Thread: Starting a band . . .

Starting a band . . .

I am ATTEMPTING to start a band. I've played the drums since I was in middle school and I love to play. I've also written poetry for years and I can easily convert much of my writing into lyrics.

My interest in posting this information is to get feedback from anyone with experience in either starting a band or being in a band. I have no experience in starting one and I was in a band very briefly (until I got kicked out by my boyfriend's best friend). He wanted to be the drummer and we used his house to practice, so he won out (SUCKS!).

So, any advice, any suggestions, rantings, opinions, experience, quandries, disillusionments, etc.?

Thanx!

Unsightly Waif

well I'm not im a band but I know alot of musical people, plus my brother has been in several and Ive seen some of the crap hes dealt with.

off hand....

1. dont try to start bands with people only because they are your friends

2. practice and write religiously and keep an eye open for any oppruntunity to learn from experienced players

3. buy a voice recorder to save poetic/lyrical ideas whenever and wherever they pop up

4. get a good day job, from what Ive seen drumming can be very expensive

5. If you party save your "Critical Mass" level of intoxication until after the show
    Last edited by Octopulse; 01-25-2002 at 04:17 PM.

Thumbs up

Respect other/better musicians, but always believe in yourself! Do *your* thing and do it in 'good' style...

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for your input! It is helpful.

Especially the part about not using any friends in the band, I can just imagine the nightmare!

Since I live in Knoxville, which is a major college town, I don't think it will be too difficult to find musicians. There are a lot of clubs near campus that have bands play regularly. Even if we suck, one club will take just about any one!

It is very exciting! It may lead no where, but I love playing the drums and I hope that this may amount to something. I sure as heck am not getting any satisfaction from my job!!!

USW

Arrow

I say go for it UW! I always wanted to sing in a band but never realized that dream. If you can, take the opportunity and take a chance. Keep us posted. - I wish you well Kat

Talking It's making some progress!

Well, I've got my drums (an excellent Pearl double-bass set), and I'm getting up to speed.

I'm cruising ads and looking for opportunities to play with a group.

I hope something works out!

If The Fixx ever needs some help (no offense Adam), I'm ready!

Thanks all for your input and encouragement!

USW

U.W. Start out by going to your local music store and put up a posting for "drummer looking for other musicians to jam with" being that your a drummer means you have a place to get loud at and guitarist like myself dig that! jam with musicians of different styles this will get you away from that patternistic tunnel vision.
    "different flavors of music" in my household my parents played buddy holly, janis joplin,james brown,ike and tina turner,creadance clear water,franz schubert. this affected my guitar playing for the better.and most importantly avoid drug addicts!!!! take care U.W.
    REACH FOR THE SKY

in case you havent checked it out yet...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/

I think HC is a pretty neat place

theres also a forum for drummers at the bottom

Cheers

Thanks!

Thanks, again, to all for your input and advice.

I think it is important to avoid those with drug problems in a band. I think it will only create problems and I take my music very seriously!

I'll keep you all posted! Many thanks to The Fixx for inspiring me and being the group I first learned to play to!

USW

yes my brothers band has been practising for months and have dates lined up every weekend for the rest of the summer. Their drummer at the first show got drunk and messed up on one song causing the guys to start over, and he did the same thing last Saturday. First impressions are real important now for them right now, they wont put up with it for long, and theres another drummer begging to play with them right now, and he's just as good if not better, and the guy has no idea hes been in "negotiations" with my brother. Good drummers are hard to find, but theyre in a postion where he could be replaced without losing to many gigs.

Save the critical mass for after the show, and preferrably for when you get to your final destination, is certainly good advise, good luck!!!!!!!!!
    In germany some people say it's like medicine. It's good against heartattack. If it is a lie - who cares?

-- Heimo on red wine

Thanks for all the great advice Octopulse!

It is finally happening. I'm in a band! We are still practicing and getting used to the material and each other. The lead singer plays guitar and writes all his own stuff, he is pretty good! He is the one that put the group together. It's him, a lead guitarist and yours truly on drums! We have a pretty good sound going, I think.

We hope to be able to play some gigs locally in the next month or so! I will keep you posted! It is just such a joy to be able to play with other people and get the interaction and thrill of jamming together!

USW