work and video they've seen.

Of course, a t-shirt for $50 is nuts. I saw that at the merch table and I wondered if Alex had possibly wiped his face on them the night before like the Shroud of Turin. Too much. I didn't buy one. I did notice they seemed cheaper online. And the tickets were spendy. It was a spectacle and a great showcase of the new album. If someone doesn't love the new album, they probably wouldn't enjoy the show whether the ticket was $20 or $120. Oh well. I would echo what yyzed said...how many more tours might their be? I do think this was a worthwhile effort and a good value.
    Lisa

Post #6---Please watch the language.

Folks, don't pay $175 for a pair of new shoes.
    Not worth it, no matter what the brand.

Concert tickets? Can't see that either.

I auditioned "Clockwork Angels," gave it an 82 on a scale between 35 and 98. Just thought it lacked a certain OOMPH that would have really won me over. But I find myself supporting the fans who want to hear new material live, that's what this tour is all about. Just don't over-spend. It's only entertainment.

Peace out....
    I don't "go through channels." I dig my own....

I definitely lean on the side of preferring to hear lots of the new music. I've seen Rush about a zillion times and I really, truly, don't need to hear Tom Sawyer, Spirit of the Radio, Working Man, or YYZ again live. I also have all the concert videos - I'm pretty sated with regards to the old stuff. What I do still enjoy is hearing the new stuff. Indeed, it often sounds better than on the recent albums (several of which were mastered beyond ear-bleed levels).

Now, I totally understand if this is someone who is going to their first Rush concert... they want a Greatest Hits show. But is that really your average Rush concert goer? Most are deeply serious fans and have gone to every tour for decades. And usually the only chance to see a song from the latest album live is during the current tour. So my advice is cherish it.

All these bands new to stop raping the fans . $50 tee shirt
    $175 Rush
    $250 Fleetwoodmac
    $250 Eagles

These bands are multi millionaires its pure greed.

I refuse to pay these prices. Agan this is my opinion only. If you want to spend your hard earned scratch on these milliionares be my guest .
    $50 4 a tee shirt really? I'll taks a RTB t for $20

I always wanted to be a wiseass and instead of buying an overpriced shirt at a BIG expensive show.... GO buy a cheap black tshirt and literally staple the actual concert ticket stub across the chest!!

As kind of a mockery of the tour shirt showoff- Yeah i gotta shirt to impress everyone to show em i went to an overpriced show, got an overpriced shirt and overpriced beer etc.....

low buck idea that also proves to the world that you were at the show and wanted to brag to the world how cool you are (until the next tour and your shirt is now outdated! AGH!) ;P

Yes i am a devious wiseass with an Irish sense of humor! LOL~

<>D3
    "There can be no tradition without innovation."
    - Earle Hitchner, Irish music journalist

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond05 View Post
    I always wanted to be a wiseass and instead of buying an overpriced shirt at a BIG expensive show.... GO buy a cheap black tshirt and literally staple the actual concert ticket stub across the chest!!

As kind of a mockery of the tour shirt showoff- Yeah i gotta shirt to impress everyone to show em i went to an overpriced show, got an overpriced shirt and overpriced beer etc.....

low buck idea that also proves to the world that you were at the show and wanted to brag to the world how cool you are (until the next tour and your shirt is now outdated! AGH!) ;P

<>D3
    That is hilarious & clever clever
    I knew there was reason y i like your comments.
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line

More disappointed fans

Worst concert we have ever been to
    CONSOL Energy Center*-*Pittsburgh, PA*-*Tue, Sep 11, 2012Posted 09/13/2012by Trey5023
    The crowd was either sitting still (if they could endure the horrific performance) or left midway through the show. Rush played all the songs they wanted to play and none that the crowd wanted to hear. This was not a rock show, but more of a poor attempt at an art performance. Rush has great songs, but none were played and we will not support them anymore via concert events.
    Favorite moment: When we left the show
    Opening act(s): None
    Share this review:

