Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your first record?

What was your first record?

Clearing out the attic yesterday, I found the first ever record I ever bought, way back in 1981. It was Saga's "Worlds apart", produced by Rupert Hine. Songs like "Wind him up" & "on the loose".

When I played it this evening it sounded just a little bit dated, but the memories still came flooding back.

So, what was your first record/single/album/tape/CD?

the first record I ever owned was "Goodbye Tellow Brick Road" by Elton John, my father found it inside an old dresser he bought second-hand and gave it to me, i wore it out

The first album that I actually went out and purchased was Rocks by Aerosmith in 1976 and its still my all-time favorite record today

Re: What was your first record?

Originally posted by heimo
    So, what was your first record/single/album/tape/CD?
    The answer to that for me is a bit embarrasing. My dad would take me to a store called Disco all the time and I would usually get a 45 if I had been good. The first was probably Top of The World by the Carpenters or Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks.

Those were the days.
    steve

Re: Re: What was your first record?

Originally posted by Steve Pariseau

The answer to that for me is a bit embarrasing. My dad would take me to a store called Disco all the time and I would usually get a 45 if I had been good. The first was probably Top of The World by the Carpenters or Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks.

Those were the days.
    steve
    I think I can better that embarrassment. My first album was Thriller by Michael Jackson. Loved it at the time, now I laugh at the whole thing. Sad, isn't it.

Actually, since I have older brothers, I was heavily influenced by classic 70s rock as my username suggests.

After Thriller, I can safely and proudly say that my 2nd bought album was "Reach the Beach." I was cruisin to Wyoming with my brother for the summer and he played the tape that he'd recently bought. We played it a lot on that trip and I just had to buy it for myself. And the rest is history.

Oh man, does this ever bring back memories!

My first almum was a 45 of Tom Petty's "You Got Lucky". I remember it had "Damn the Torpedoes" on the opposite side. I still have that album somewhere.

I also was heavily influenced by 70's bands. My brother introduced me to such classics as Led Zepplin and Mike Oldfield (remember Tubular Bells?).

My first Fixx fix, was a cassette for "Reach the Beach", that's what started it!

USW

Clash,Combat Rock..Still one of my faves!!

I think I can outdo anyone who is embarrassed so far--my first album was Donnie & Marie's first album.

For what it's worth, I was nine.

Arrow

KISS - Destroyer ...oh yeah, mean Gene and the boys... 3 friends and I would pack the cooler full of ice and Miller High Life (in a bottle of course) and then we would cruise around with the 8-track as loud as it would go!

Smile

well I have to say I had two firsts "Hall n' Oats-BIG BAM BOOM & Duran Duran-Seven and the ragged tiger".Both were my first records to own and I got them at the same time on one Christmas morning

A single of "The More You Live, The More You Love" by A Flock of Seagulls. Still have it (& still my fave AFOS song).

My first

I had a little portable player that you needed a plastic clip for 45's to fit on. I got the Everly Brother's version of "devoted to You" and played it till it wore out. Then anything from the Carpenter's till about 10 years old , I was a karaoke kook. In junior high I loved Hall n Oates.

C'mon, everyone, admit the first albums you really had as 7-8-year-old. I can top all embarrassments. My first 78 speed was something called "Funny Bone" with silly songs for kids like "Disco Duck" and "Monster Mash."

My first 45 was "Strawberry Letter 23" by the Brothers Johnson (I still love that song), I also had a 45 of Al Stewart with "Time Passages" on one side and "Magnet and Steel" on the other.

Shortly after came my first 8-track of the Eagles Hotel California. My first car had an 8-track player in it, so I was glad I held on to that one.

My first cassetes are hazier. Considering I recently found several KC and the Sunshine Band (embarrassing - "That's the way - uh huh uh huh - I like it") and several AC/DC cassettes it must have been one of those two.

I guess I was a child of the late hippie/early disco era. Forgive me please. And to all you youths trying to imitate that era - we HATED bellbottoms! They got stuck in our bike spokes! Peace, man. Make love, not war. And get the funk up.

Thumbs up

What a cool question! I still own, and play, each recording listed below. These are honestly the first I owned in each medium. It wasn't until later that "Afternoon Delight," and other treasured, but often ridiculed, selections would later find their way into my music collection.

45: "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks. How weird that a fellow Fixxture listed this one too. Well anyways, I very vividly remember getting this one for Easter, and I played it to death. It was neat to recently learn on V-H1's "Top 100 One Hit Wonders" that "Seasons In The Sun" was first offered to the Beach Boys; only to have them turn it down because the group was having difficulties, at that time, with Brian Wilson. As a result, Jacks got the tune, and I don't think anyone could have sung it better.

33 Album: "Tea For The Tillerman" by Cat Stevens. To this day I treasure this album. My Uncle was big time into music, and I looked up to him quite a bit. He lived quite a distance away from us, and during one visit I had a chance to look through his massive record collection. One record caught my eye, and that was Tillerman. The cover art was awesome, and I was intrigued to learn from him that Stevens had done the artwork. Upon my return home, I soon thereafter convinced my parents to buy me the album. It is one of the greatest collections of music that I have ever come across!

Cassette: "In The Eye Of The Storm" by Roger Hodgson. I never really bought tapes because by dubbing them, they never transferred over to tape as well as vinyl. However, one day at a used record store I came across this cassette for a great price. I bought it because I was a big fan of Supertramp, and I was curious after Hodgson's successful single "I Had A Dream (Sleeping With The Enemy)." I wasn't disappointed!

CD: "GTR" by GTR. I don't remember this one as vividly, but I do know that this one was either the first, or second, cd that I ever owned. CD's were hard to find at the time, and I remember driving some distance into Chicago to a store that had a good selection. I went with this disc because I thought the single "When The Heart Rules The Mind" sounded pretty cool, and the disc had the then magical "DDD" rating for recording/mixing quality. I wasn't too aware of their other music on the cd, but they were being called a "super group," like Asia had been a few years earlier. As a result, I figured it would be a good first entry into cd's, and it was. The sound is very distinctive, and the guitar work is memorable, at least for me. Steve Hackett (Genesis) and Steve Howe (Yes and Asia) were quite a pairing!

-Take care!

Thumbs up My First Record

The first record I ever bought was Golden Earring, "Moontan". It had a gray cover with a picture of a person's ear with a golden earring on it. It came out in 1972 and it had 5 songs on it:

1. Radar Love
    2. Candy's Going Bad
    3. Vanilla Queen
    4. Big Tree, Blue Sea
    5. Are You Receiving Me

The songs were fairly long as well. It was the shortest album I ever bought on record in 1972 at the time.

Boy those sure were the good old days! Brings back so many memories listening to the old music and thinking about it as well. They will always be remembered as classics, whether we loved it or not. Music had a meaning back then compared to now where it's all just considered noise. The 80's I thought, was the best decade for music in my opinion. It was more atmospheric then. The lyrics were also very deep as well. The music had energy too.
    Last edited by thenewhorizons; 06-04-2002 at 12:26 PM.

Smile

I started listening to records when I was 4. My mom's record player was one of those you had to let 'warm up' before you could hear anything. I listened to Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire, the Everly Brothers Greatest Hits, and a Simon & Garfunkel album called Sounds Of Silence. The first record I bought was John Denver's Farewell Andromeda when I was 8. It took three week's allowance, but it was worth it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast