Thread: Outside

Outside

Posting this message to be our reference for links to all the varying versions we can find of the great song, "Outside." This is probably my favorite song from The Fixx (I hesitate to say that as I may say it again for another song), but certainly in my top 5 of all songs ever recorded by The Fixx. Today was a day for me to spend some time listening to more of The Fixx than I have in many months, and I happened upon a cleaned up audio version of the live performance of Outside back in 1983 in Denver. Unfortunately, there is a different posting of this same live performance on YouTube with more hits that has inferior audio, but this newer posting of the same performance is really cleaned up and you will hear some interesting synths and a unique ending (slight change in tempo to upbeat). Please post other versions of Outside, especially from the current tour - recent setlists show that Outside is in the rotation, will be great to hear and compare them all in one place.

The Fixx, "Outside" live in Denver, 1983 (wear headphones to listen!)

Last edited by Beached Male; 06-08-2013 at 03:18 AM.
    I've been lurking...

Best of the vinyl uploads of "Outside" I have listened to. For newer fans - you have to hear that slight "Snap, Crackle and Pop" of vinyl once in a while, as this is how many of us remember our early audiophile experiences.

I've been lurking...

The 1011 Woodland "unplugged" version of Outside, and I find it a more haunting version of the song. Jamie's guitar solo and the distinct guitar sound are not part of this version, so it is a completely different take. There are mixed reviews at the YouTube site among posters there, but I like hearing this one now and then also.

maccafix (YouTube source) did a decent job with the video editing on this one.

I've been lurking...

Quote Originally Posted by Beached Male View Post
    Please post other versions of Outside, especially from the current tour - recent setlists show that Outside is in the rotation, will be great to hear and compare them all in one place.
    Hi, you can find this one on YouTube, very recent and not so bad!

There is some good footage of Jamie's Ibanez in that first one.

Would be great if a recent version of Outside, recorded from the soundboard, and not the audience, were available. I've seen many of the recent YouTube videos (including the previously posted one) but the audio quality is degraded by recording in the middle of a crowd, and given the slower tempo of the song there's usually a bit of talking/chatter interfering with the sound quality. Admittedly, I would trade the video portion for superior sound quality, but here's hoping we get just that. -- I guess this reveals that I'm an audiophile/purist that only wants to enjoy the music and not the "scene"
    I've been lurking...

Quote Originally Posted by Beached Male View Post
    ... I guess this reveals that I'm an audiophile/purist that only wants to enjoy the music and not the "scene"
    personally i kinda like hearing a bit of 'the scene' mixed in, React sounds great, but i prefer the 1984 BBC Rock Hour broadcast, the clinking glasses and loud drunks give it character
    Last edited by Octopulse; 07-05-2013 at 05:09 AM.
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

Sadly, the first post in this thread has a dead link to the video, which had a great audio sound quality to it. However, the following link takes you to the same 1983 performance of "Outside" from that Denver concert. It has less quality in the audio, but still worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DQNHbz94s0

I don't have a membership in Concert Vault, but that is another way to at least listen into the audio tracks from that 1983 concert, which includes this same playing of Outside:

http://www.concertvault.com/the-fixx...983-early.html

In a bit of irony, I am travelling to Denver and Colorado Springs this weekend, especially to get outside a bit!

BM
    Last edited by Beached Male; 11-03-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    I've been lurking...

Vacaville, California, July 20, 2014:

The extended solo by Jamie shows where he has taken it in recent years, to contrast with the many earlier variations on the song.
    I've been lurking...

You have to manually move the video to the 50 minute mark exactly to specifically view Outside from this concert in Germany, September 13, 2014.

Three things interesting about this, besides being in Germany:
    1. Cy has one of those unusual hats on.
    2. Dan did not put his hat back on after the mid-concert break (noticeable banter between Dan and Cy just prior to the song - maybe Dan forgot to put it back on?).
    3. During Jamie's guitar solo work, Cy decides to join Adam on drums, becoming a temporary percussionist.

I've been lurking...

Best version of Outside is on Real Time Stood Still IMHO
    We'll know for the first time
    If we're evil or divine
    We're the last in line