Thread: Attention Syntheads!!: Camphor synth question

Attention Syntheads!!: Camphor synth question

What synth was most likely used for the ethereal chime sounds at the beginning of "Camphor"? I'm guessing a Prophet 5, given what I've previously read about Rupert's choices of synths. I currently don't own the hardware, but I recently purchased an Arturia softsynth emulator (iProphet) for my iPad. I'm also considering the purchase of the full-on DAW for Logic Pro as well.

Bonus question- does anyone know of a preset for this sound or what combination of oscillator waveforms that might have been used to get it?
    Last edited by Insouciant1; 12-29-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insouciant1 View Post
    What synth was most likely used for the ethereal chime sounds at the beginning of "Camphor"? I'm guessing a Prophet 5, given what I've previously read about Rupert's choices of synths. I currently don't own the hardware, but I recently purchased an Arturia softsynth emulator (iProphet) for my iPad. I'm also considering the purchase of the full-on DAW for Logic Pro as well.

Bonus question- does anyone know of a preset for this sound or what combination of oscillator waveforms that might have been used to get it?
    Sorry for the late response, I haven't been on the board much lately..

When The Fixx was on tour in 1985 (latter part of the Phantoms Tour), Rupert had the following synths on stage (seen in the Live at Rockpalast DVD):

Yamaha DX-7 (original series)
    Sequential Circuits Prophet T8
    *what appears to be* Waldorf PPG Wave 2.3

So if he held on to this gear going into the Walkabout sessions, it is likely he used these synths on the album.

Many musicians in the mid-80s were in possession of early '80s analogue synths and newer digital/FM synths, depending on what they could afford. Not sure how much of The Fixx's gear that MCA was financing at the time (if any), but those synths were not cheap back in the day! The DX-7 was the most affordable, and of course became one of the most popular synths of the decade. I have a DX-7 myself (the DX-7 IIFD, which came out in '87), and it's possible that those chimes could have come from an expansion RAM cartridge for the DX-7. Otherwise, the PPG was very capable of generating shiny, chime-like sounds (Depeche Mode used a PPG Wave on A Broken Frame). Rupert used to reply to messages here a long time ago. You might ask this question on the Fixx's Facebook page, there is plenty of knowledgeable people with information to share (many from this forum).

Hope this helps a little,