No old songs - very disappointed
    CONSOL Energy Center*-*Pittsburgh, PA*-*Tue, Sep 11, 2012Posted 09/14/2012by elarse1
    I came to see Rush to listen to the classic rock songs, things you'd hear on WDVE (Pittsburgh's classic rock station) or on Moving Pictures. We heard NONE of that. In fact, the four of us did not recognize a single song for the first three hours. To Rush's credit, they started promptly at 7:30 with no opening act (they took a break in there somewhere too). The first recognizable song, YYZ, didn't come until 10:15 and it was an instrumental. Come on guys, if the entire arena is sitting down looking bored, play something we've heard before. At least mix it up! Tom Sawyer didn't come on until the encore. There was also a reggae version of Working Man, which was not so good until they picked up the pace halfway through. Then, another instrumental. We had the $60 seats, but we got upgraded to these excellent seats in row B, so we had a fantastic view of the band playing songs we didn't know. The sound quality was really good, we just didn't know the songs. So, we basically paid $120 for the two of us to hear three songs. This was my first Rush concert, I doubt I will go to another...
    Favorite moment: When they finally played a song I'd heard before
    Setlist: A bunch of songs I'd never heard, YYZ, Working Man (reggae version), Tom Sawyer, and another instrumental.
    Opening act(s): None - make sure you come on time!
    Share this review:

CONSOL Energy Center*-*Pittsburgh, PA*-*Tue, Sep 11, 2012Posted 09/14/2012by Ctownmike
    IM16 YO son loves Rush so I bought these tickits for his Birthday and he was very dissapointed in the show. Said he felt like he was at a concert for a band he never heard of.they played 5 songs he knew in a 3 hr set.if these bands would tell you that they are on a B side tour I venture to say they would not be able to sell the tickits . I will not be going to concerts in the future till I see a review.
    Favorite moment: The End
    Setlist: Nothing you ever heard
    Opening act(s): No
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line

Quote Originally Posted by HENRY IZZO View Post
    In fact, the four of us did not recognize a single song for the first three hours. To Rush's credit, they started promptly at 7:30 with no opening act (they took a break in there somewhere too). The first recognizable song, YYZ, didn't come until 10:15 and it was an instrumental.
    Opening act(s): No
    I am not surprised that there are some people voicing disappointment. There is always a disappointed minority. But folks in the audience when I attended were thrilled.

But I gotta say, as someone who hasn't even been a fan for a super-long time and is still learning many songs from the older albums, I am flummoxed by anyone who claims to be a RUSH fan and doesn't recognize "Subdivisions." It got lots of play on MTV and Classic Rock radio. It was the first song of the night.

The folks who wanted to hear a bunch of stuff from Moving Pictures should have come to the Time Machine Tour. They played the entire album from start to finish. Even "Witch Hunt" for cryin' out loud. It's just unfortunate that people are coming to this tour expecting it to be Time Machine Part 2 (which was just...um 2 years ago). They played songs from 10 albums. I am actually jealous because Pittsburgh got "Bravado," which is my all time favorite RUSH song. Oh well. I lived and had a great time anyway.

You know, I expect people who go to see Bon Jovi or Def Leppard to expect to hear the "famous" songs by those bands. But this is RUSH - a band known their entire career for making unconventional choices and not pandering to record companies or radio or even the fans to some extent (e.g. those who thought keyboards were the end of the world). When somebody buys the record or the ticket, they have to buy into what this particular band stands for. I am fascinated too by anyone who will purchase a pricey concert ticket, but apparently wouldn't spend $10 on the new CD to familiarize themselves with the songs prior to buying concert tickets or attending the show.

Whatever.
    Lisa

Cool I'd love to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond05 View Post

<>D3
    Actually Diamond, I've heard somebody else say they wanted to do
    that, it's great idea, especially if you did it at the concert and then went up to the band if you had the chance to get an autograph. That would be hilarious! Devious minds think alike.

"your amour is love"
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast